Quick Search: in
[request] x0rfbserver ebuild
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: [request] x0rfbserver ebuild Reply with quote

The program in question is here - i don't know how to get the fscking thing to build, myself - it seems to require xclass, but i can't get that to make/make install either - or at least it looks like it's bugging out

x0rfbserver:
http://www.hexonet.de/software/x0rfbserver/

xclass:
http://www.hexonet.de/download/xclass-0.5.4.tar.gz

Anyone got this working?
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no ebuild wizard, so I shy away from that stuff. Just thought I'd drop a small note given I know nothing about your or your situation this may be useless. Why not just use VNC which already has an ebuild, unless of course I am missing something. The site you posted indicates that it uses the exact same protocol as VNC and that the clients should even operate together, so it seems like they are pretty well the same functionality. Right?

Regards,
BonezTheGoon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Close... Reply with quote

One difference - x0rfbserver exports an existing X session over VNC, so that i can mirror the display, or in the case of Win2VNC, i can have what appears to be a dual-monitor setup between two computers.
BonezTheGoon
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

Location: Albuquerque, NM -- birthplace of Microsoft and Gentoo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what you are saying is that you can have two computers and that you are controlling both with one keyboard and mouse but have two monitors up and it displays the two machines separately but lets you drag your mouse "across" to the other screen? How does the keyboard change from one to the other? Did I understand this or am I freaking out? Sure sounds interesting, wish I could wrap my brain around what you said. Can you elaborate? (This maybe sort of off topic and if you think it is you can feel free to private message me, or start a new thread even--But then again maybe one way to get the ebuild done is to educate us about how cool this thing is, maybe)

Sorry for rambling!

Timidly,
BonezTheGoon
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would guess that:

it works the same as having multiple monitors on the local machine. so the first monitor is DISPLAY :0 and the second is DISPLAY :1

functioning similar to multiple desktops with a pager program, but not actually roll the screen up and down.
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what it's like. It's quite the idea, having a dual-display system running on two different PCs, on two different operating systems :)

Gotta love VNC
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this would also be a rather easy way to set up a whole wrap around display for multiple monitors. in theory you should be able to have two NIC and 4 VID cards in 3 computers, a switch between them, and have 12 monitors all running as one desktop machine with MANY monitors. how else could you get 12 monitors on a computer? fun..

too bad X does not export a display fast enough to play quake3 across a network.

---

wel, thinking about it, why would you even need to use VNC? why not just set up an X server and use the remote display as desktop 2, and 3, and 4 etc.... X was designed for remote display, and you can easily set up X to display apps on a remote machine, export DISPLAY=$IPADDR:0.0 , i wish i had enough equipment to try it out.. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: