New Gentoo user...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Instinct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:39 am    Post subject: New Gentoo user... Reply with quote

Hey all, quite a nice community there seems to be here.

I've been using FreeBSD for quite awhile now, but recently have hit a few walls. OpenGl and games mostly. Anything to lessen the times I have to boot to XP. :)

So this is actually my first linux OS, the BSD style ports system is what made me want to try it. Currently, I have it installed, some weird error messages on boot but it still seems to work (some forum searching called for) and is currently compiling KDE3. I have a feeling I'll be asleep before it's done. heh. A 10ghz cpu would be handy about now...

Hopefully the saving of my old home directory from freebsd will allow me to have almost the same exact system once everything is installed again. Then the fun of getting RTCW working...

Anyway, looks like I made a smart choice with this linux distro - though FreeBSD will remain my server without a doubt. I'll try my best not to post any dumb questions, but no promises. ;)

Oh wait, one question... among everything else I saved my old Xfree config file. I assume I can just copy this file to my new install... correct? I sure hope so... I mean Xfree86 4.2 is the same regardless of what OS it's installed on right?
gfunkmonk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you should be able to copy over yout X config file.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: New Gentoo user... Reply with quote

Instinct wrote:
I mean Xfree86 4.2 is the same regardless of what OS it's installed on right?

Correct, as with virtually any other piece of portable software, including your favorite MTA, your favorite web server, etc. (Oh, except for an interesting issue I ran into today: MySQL decides to change its case-sensitivity depending on the host OS. <sigh>)

Gentoo is a great distribution. And as far as community goes, heck, I'm in the forums even though it's past 2:00 AM. :D
Instinct
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 5:45 am    Post subject: Up and Running... Reply with quote

loving it! What a great distro. After lots of compiling, I've got my system back to where I had it, with the bonus that I've been able to play some Return to Castle Wolfenstein. And it actually runs pretty damn fast. Somehow throughout all of this I can't get XP to boot now (don't get me started) so I can't compare framerates exactly, but it seems to be pretty close.

As it stands I've only got one new question, and a few old ones that maybe the gentoo community can help with... so off I go. Again, great distro. Now if only blizzard would take linux seriously so I could play warcraft 3 without rebooting. bah.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: