View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thrasher6670
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:50 pm    Post subject: Portage website - gentoo-portage.com Reply with quote

I am working on a new website, a web based version of the portage. I have just gotten started over the last week.

Here is what i have so far: http://63.139.18.186/projects/gentoo-portage/index.php

I am in serious need of a web designer, and i could also use a documentation writer and 1-2 more programmers (perl or php).

if anyone is interested in helping out, please email me at gentoo-portage@thrashcorp.com

anyone else, feel free to use the website for your own portage needs.

Last edited by thrasher6670 on Sat Oct 11, 2003 3:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Documentation, Tips & Tricks.
thrasher6670
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just finished adding support so that the new packages for the day are shown on the left.
im currently working on a login system, so that you will be able to add comments to packages and soforth.

i have found a designer and im hoping to get a new design in place by the end of the week.... i hope anyway.

if anyone has any comments about the site, feel free to post them here, i would be glad to hear them.

p.s. i have gotten http://gps.linux-lamer.com mapped to the address, its a little easyer to remember :)

have fun with the site ... enjoy
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea a lot, it would make a great feature for Gentoo. Have you thought about possibly adding multi server support, ie control a common installation on more than one box via the one web interface?
I hadn't planned on reviving my old perl and php skills but it seems I will.
Email me we can talk about doing this properly from the planning stages (if you haven't allready).

Regards.
thrasher6670
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i was thinking mroe of having this more as a web based resource. something people can use to look up portage packages, leave tips/tricks, comments etc....

never really though of using it as an actuall control program for a gentoo installation. control your install etc.... thats an interesting spinoff of the project. i will have to think about that.

the only trouble for me in doing something like that is that i lack the security skills it would obviously need for something like that.
guy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that is looking totally amazing. It will be such a killer resource when it's done! You should definitely look into integrating it with the main gentoo page...

Will it have info for both stable and masked packages?
thrasher6670
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guy wrote:
Wow, that is looking totally amazing. It will be such a killer resource when it's done! You should definitely look into integrating it with the main gentoo page...

Will it have info for both stable and masked packages?

already shows all masked packages, more info will come later. (it also shows the mask its using)

oh and it updates its "cache" of the portage every 6 hours (00:01, 06:01, 12:01, 18:01)
timfreeman
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work, this will be even more amazing when people habitually add comments to packages! Is there a way to also have a "related forum thread" field for each package? Or should this be part of the comments, like
"good thread on setting this package up with sparc: http:// ..."

I agree with guy about gentoo integration, this is something a lot of people will be interested in when they catch wind.. !
thrasher6670
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would probly be better if people link in their comments/posts to the thread on the board. i should have the comments working tonight or tomorrow.

login is now working, i would like to ask people to sign-up. i am planning on using the information given from people signing up for statistical purposes
Megaptera
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. A couple suggestions:

Perhaps some method of "bookmarking" packages, so you can track packages? Let's say I want to keep tabs on XMoe, KLarry, and GTKurly, whenever I log in I see a box below the New Packages section providing me with a quick link to each one of them.

Also, when you're browsing at the Portage level, the packages are ordered horizontally; I'm personally used to seeing the portage tree ordered vertically (as in the output of 'ls /usr/portage') and I'm guessing I'm not the only one like that. It might worth ordering it like 'ls' for the sake of familiarity.

Overall it's pretty cool. Nice look to it and easy to use. Once comments are in I think it'll be a pretty useful resource.
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I was a bit confused as to why this is necessary. There's already [ur=http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/pkgs/index.xml]an online portage directory[/url]. Now I see that you can check the status of any version of any package. Very cool indeed.

I suggest that you try to follow the web design of the main Gentoo site as much as possible. That will make it easier for people to use it, and make it much easier to integrate with the main site should that ever come to pass.
Retriever II
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, I like where this is going. Hopefully it'll really start flourishing with user comments pouring in. The way it's setup now on Gentoo, the each package has a one line description (if that) which is really less than helpful when I'm trying to look for packages to install.

If I wern't so bogged down allready, I would have loved to offer some PHP assistance, but I've alrlready got a backlog of work. I'll be following this though.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a good replacement for the old stable.gentoo.org site (which is down for a while).
Scorp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really cool idea!
I support you 100% man.
thrasher6670
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ectospasm wrote:
At first I was a bit confused as to why this is necessary. There's already an online portage directory. Now I see that you can check the status of any version of any package. Very cool indeed.

I suggest that you try to follow the web design of the main Gentoo site as much as possible. That will make it easier for people to use it, and make it much easier to integrate with the main site should that ever come to pass.

well the package listing on the main gentoo site works and all, i just feel its missing those little extras, per package comments ... a SEARCH, emerge -S is far too slow, and theres other that im sure will come up.

one im looking forward to implementaing if i can find a perl programmer is a replacement/addon to gentoo-stats, i wanted to make mine keep track of all the packages a user currently has installed that way we might be able to determine wich unstable packages are actually stabe (based on usage). this part is far off im sure.

and as for the look, i have a designer on board.. we'll see how this one works out, the last one flaked out on me.
tojo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah! This looks good :)
greg_g
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's simply amazing! I hope this can make all the the way to become a replacement for the "Online package database" in the gentoo website.

I see it can also replace the nearly defunct gentoo-stable: reusing same PHP code for polls and putting on the side a poll like "Do you think the unstable version should go to stable or needs more testing?"

Other (easier to implement) features: a box with links like
"view bugs related to this package"
"report a bug related to this package"
"browse cvs..."
"..."

and maybe a little interface just to say "version x.y is out" so that people does not report that sort of bugs to bugzilla.
Redeeman
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not php master, but if there is anything i can help with, pm me!!!
nekonoko
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find this site really useful for checking up on new additions to portage:

http://starship.python.net/crew/marduk/gentoo/

Though the ability to comment on items would be very cool.
nbrown
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some php and perl, drop me a pm and let me know exactly what you're looking for and I'll see how I can help out.

-nbrown
spp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely let me know as well. I have developed quite a few php websites and applications. This is quite cool and I have some ideas as well :)

SP
carambola5
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this would interface really well with actually executing portage commands. Think Webmin for portage....

First things first, though. What's the current backend? Is it db-based or file-based? Though using a db would be faster and more robust, it would be a detriment to morphing this project into a webmin-like program.

If you/someone was to go this route, here are a few ideas:
  • Queueing of emerges. Say, for instance, you want to emerge a bunch of things in sequential order. Then, partway through the process, one of the packages you scheduled is no longer needed. You should be able to pluck that one out of the "pending emerges" list.
  • Helpful hints. Stuff like "Don't emerge sync every two hours!" if the user sets a schedule like that.
  • On-the-fly USE flags. When you emerge something, you can specify extra USE flags via checkboxes.

Given the current state of portage, I think a program would be able to simply scrape most information from the output of emerge.

Ideas anyone?
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carambola5 wrote:
I think this would interface really well with actually executing portage commands. Think Webmin for portage....

First things first, though. What's the current backend? Is it db-based or file-based? Though using a db would be faster and more robust, it would be a detriment to morphing this project into a webmin-like program.

• Queueing of emerges. Say, for instance, you want to emerge a bunch of things in sequential order. Then, partway through the process, one of the packages you scheduled is no longer needed. You should be able to pluck that one out of the "pending emerges" list.
  • Helpful hints. Stuff like "Don't emerge sync every two hours!" if the user sets a schedule like that.
  • On-the-fly USE flags. When you emerge something, you can specify extra USE flags via checkboxes.

Given the current state of portage, I think a program would be able to simply scrape most information from the output of emerge.

Ideas anyone?

This is basically what I was thinking of. I'm going to start from scratch and start work on a "Web Based Portage Control Interface". I'm gonna start writing up my ideas and aims over the next few days and hopefuly end up with plan of hows its all going to work.
thrasher6670
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carambola5 wrote:

Ideas anyone?

well, yes this is what one of the devs is talking about, i feel it would be a great idea.. just that i lack some skills needed to do this. for now i would like to get this site up and runing, when its good enough to be concidered 1.0 i will think about starting up a project like that.

the site i use now is DB based, as it is online. another idwea one of devs had, was to be able to control other computers on the network .. multi computer emerges i.e. emerge open ssh on an entire network and restart sshd. but that is definitly very far off.

p.s. i think my designer flaked out again.. anyone else wanna give it a try?

-Progress Update- working on comments right now
Vishruth
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The apt-get org of gentoo... only better. This is wonderful! Thank you!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: