it's how linus dreamed it would be
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:51 am    Post subject: it's how linus dreamed it would be Reply with quote

i've spent almost a month of my life with gentoo exclusively. before gentoo, i was a slack advocate. before slack, i used redhat on and off. before that i had mandrake and before that(!) was SuSE 6.2. the first linux distro i ever attempted (and failed horribly).

this past month with gentoo i have done more with linux than i have the past 4 years with the other guys. with slackware, it was always the hunt for dependencies that i loathed. with redhat it was always the random installs and pain-in-my-ass rpm system that never seemed to want to work. with mandrake it was the incredible bloatyness. we're talkin INCREDIBLE. and unstable on top of that (the last time i installed mandrake, it managed to install EVERYTHING but the kitchen sink... oh, and it somehow forgot to put "make" in there too. suse... well... let's not go there....

i tinkered with freebsd and didn't like it. then again, im not much of a server kinda guy. more of a desktop guy.

gentoo. ooohhhh gentoo. gone are the days of dependency hunting. gone are the days of random installs (it's the same everytime folks - i've done it 5 times so far). and my GOD, it's so bloody fast!! i installed slack on another machine just as something to mess with and chat on while waiting for emerges to complete and it seemed so slow. which is strange, cuz i swore it was the purest and fastest distro out there. but alas, gentoo mops the floor with it! i read how other slackware advocates experience this pang of guilt when finally admitting their convergence with the glory that is gentoo.

but alas, let the guilt shackle you no longer, friends. gentoo is quite admittedly the finest linux distro available today. no other distro in the world can hold a candle to it. slackware never had a chance. the proof is in the pudding. patrick volkerding would want you to be happy, no? if gentoo makes you happy... i think you know what the right choice is ;) besides... did you really like manually compiling and installing all those dependencies yourselves?

let's not stop at the distro itself though. no sir. the gentoo community is a work of art in and of itself. it personifies the image that i had of linux back in 97' when i first read about it. the free software, and open source, and sharing of the code. it's what linux was meant to be! it's how linus torvalds probably pictured it back in 1991 when he made the monumental post to alt.os.minix.

this is the first time ever that i have seen such a friendly (and giving) linux community. novice and veteran alike can post without fear of derogatory comments or "f*ck you, it worked for me so you must be stupid". you have no idea how often i was told that when asking for help with linux. assholes like that are doing a great disservice to the linux community. but that's another story.

gentoo linux is perfect. i salute the gentoo team for a job well done. you should all be very proud of what you accomplished and know full well that you guys are quite simply the baddest mother f*ckers in the linux world today :mrgreen:

long live linux. long live gentoo.

Ryan Mesler
Gentoo Advocate
Scandium
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see people writing really long comments and not only "yeah, it's great !".

I really enjoy reading long comments since I am interested myself what all those people think about Gentoo...

And I really have to admit that it's almost perfect for me too (I am working on cutting out the "almost" ;) )
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

right on :)

now if only i werent a gamer, i wouldnt need windows ever again...

tho i hear more and more games are being brought to linux nowadays... one can only hope....
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:
now if only i werent a gamer, i wouldnt need windows ever again...

tho i hear more and more games are being brought to linux nowadays... one can only hope....

Try looking for Linux games in HappyPenguin or The Linux Game List, maybe you'll find something you like there.
Scandium
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a gamer a long time, too.

But since about 2 months I am fed up and finally will re-partition soon and delete my hda1 ntfs one ;)

I can live without windows and it was really just the games for me...

Strange...(Most new 'good' games work in Linux as well, so...)
Deech
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: it's how linus dreamed it would be Reply with quote

Quote:

did you really like manually compiling and installing all those dependencies yourselves?

Don't you just love portage! No more manually compiling no more rpm-hell :)

Quote:

the gentoo community is a work of art in and of itself.
this is the first time ever that i have seen such a friendly (and giving) linux community. novice and veteran alike can post without fear of derogatory comments or "f*ck you, it worked for me so you must be stupid".

This is SOOOO true!!
Come to think of it, did I ever thank all the ppl who helped me installing gentoo without network connection? Guess not....well BIIIGGG thanks to all of you!

Quote:

gentoo linux is perfect. i salute the gentoo team for a job well done.

Amen

deech
Scandium
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: it's how linus dreamed it would be Reply with quote

Deech wrote:

Quote:

the gentoo community is a work of art in and of itself.
this is the first time ever that i have seen such a friendly (and giving) linux community. novice and veteran alike can post without fear of derogatory comments or "f*ck you, it worked for me so you must be stupid".

This is SOOOO true!!
Come to think of it, did I ever thank all the ppl who helped me installing gentoo without network connection? Guess not....well BIIIGGG thanks to all of you!

I have to agree...For some reason, the gentoo community is very friendly and good to have as friends :)
In #gentoo.de there are about 20-30 people and all are ok, and you even can talk to devs in #gentoo and (even better ;) ) they do listen to users...
rphillips
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine tried Return to Castle Wolf in Suse, windows and within Gentoo. RTCW performed faster in Gentoo than in Windows and Suse. So fast, that he was able to up the graphics detail and resolution from his normal playing options.... To say the least for linux gaming; I was impressed.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yea, OpenGL games are incredible in gentoo. I installed quake 3. it wouldn't streach to fullscreen like windows so icranked up the resolution to 1280. Still higher framerates than windows at 1024.
nbensa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed this too. Quake3 is smoother in Gentoo Linux than in Windows. I'm glad I've leave Windows behind :-)
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: my thoughts Reply with quote

i have noticed that gentoo is not so much just an OS....

it is linux, it is an Operating system, but these forums seem to be just as much a part of the lives of people that run gentoo as the OS itself, its a community that other OS's just dont compare too, not even MacOS.

Gentoo is the number 4 linux distro..in such a short time..(distrowatch)

with gentoo quickly evoling, it will soon be even bigger. and the beauty of it is that its 100% customizable. sooner or later, someone will build some fancy gentoo configuration wizards, and when they do, they will be optional! unlike mandrake, when a fancy wizard has become the only way to do things.

you will just emerge gentoolkit-gui OR emerge unmerge gentoolkit-gui :)

the users have the most active participation in improving the OS through these forums. and the developers seem to be the same as the users, real people, they come and chat with us, and then go make the best linux OS even better.

i believe that gentoo is the best linux OS. no exceptions..

i am also on some other forums, such as the OpenBeOS and the BlueEyedOS forums, and i have spoken to guiallame(BlueEyedOS head developer) and suggested using gentoo as the underlying linux to his project and he seemed to think it was a descent idea.

all this from such a young distro..
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: my thoughts Reply with quote

syadnom wrote:
Gentoo is the number 4 linux distro..in such a short time..(distrowatch)

I agree with your post (my thoughts exactly), except that it is number 5 on distrowatch to be accurate.
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OR it is number 4 as of july 21 2002

Mandrake Red Hat Debian Gentoo SuSE Slackware Lycoris Beehive

that is a cut and paste, go their and see:

http://www.distrowatch.com/top.php
Scandium
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all those people saying that Quak3 runs faster:
Do you have low latency patches etc. in your kernel enabled ? And what about preemtpion ?

Some people say those radically cut their performance down and if they disable it it runs at a normal speed
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

syadnom wrote:
OR it is number 4 as of july 21 2002

Mandrake Red Hat Debian Gentoo SuSE Slackware Lycoris Beehive

that is a cut and paste, go their and see:

http://www.distrowatch.com/top.php

Looking at the ranking on their front page, Gentoo is listed 5.
Bosnian[X]
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, im not blind. Gentoo is number 4 and not 5 on Distrowatch.
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosnian[X] wrote:
OK, im not blind. Gentoo is number 4 and not 5 on Distrowatch.

It is listed 5 in the frontpage (on the right side) and 4 on the top distributions page. What's up with that :?:
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the front page that's page hits/day. Completely different order all together.
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

front page is just distrowatch's gentoo page hits per day,

while the top is how many users that they count are using gentoo.
mksoft
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me that their selection process is quite subjective.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: