Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[HOWTO] Intel C++ Compiler and per-package CFLAGS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
Wrong. If you ever have build Gentoo for an embedded system, then you will see that bash is not the number one choice for an shell.

True, but all ebuilds are in bash, and eclasses in the tree are supposed to be able to rely on bash being available; forcing that to sh compatibility isn't the right way to get embedded builds imo, and only slows down the rest. A serious embedded developer doesn't build on the target ime. The only other use-case I've heard of that could possibly use it, is building for a PDA or a phone, and again I'd much rather see better desktop/host tools for that, than slowing ebuild/eclass devs down. If you really want portable sh, you don't even use [
a.b. wrote:
Honestly, I haven't even thought about the possibility that a bashrc might be sourced by anything other than bash so I didn't think about that while writing.
And in at least one place, I could replace use bash's '=~' operator to replace an ugly "cat | grep" construct which I find much worse.

That's called a useless use of cat; grep 'foo' file instead of cat file | grep 'foo'. (I am not looking at the original script, but cat | grep is always one of those ime, and you sound like a beginning shell-scripter; the url will be useful to you, if so.)
Quote:
Code:
while read atom data; do
      if matchatom "${atom}"; then
        if [ ${append} -eq 0 ]; then       
          ret="${data%%#*}"
        else
          ret="${ret} ${data%%#*}"
        fi
      fi
  done < ${1}

Does that kind of expression have a name I can google for?

It's called Parameter Expansion. This FAQ shows what you can do with it (the array stuff will not work in sh.)
BTW wrapping vars in unnecessary braces is a waste of time. You need to quote "$1" there however as it's a filename. You don't need to quote ret=${data%%#*} as word-splitting does not take place in assignments. You do with the second one as there is a space there. Note you can also use ret+=$foo in general (again the space there would necessitate quoting.)
You can also use if ((append)); then which would swap the meaning of the condition or if ((!append)); if you wanted to keep it as-is. (Assuming append is an integer string.)
http://wooledge.org/mywiki/BashGuide is the place to start if you want to know #bash.

edit: fixed [

Last edited by steveL on Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
True, but all ebuilds are in bash, and eclasses in the tree are supposed to be able to rely on bash being available; forcing that to sh compatibility isn't the right way to get embedded builds imo, and only slows down the rest. A serious embedded developer doesn't build on the target ime. The only other use-case I've heard of that could possibly use it, is building for a PDA or a phone, and again I'd much rather see better desktop/host tools for that, than slowing ebuild/eclass devs down. If you really want portable sh, you don't even use
Gentoo on BSD has some of the restrictions as well. So if you want a script to run on almost all of the Gentoo supported platforms, then go as portable as possible. I personally don't see a reason why not trying to support the others as well. And using the external commands in bashrc in Portage gives you errors/warnings. So why ignoring them?

// SteveB
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveb wrote:
steveL wrote:
True, but all ebuilds are in bash, and eclasses in the tree are supposed to be able to rely on bash being available; forcing that to sh compatibility isn't the right way to get embedded builds imo, and only slows down the rest. A serious embedded developer doesn't build on the target ime. The only other use-case I've heard of that could possibly use it, is building for a PDA or a phone, and again I'd much rather see better desktop/host tools for that, than slowing ebuild/eclass devs down. If you really want portable sh, you don't even use [

Gentoo on BSD has some of the restrictions as well. So if you want a script to run on almost all of the Gentoo supported platforms, then go as portable as possible.

If you can define the restrictions clearly and one of them isn't "no bash." Bash is portable in the same way GNU make is. It might not be that fast, but it's definitely fast enough (that script needs major optimisation, which we'll do for the next version, but it works fine as-is on my old desktop and screams on my laptop) and it might be bloated, but it's not that bloated. When you look at the range of tools that get pulled in to build all these packages from source, bash is really not a problem, imo. And binpkgs can simply be untarred into the root of the target.
Quote:
I personally don't see a reason why not trying to support the others as well. And using the external commands in bashrc in Portage gives you errors/warnings. So why ignoring them?

Well to be totally honest, I've never really used bashrc, so I don't have any experience of that situation; I was just answering wrt the "no bash" debate. It's much easier to maintain and write clean bash[1], especially for things like libs, than it is to maintain and write truly portable sh. Plus you can do a lot more without having to resort to eval etc. Yes you can argue that it should all be wrapped in an EAPI, so what difference does it make if hardly any ebuild devs can work with it? I'd argue that just makes it even harder for people to get involved, and doesn't give any long-term benefit in terms of use-cases, while also making the scripts a pig to maintain, when we all know devs are overstretched as it is.

I do agree with you however wrt non-GNU userland and the options that are used there. Personally I think there's a strong case for sticking to POSIX options wrt command line utilities, and allowing aliases or variables for say sed -r vs sed -E I think it is on BSD. (ie where the ebuild dev explicitly asks for an ERE.)

[1] Note that I don't actually consider Gentoo in-house style to be clean bash. ${var} is simply yuck in the general case, and often leads beginners into thinking they don't need quotes, and gives zero benefit but needs more typing (with awkward shift'ing which is really annoying when you know it doesn't do anything. Well it is for me, anyhow.) As for == in a shell script outside (( or [[ -n "$foo" ]] .. ;)
steveb
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveL! I did not wanted to attack you. In no way. I just said, that not everything is pure Bash in Gentoo. Look for example at Getnoo Bugzilla Bug 230690 and Getnoo Bugzilla Bug 235152. See that info about "let i++"? And it's such small things to which I am referring. Avoiding them does not cost much time and helps others as well. You are right about portability of pure Bash scripts. But that's not the whole game. I contributed some time ago a Bash script for a package and then some one complained that the Bash script does not work on his embedded Gentoo because he does not have Bash there. He could install Bash and things would be okay. But he has his reasons (which are from my viewpoint 100% valid for an embedded installation) and so I took the time to make the very small changes in order to get the script run under pure sh. It's not that much work. Especially if you are the creator of the original script, then changing it to be runnable under pure sh is as easy as 1-2-3.

But hey! Who am I? Nobody! No one needs to follow my advice. I just said that if a.b does not want Portage to bark about external used commands, then he should try to reduce the need for external commands. That's it. Nothing fancy.

// SteveB[/bug]
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveB it's cool I don't feel under attack from you at all :-) Sorry for sounding defensive.
i=$(expr $i + 1) is just awful; if you want to replace let i++ in POSIX sh I'd do i=$(($i+1)) since it doesn't require a subshell, nor a call to an external.

And yeah, scripts for a package itself, as opposed to for building the package, should be sh-compatible unless they are, for instance, to support a GUI app. initscripts must not require BASH sh, for example. == outside Arithmetic context works in sh when it's linked to BASH, but not in standard POSIX, and is usually an indication that the author doesn't really grok shell scripting ime.
steveb wrote:
I just said that if a.b does not want Portage to bark about external used commands, then he should try to reduce the need for external commands. That's it. Nothing fancy.

Yeah, I think that's why I became a bit defensive; I'd missed that bit of the conversation, and jumped in at the end about BASH vs SH. Sorry about that. (And I agree, of course.)

Ah found the link which best explains just how nasty truly portable sh gets. Reading that is very useful, I do recommend it, but I really do not want to be writing scripts like that in general, and if the package manager already needs python, or C++ and boost, you're way out of embedded space already (even C++ alone is not usually considered for embedded systems) and thus doing the standard "build on a host for a target" thing. Focussing on making that work properly is a much better use of developer time, imo.

(TBH even the thought of a shellscript interpreter for an embedded system seems wrong to me, but then I am old ;)

Another type of ebuild, eg a pbuild for python, could easily restrict the sh used since much more of the logic would be in python, and sh would only be called minimally, as in a Makefile, if at all. In that case, sticking to POSIX sh would be useful and would not impact on the maintainability or flexibility of the resultant builds or libs.
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have a "/etc/portage/bashrc" file in my system. Should I make one or is that something regarding an older system type?
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaidog wrote:
I do not have a "/etc/portage/bashrc" file in my system. Should I make one or is that something regarding an older system type?

Yes, you should create it.
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

|mattst88| wrote:
Thaidog wrote:

Yes, you should create it.

Thanks! It's working now. Do you know if the kernel will automatically compile correctly with Icc or do I need to apply a patch to it?

Last edited by Thaidog on Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well now everything I try to compile is failing with the exception of python. I am trying the "safe" packages and most errors say "emake failed". firefox 3 died with no error message.

Edit: the flags are: ICCCFLAGS="-O2 -xW -tpp7 -gcc"
I added -gcc and now some "safe" packages are comping but I screwed up nss for firefox and the 3.12 version is not making it:

Generating DSA Key Pair..../var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/nss-3.12/work/nss-3.12/mozilla/security/nss/cmd/shlibsign/./sign.sh: line 2: 20899 Segmentation fault ${2}/shlibsign -v -i ${5}
make[2]: *** [../../../dist/Linux2.6_x86_icc_glibc_PTH_OPT.OBJ/lib/libsoftokn3.chk] Error 139
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/nss-3.12/work/nss-3.12/mozilla/security/nss/cmd/shlibsign'
make[1]: *** [libs] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/nss-3.12/work/nss-3.12/mozilla/security/nss/cmd'
make: *** [libs] Error 2

"ERROR: dev-libs/nss-3.12 failed.
* Call stack:
* ebuild.sh, line 49: Called src_compile
* environment, line 2400: Called die
* The specific snippet of code:
* emake -j1 BUILD_OPT=1 XCFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" CC="$(tc-getCC)" || die "nss make failed"
* The die message:
* nss make failed"
ZeLegolas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: [HOWTO] Intel C++ Compiler and per-package CFLAGS Reply with quote

|mattst88| wrote:
I've rewritten Gentoo-Wiki's HOWTO on using the Intel C++ Compiler.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Intel_C_Compiler

The old guide was terribly written and horribly messy.

It also made Portage compile with icc unless you explicitly told it to use gcc. This is bad. Far too many packages don't work with icc to use this behavior. My guide makes Portage compile only specified packages with icc and all others with gcc which will save a few headaches in the long run. It also will give your system the ability to use per-package CFLAGS for gcc and icc!

Need feedback on the guide. Suggestions are welcome.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Intel_C_Compiler is gone :(
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: [HOWTO] Intel C++ Compiler and per-package CFLAGS Reply with quote

ZeLegolas wrote:
|mattst88| wrote:

It also made Portage compile with icc unless you explicitly told it to use gcc. This is bad. Far too many packages don't work with icc to use this behavior. My guide makes Portage compile only specified packages with icc and all others with gcc which will save a few headaches in the long run. It also will give your system the ability to use per-package CFLAGS for gcc and icc!

Yep. gentoo-wiki lost all its content.

I'm not planning to rewrite it any time soon.

This definitely shows the importance of off site backups. Mike Valstar: what the hell man? I know it wasn't your fault, but no backups?!
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: [HOWTO] Intel C++ Compiler and per-package CFLAGS Reply with quote

ZeLegolas wrote:
|mattst88| wrote:

Google has cached backups of most of the missing pages thank goodness:

http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache:1hKTU9cEvksJ:www.fr.gentoo-wiki.com/Intel_C%252B%252B_Compiler+Gentoo+intel+compiler&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=14&gl=ca
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone is interested in getting the cached version back into Gentoo Wiki, then be my guest.
ZeLegolas
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: [HOWTO] Intel C++ Compiler and per-package CFLAGS Reply with quote

Thaidog wrote:

Google has cached backups of most of the missing pages thank goodness:

http://74.125.95.104/search?q=cache:1hKTU9cEvksJ:www.fr.gentoo-wiki.com/Intel_C%252B%252B_Compiler+Gentoo+intel+compiler&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=14&gl=ca

When I execute emerge for icc i have this:
Code:
$ emerge -pv icc

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  NS   ] sys-devel/gcc-3.3.6-r1 [4.3.2] USE="doc fortran (multilib) nls objc (-altivec) -bootstrap -boundschecking -build-gcj -gtk (-hardened) -ip28 -ip32r10k -libffi -multislot (-n32) (-n64) -nocxx -nopie -nossp -test -vanilla" 23,534 kB
[ebuild  N    ] virtual/libstdc++-3.3  0 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-lang/icc-10.1.018  39,769 kB

Total: 3 packages (2 new, 1 in new slot), Size of downloads: 63,303 kB

Do I have to install gcc 3 to emerge icc????
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

|mattst88| wrote:
If someone is interested in getting the cached version back into Gentoo Wiki, then be my guest.

I don't mind adding that one back... just need to be pointed in the right direction on how to do it. Is the server back up yet?
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: [HOWTO] Intel C++ Compiler and per-package CFLAGS Reply with quote

ZeLegolas wrote:
Do I have to install gcc 3 to emerge icc????

Nope, icc depends on virtual/libstdc++, which depends on sys-libs/libstdc++-v3, sys-libs/libstdc++-v3-bin OR sys-devel/gcc-3.3*. You should install sys-libs/libstdc++-v3 (with --oneshot flag), and then install icc as usual, it won't pull gcc anymore.

I had this problem some days ago and I don't understand why virtual/libstdc++ try to install gcc first. Somebody can enlighten me?
thedarave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any timeline on when ICC 11.0 will hit the portage tree or should I just submit a bug with an ebuild for it?

As for the virtual/libstdc++-v3, that's probably due to when that ebuild was made. It probably should get revised on x86/amd64 to invert the order. There's still platforms that use gcc-3.3 as the default compilier (I think) which would be why the gcc-3.3 install would be the default. A little rewriting of the ebuild should fix that.
thedarave
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a toy for those that can understand what this is trying to do. If you don't understand what it's doing/does or how to work it, its probably not meant for you.

Yes, its a silly little item, but it fills a slight void I've encountered.

Code:

#!/bin/bash                           
clear                                 
export OPTLEVEL=2                     
export IPOLEVEL=2                     
export FPLEVEL=1                       
export PARALEVEL=1                     
export GCCVLEVEL=2                     
if [[ `cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -c " sse4"` -ne 0 ]]
then export INSDFLAG=" -xS"                         
elif [[ `cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -c " ssse3"` -ne 0 ]]
then export INSDFLAG=" -xT"                           
elif [[ `cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -c " sse3"` -ne 0 ]]
then export INSDFLAG=" -xP"                           
elif [[ `cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -c " sse2"` -ne 0 ]]
then export INSDFLAG=" -xW"                           
elif [[ `cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep -c " sse "` -ne 0 ]]
then export INSDFLAG=" -xK"                           
else export INSDFLAG=" -axS"                           
fi                                                     
export INSLEVEL=1                                     
grep -v "$1 " /etc/portage/package.icc-cflags > /etc/portage/package.icc-cflags.temp

while [[ 0 -eq 0 ]]
do                 
   if [[ ${OPTLEVEL} -eq 2 ]]
   then                     
      export OPTFLAG="-O3"   
   elif [[ ${OPTLEVEL} -eq 1 ]]
   then                       
      export OPTFLAG="-O2"     
   else                       
      export OPTFLAG="-O1"     
   fi                         
   if [[ ${IPOLEVEL} -eq 2 ]] 
   then                       
      export IPOFLAG=" -ipo"   
   elif [[ ${IPOLEVEL} -eq 1 ]]
   then                       
      export IPOFLAG=" -ip"   
   else                       
      export IPOFLAG=""       
   fi                         
   if [[ ${FPLEVEL} -eq 1 ]]   
   then                       
      export FPFLAG=" -fomit-frame-pointer"
   else                                   
      export FPFLAG=""                     
   fi                                     
   if [[ $PARALEVEL -eq 1 ]]               
   then                                   
      export PARAFLAG=" -parallel"         
   else                                   
      export PARAFLAG=""                   
   fi                                     
   if [[ $INSLEVEL -eq 1 ]]               
   then                                   
      export INSFLAG="${INSDFLAG}"         
   else                                   
      export INSFLAG=""                   
   fi                                     
   if [[ $GCCVLEVEL -eq 2 ]]               
   then                                   
      export GCCVFLAG=""                   
   elif [[ $GCCVLEVEL -eq 1 ]]             
   then                                   
      export GCCVFLAG=" -gcc-version=420" 
   else                                   
      export GCCVFLAG=" -gcc-version=330" 
   fi                                     
   echo $1 ${OPTFLAG}${IPOFLAG}${FPFLAG}${INSFLAG}${PARAFLAG} -gcc${GCCVFLAG} > /etc/portage/package.icc-cflags                                                                       
   emerge -1 $1                                                                           
   if [[ $? -eq 0 ]]                                                                       
   then                                                                                   
      cat /etc/portage/package.icc-cflags /etc/portage/package.icc-cflags.temp | sort -u > /etc/portage/package.icc-cflags.new                                                       
      rm -f /etc/protage/package.icc-cflags /etc/portage/package.icc-flags.temp           
      mv /etc/portage/package.icc-cflags.new /etc/portage/package.icc-cflags               
      exit 0
   else
      if [[ ${IPOLEVEL} -gt 0 ]]
      then
         export IPOLEVEL=$(( ${IPOLEVEL} - 1 ))
      else
         export IPOLEVEL=2
         if [[ ${PARALEVEL} -gt 0 ]]
         then
            export PARALEVEL=$(( ${PARALEVEL} - 1 ))
         else
            export PARALEVEL=1
            if [[ ${FPLEVEL} -gt 0 ]]
            then
               export FPLEVEL=$(( ${FPLEVEL} - 1 ))
            else
               export FPLEVEL=1
               if [[ ${GCCVLEVEL} -gt 0 ]]
               then
                  export GCCVLEVEL=$(( ${GCCVLEVEL} - 1 ))
               else
                  export GCCVLEVEL=2
                  if [[ ${OPTLEVEL} -gt 0 ]]
                  then
                     export OPTLEVEL=$(( ${OPTLEVEL} - 1 ))
                  else
                     grep -vx $1 /etc/portage/package.icc | sort -u > /etc/portage/package.icc.temp
                     mv -f /etc/portage/package.icc.temp /etc/portage/package.icc
                     mv -f /etc/portage/package.icc-cflags.temp /etc/portage/package.icc-cflags
                     rm -rf /var/tmp/portage/$1*
                     exit 1
                  fi
               fi
            fi
         fi
      fi
   fi
done

Take it or leave it, but I'm not answering questions about it! :P
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

icc is trying to install outside sandbox.
anybody knows what's happening?
packages can only be installed with FEATURES="-sandbox" without
ACCESS DENIED errors.
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tranquilcool wrote:
icc is trying to install outside sandbox.
anybody knows what's happening?
packages can only be installed with FEATURES="-sandbox" without
ACCESS DENIED errors.

Yes, this is noted in bug 246516.

I think the best thing to do at this point is stick with icc 10.1.xxx.

At some point, I'll also get around to transplanting the guide onto my website so we don't lose it again.
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone wants to compile their kernel with ICC please check out my project:

www.linuxdna.com

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/linuxdna-supercharges-linux-intel-cc-compiler
rufnut
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaidog wrote:

I thought you had given up for a while.

This ought to be interesting and may eventually be a good little kick for all those Atom based machines out there.

8)
Thaidog
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rufnut wrote:
Thaidog wrote:

This ought to be interesting and may eventually be a good little kick for all those Atom based machines out there.

8)

Down but never out 8)
tranquilcool
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thaidog wrote:
rufnut wrote:
Thaidog wrote:

8)

Down but never out 8)

i have tried to compile the kernel in many ways but it fails
with the pid.o errors.

Mod edit: Answered here in the support thread (see next post). --timeBandit
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has somehow slipped under the radar, for about a hundred replies. To wit:
Guidelines for Tips & Tricks wrote:
  1. This is *not* a support forum. Do not ask questions here. The moderators and myself would like to stress this point, if you do ask a question, your post will be deleted. Use the other forums to ask questions, if you are asking a question regarding a tip or trick, you are encouraged to include a link to the tip/trick you are referring to make it easier for other to help you.
I've split off recent discussion (to provide some context) to a new thread for support on this HOWTO. If you have read this far and still have questions, please post them there.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: