gentoo branching
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beattie
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: gentoo branching Reply with quote

I don't really know much about this, but would it be possible/a good idea for gentoo to have different "branches" like debian does? Something like Stable and Unstable or something? This way you can have the people that want the MOST bleeding edge stuff installed, and people that want the MOST bleeding edge stuff that still works consistantly just update to thier level of stablility.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this link to an interview with Daniel Robbins of Gentoo. Here is the applicable information you seek:

www.tinyminds.org wrote:
TM: The current breakneck pace of Gentoo development can sometimes cause problems with broken packages, such as when a package was updated without first working out the little kinks. Are there any plans to split things into a "stable/unstable" branch?

DR: Before we consider a stable/unstable split, we're going to do everything we can to improve the quality of our single unified tree. If, after pulling out the stops, we find that a stable/unstable branch is necessary, then we'll do it. And by "it", I don't mean a utable/unstable split like Debian, but like NetBSD who sync up their stable and unstable trees every couple of weeks (so I hear.)

Otherwise, a stable/unstable split just becomes a means to accomodate sloppy developers. Our first step to improve quality is to do some serious QA.

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
abhishek
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is also i this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=10431
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: