Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is gentoo-1.3-final going to base on gcc-3.2?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ypsilon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:03 pm    Post subject: Is gentoo-1.3-final going to base on gcc-3.2? Reply with quote

You maybe have noticed that the gcc-develplan was changed and
the gcc-3.2 will come out on tuesday.

As it is supposed to be the new default compiler for future distros, I hope gentoo will switch to gcc-3.2 with the 1.3 (or maybe already 1.3c??) release.
So is that planned?

Ypsilon
therobot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there isn't going to be a 1.3(or so I'm led to believe). When it goes stable it's going to be 1.4. Not sure about the gcc, but it'll probably be 3.2.
neuron
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therobot wrote:
there isn't going to be a 1.3(or so I'm led to believe). When it goes stable it's going to be 1.4. Not sure about the gcc, but it'll probably be 3.2.

that's what I'v heard too :)
Ypsilon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 7:11 pm    Post subject: Well,... Reply with quote

...now I read this:

We're currently in the final testing stages towards launching a release enabling a full installation with gcc3.1 as the default compiler

But wouldn't it be better to switch to gcc-3.2 instead of 3.1 as no one will care about 3.1 anymore in a few weeks?
trythil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But wouldn't it be better to switch to gcc-3.2 instead of 3.1 as no one will care about 3.1 anymore in a few weeks?

Not necessarily. GCC 3.1 has been extensively tested and error-checked, as you can see by the posts in this forum. The introduction of GCC 3.2, while it may pass over silently, could cause some ebuilds to break.

When you're going to upgrade, it's always wise to go with what you know works best.
xorbe
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trythil wrote:
Not necessarily. GCC 3.1 has been extensively tested and error-checked, as you can see by the posts in this forum. The introduction of GCC 3.2, while it may pass over silently, could cause some ebuilds to break.

When you're going to upgrade, it's always wise to go with what you know works best.

GCC 3.2 is no longer the "devel branch, GCC 3.3 is. GCC 3.2 is now GCC 3.1.1 + an ABI change to fix some bug, if I've figured their news out correctly. So it really shouldn't cause much breakage at all...
trythil
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

GCC 3.2 is now GCC 3.1.1 + an ABI change to fix some bug, if I've figured their news out correctly. So it really shouldn't cause much breakage at all...

Rule #1 of logical systems (e.g. computers): They aren't.

;)
proxy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would rather have a 3.2 system as it is not a big deal (1 day) either way to start from scratch or recomile whole system to upgrade...

proxy
Erukian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

proxy, im with your 100%.

When gentoo 3.1.1 comes out, and if gentoo 1.3c or whatever goes with that then a *few days later* gentoo will be outdated because a bugfix came out. People using stage2 or stage3 cd's will be stuck with a bugged out compiler thats not compatible with gcc3.2 binary's.

It seems like a bad move to go onto gcc3.1.1 even though its tested, why not release with gcc3.2? Gcc3.2 is the product of the testing of gcc3.1.1 so it cant be all that horrible to stick it i a gentoo 1.3(c/final)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erukian wrote:
When gentoo 3.1.1 comes out, and if gentoo 1.3c or whatever goes with that then a *few days later* gentoo will be outdated because a bugfix came out. People using stage2 or stage3 cd's will be stuck with a bugged out compiler thats not compatible with gcc3.2 binary's.
That suggests that 3.2 is more than just a bug fix.
hubick
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only difference between 3.2 and 3.1.1 are a few ABI bugs. The GCC folks could have just named what will be 3.2 as 3.1.1, except for the fact that you don't want to break binary compatability in a minor point release. As I understand it reading the list, the main reason 3.1.1 is being released at all is because Apple wants it. Moving from 3.1 to 3.2 is not, in my mind, something that requires a HUGE amount of testing, if anything, as it should FIX things rather than break them. Don't think of it as a major release, because the only reason it is being label as that is because of binary compatibility - other than that, it basically IS 3.1.1.

I think Gentoo should easily be able to upgrade to 3.1, and I hope they do, as 3.2 should finally bring a somewhat stable ABI and the binary compatibility everyone wants.
Forge
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we all make GCC 3.2 become 1.3c and move back the 1.4 release timetable. Simple problem, simple solution.

As soon as we have a GCC 3.2 ebuild, I'll just rebuild everything. emerge -e world ought to hit everything, right?
Scott Frappier
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

As soon as we have a GCC 3.2 ebuild, I'll just rebuild everything. emerge -e world ought to hit everything, right?

And pray that it re-compiles everything in one pass...otherwise you'll have to do it again and again and again, etc. (unless you stare at your computer and manually add the packages).

If you are going to go that route, check out the handy 'rmerge' utility that some guys made. It is what I'm using after my gcc-3.2-pre.ebuild finishes compiling and bootstrapping.

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=9638

Have Fun!
Scott Frappier
verwilst
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe, those assumptions you guys make is fun to read :o)

Here's the real deal:

Gentoo 1.4 will have gcc 3.2.
I already have a stage1 tarball, but i won't upload it yet, since i'm going to redo it, after we fix a couple of issues before the real work starts.
I'm going to do my best to get Gentoo 1.4 ready for the Expo on the 13th (i think), so stay tuned :o)

See ya!
Jyrinx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there gonna be a 1.3c release after all?
verwilst
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, since i'll be basing directly on GCC 3.2, i think it's more clear to up the version to 1.4 directly.
Jyrinx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. Well, I was planning to take the plunge when 1.3c came out ... will there be any test ISOs based on 3.2 before 1.4 is unleashed (theoretically) in a few weeks? (Or, how would one go about a fresh install of Gentoo 1.3b with GCC 3.2?)

Jyrinx
jyrinx_list@mindspring.com
caveman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a fresh install from a 1.2 disc using GCC3.2pre. Worked OK. You need to 'emerge rsync' then do the emerge gcc trick before bootstrapping (with -march=i486 -O3 -pipe) as has been described elsewhere. You also need to change the link to the default profile so that it points to the gcc3 profile and unmask gcc3.2pre before doing the emerge gcc. After this is done, change the processor optimisations to what you really want and bootstrap. After that everything went pretty normally. GCC3.2pre occassionally stops with 'Internal Compiler Error' but just restart the ebuild that it broke on. It does it less than GCC3.1 did though.
I've got KDE and pretty much everything else working fine now.

Just remember that any subsequent rsync currently remasks gcc3.2pre and an emerge -u world will then try to compile gcc3.1. You must remember to unmask gcc3.2pre everytime.
AlterEgo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe this a a really dumb question:

I'm thinking about binary versions of java/Flash and other binary-only packages:
Once they have been made available for use with GCC 3.1, will they also work with 3.2?
zigg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

caveman wrote:
GCC3.2pre occassionally stops with 'Internal Compiler Error' but just restart the ebuild that it broke on.

Knowing nothing about gcc3.2 like I do, usually phantom ICEs that go away when you run them again are a sign of bad memory, or some other hardware trouble. You're not overclocking are you? :D
caveman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've had GCC2.95.3 crash a few times on a overclocked machine (a slotA Athlon 750 clocked to 1GHz on a flaky mainboard) but this particular machine is actually clocked to the correct rated speeds (It's a athlonXP 1700+) and NEVER crashes using GCC2.95.3 and has only done it once using GCC3.2pre. It did it more often with GCC3.1 so I figured it was just buggy :wink: Bear in mind GCC3.2pre is a prerelease snapshot. It's not GCC3.2 final.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: