Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Trying to find "proper" way to load sound and prin
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jjramsey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:13 pm    Post subject: Trying to find "proper" way to load sound and prin Reply with quote

So far I've got Ethernet and Internet running, and my next stops are printing, sound, and USB. I know about modules.autoload, but I also sort of know about modules.conf and aliases, and have noticed that things like configuring ALSA involves stuff about aliases, and I've noticed other distros do interesting things with modules.conf, although I'm not to sure why they work.

What's going on with all these aliases behind the scenes? How do I load the modules the Right Way(TM)?
Nebajoth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: The Gentoo Way Reply with quote

Just add the name of the module to modules.autoload - this should load the modules without any problem, assuming that you've compiled the modules with your kernel.

Changes made to modules.conf are global and dangerous, as they may break things quite severely.

Other distros have their own ways of doing things, of course, but in Gentoo, the extremely simple modules.autoload has been provided for your (and my) convenience. :)

Also, please note, that if you wish to have USB work, that support must be compiled into the kernel. If you have not done that already, you must do so to make it work.

The documentation for setting up a Gentoo desktop on the main page has a section on CUPS which you will find useful for setting up printing.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: