View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IWBCMAN
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I myself have just recently converted to gentoo. I started off with slackware back in 94 then after moving to germany I switched to SuSE, starting with 5.0 up to 8.0. My first experiences with linux were somewhat underwhelming---linux has moved lightyears since 94. Gentoo has taken over my PC now, it is the fastest, smoothest, best OS I have ever used- I have learned more in the past 6 weeks using gentoo than I did in 7 years of using SuSE....I still have SuSE on another partion(hmm, maybe I can free up 10 GB here....) and I am a user of Billshits software---(isdn answering machine, fax, and good printer and scanner support)...I am trying to get gentoo to the point where I can completely remove billshit but my webcam is not supported, my scanner is not supported, my isdn-setup has yet to master the art of faxing and answering calls. Don´t get me wrong I am not complaining- the list of things that aren´t supported are far outwieghed by the things which are not only supported, but which work excellently.....Although I am not a newbie, my programming skills are woefully out of date-I stopped programming about the time c++ came out- I hope to start again and really would like too, my first step is choosing which of the available newer languages are best for the things I would like to write...I have played around with java and have been very disappointed...I also tried mucking around with microsoft visual c++6.0 but that was a never ending nightmare(hell you need years to learn their convoluted API). I actually wrote my and compiled my first c proram under linux last week ! (I just wanted to see how one uses gcc and make) -its strange being a non-programmig programmer- all the programmer talk here in these forums is very familiar to me, sometimes I can even hunt down problems in .c, .cpp or .h files and have become a good .configure and Makefile editor....If only the investment time required to get up to speed writing code wasn´t so great...alas programming and writing a doctoral dissertation in philsophy in german(not my mother tongue) are hard to combine.....I recently had to do a class in formal logic- it remembered me of days gone by when I did assembly and pascal....except logic(smybolic logic fisrst order) makes perfect sense in regards to computers- and electronics(TTL''s etc.)-second order logic -wondefull for c++, but outside of its application in the technical world I see no point in it whatsoever....(that is unless you drop silly things like tertium non dature(the rule of the excluded third) then it gets interesting !) at any rate I have but one rant: I really, trully, totally, dislike VI(Iknow its heresey folks), nano is ok, but I love Joe...I statrerd using wordstar back in 1978, and everything Borland used these key combos---Iguess breaking a 25 year habit is just hard......please stick with nano, unelss thatis someone would considering offering joe.........
markpmc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Yet Another Slackare Refugee Reply with quote

Just as I was about to migrate from slack to linux from scratch I stumbled on the Newsforge mention of Gentoo. No reason to look back.

markpmc
kdf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phaze3k wrote:

One thing I really really hated was the awful nano that was forced upon me in the install procedure - vi would hardly have taken up much more space, and I wouldn't have had a broken fstab with ':wq' in it.. :)

Fully agree! I even consider it a bug that vi is not included there. On the other hand, it is still the only thing that I found wrong with gentoo. And it made it all the more rewarding to be able to emerge vim asap, to get back to unix sanity :)

kdf
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this thread for the debate. Please do not continue it here.
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: good stuff! Reply with quote

plm wrote:

Heh, here's another FreeBSD user (not ex-, my server keeps running FreeBSD) thinking exactly the same.

ditto here. The app/hardware(mainly laptop) support for linux and finally a decent distro (i've tried some other distros and hated them) finally pushed me over to gentoo. Of course my P200 server keeps BSD
syadnom
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guess what, you can emerge vi ass soon as you either decompress the stage 3, or finish the stage 1.. as soon as the file system in intact and you have chrooted into your new gentoo environment just "emerge vi"
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: