Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Gentoo on a Compaq Proliant DL380 (with SmartArray 5300)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AggieEmpeg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Gentoo on a Compaq Proliant DL380 (with SmartArray 5300) Reply with quote

After digging through this kernel docs, the web, and this forum, and about three days worth of work, I finally managed to install Gentoo on a Proliant DL380. Let me tell you, while installing Linux on complicated hardware like this can be a real pain, once it is up and running, the pain all goes away as you bask in the glory of a superior operating system screaming away.

My installation fiasco involved having to install Gentoo twice. The first time, I hacked away trying to get it to work and rendered my system unusable. The second time, using what I learned from the first attempt, went pretty well.

Anyway, the point of this post is to share my trials and errors with my fellow Gentoo fanatics. So lets begin...

Pre Installation Step
You will have to use Compaq's Smart Start software to setup the array to your liking. Since I already had my array the way that I wanted it, I skipped this step.

Installation Steps
1) Pop in the Gentoo install CD and boot away. Run through the login, probe your PCI bus, install your NIC module and any other modules you need (cciss - see next step). I was booting off the array so I only needed the array module and no other SCSI modules.

2) Because the SmartArray is a hardware based controller, the array(s) will be recognized as a physical hard drive(s) and therefore you will not have to mess with any software RAID settings at all. You will, however, need to load the correct drive module to gain access to the array. For a Compaq SmartArray 5300, this module is cciss. So you will need to load this module: modprobe cciss.

3) Right here is where I started having problems. All documentation on the SA 5300 mentions the /dev tree entries as /dev/cciss/cXdXpX, where the X's stand for controller number, logical disk number, and partition number in that order. The problem is, when I loaded the cciss module, this structure was a bit different. I found the following:
/dev/cciss/disc0/ with sub directories listed below:
disc - Entire disc

This doesn't cause any major problems yet. So run fdisk to create your partitions, keeping in mind that you must reference the above disk: fdisk /dev/cciss/disc0/disc.

4) After you create your partitions, your /dev/cciss/ should look something like this:
/dev/cciss/disc0/ with sub directories listed below:
disc - Entire disc
part1 - My boot partition
part2 - My swap
part3 - My root partition

During the first installation attempt, the /dev/cciss tree actually did not update after I wrote changes and exited fdisk. I couldn't figure out why so I just rebooted. Everything was fine after that.

5) Once your partitions are created, make your folders and mount your volumes just like the Gentoo Install Doc says with one important addition: You MUST make the /dev tree available to your chrooted Gentoo environment otherwise Grub will not recognize any drives on the system (unless of course you have other IDE or SCSI drives). There seems to be more than one way to do this. The way I found to be the easiest was to bind the /dev tree using mount:
mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev

Before I did this, I was pulling my hair out trying to get Grub to find my drive. I was editing my grub.conf, sifting through Grub docs, and trying Grub commands. After all that, I then discovered that I couldn't access /dev/cciss/ because it just wasn't there.

6) After chrooting and modifying any make files, install Gentoo just like normal. When compiling the kernel don't forget to add in support for the array (Block Devices, Compaq 5xxx Array Support) and any file systems you are using.

7) The next trouble point, as I mentioned in step 5 was Grub. But, if you bound /dev to /mnt/gentoo/dev, half of the problems go away. Grub actually recognizes a drive installed on the system. So I ran:
grub> root (hd0,0) - Worked like a champ.
grub> setup (hd0) - Crapped out on me

Grub told me that it was able to find stage1, stage1_5, and stage2. It was also able to embed stage1. When it tried to install the rest, it errorred with something like:
....install /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst
Failed!
Error 22 : No such partition

This one took some time to get around as well. I almost opted to install Lilo but decided against it since I have begun to like Grub more. The way I got around this problem was to actually manually run the steps that Grub's setup command runs, with one addition:
embed /boot/grub/efs2_stage1_5 (hd0) - success!
install --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/stage1 d (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst - success!

For whatever reason (I still haven't quite figured it out) you have to add the stage2 option. After this worked, I exited. I was time to reboot my server and cross my fingers for a login prompt.

8) Kernel Panic!! DAMMIT. I forgot about an initial ram disk image for my critical modules. Since Gentoo does not yet have mkinitrd in the portage tree, I decided to build in my array and filesystem support instead of modularizing them and manually installing mkinitrd. I recompiled the kernel with my changes, copied bzImage to my /boot and rebooted.

9) Kernel Panic! DAMMIT! DAMMIT! My above changes, while needed, had not made a difference in my desired outcome. This one took some time as well. Finally, after carefully reading the kernel panic message, I discovered that it was having some sort of problem accessing my root which I had set to /dev/cciss/disc0/part3 in my Grub menu.lst file. I dug through kernel docs to find a cciss.txt file that talks about adding the appropriate nodes under /dev. There is even a script located in the Documentation/ sub folder of the kernel source tree: mkdev.cciss. I made this baby executeable (chmod 744 mkdev.cciss) and ran it. After checking to see what it created, I noticed that the node structure now matched what I had seen mentioned before: /dev/cciss/cXdXpX. I went back to my menu.lst file and updated the root= parameter according to the new /dev structure and my partition setup:
root=/dev/cciss/c0d0p3.

Rebooted.

10) Hell yea. What I saw before me was a login prompt.

So that is about it. I then went abou emerging any other packages that I wanted.

Yes it was a long post, but if just one person benefits, my job here is done. :D
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.. 8O

This should probably go in the "Documentation" section. It's certainly written in that sort of form. Very good read though.. :)
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found while searching for something and agreed with Tristam29 on the location.
dontremember
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar experience installing Linux on a DL380 - looks like AggieEmpeg did pretty much everything I did.

There's one thing I would add, though - I was starting with a completely empty DL380, no OS, no floppies, no CDs, no docs. I found a pile of useful downloads on the Compaq website. Start at http://www.compaq.com/support/files and pick your server from the menus. They have everything from BIOS updates, diag diskettes, to RPM's for the system management stuff. Yep, that's right, Linux RPMs, not just DOS/Win9x stuff.

I'm not sure how well the RPMs would work with Gentoo, but the hardware monitoring would be worth the effort, I think. I've got RedHat on my DL380, but only because I hadn't discovered Gentoo, and now it's becoming mission critical, darn it!, so I can't easily switch...
mhaworth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info..
got me 90% of the way.
boots ok with the root=/dev/cciss/c1d0p1 reference in menu.lst
but complains when mounting with fstab.
modprobe cant load module /dev/cciss/c1d0p1
modprobe cant load module /dev/cciss/c1d0p2
modprobe cant load module /dev/cciss/c1d0p3

/ gets mounted as read only and df results in:
cannot read table of mounted file systems.

it seems at boot the structure is named c1d0p?
but after its booted up its all named /dev/cciss/disk0/part?

i know this coz because I can do:
mount /dev/cciss/disk0/part1 /boot

changing the entries in fstab to /dev/cciss/disk0/part?
doesnt fix the problem.

is there a parameter I can pass to the kernel to turn of devfs?
would this fix things?

thanks in advance!

M
mhaworth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tried turning off devfs by passing devfs=nomount to kernel.
It didnt fix the problem.
dontremember
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got through installing Gentoo on a Compaq Proliant 1850R and had the same problem. The way it seems to work for me is to simply ignore the /dev/cciss/c1d0p1format and use /dev/cciss/disk0/part1 format all the way.

In other words, in /etc/fstab:

/dev/cciss/disc0/part4 / ext3 noatime 1 0
/dev/cciss/disc0/part1 /boot ext3 noatime 1 0
/dev/cciss/disc0/part2 none swap sw 1 0

and in /boot/grub/grub/conf:

title linux-smp-2.4.21
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/bzImage-smp-2.4.21 root=/dev/cciss/disc0/part4

I actually have a Smart array, which shows up as /dev/ida, but I don't see why the above wouldn't work for /dev/cciss as well. Oh, btw, I compiled cpqarray into the kernel to avoid having to mess with loading modules. You should probably do the same for cciss.
mhaworth
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: mounting cciss filessystems on proliant dl380 Reply with quote

my /boot/grub/grub.conf looks like this:

title Gentoo
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage root=/dev/cciss/c1d0p3

Changing 'root=...' to root=/dev/cciss/disk0/part3
results in a kernel panic because at boot time the structure is in the
c?d?p? format.
However, it makes no difference whether fstab contains the 'disk0/part?' format 'c?d?p?' it still mounts / as readonly and df results in a 'cannot read table table of mounted filesystems' Grrr!
And /dev/cciss/disk0/part1 will happily mount to /boot.
Why does root not mount properly from fstab, you'd think it'd mount ok as /dev/cciss/disk0/part3.

any other ideas?

afterthought:
How come, when booting off cd the c1d?p? exist in /mnt/gentoo/dev/cciss but they don't when booting off disk?
disk: ls /dev/cciss/ = disk0
cd: ls /mnt/gentoo/dev/cciss = c?d?p?...
root66
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: Thanx! Reply with quote

I wanted to say a big THANK YOU to AggieEmpeg!
You saved me a lot of time and coffee...

I experienced EXACTLY the same problems and now i have a wonderfully running ;-) penguin on my smart array 5300 8-)

Again, thanx!

-----------

Quote:

Why does root not mount properly from fstab, you'd think it'd mount ok as /dev/cciss/disk0/part3.

Why not post your fstab?

I used the /dev/cciss/cxdxpx scheme in my fstab, which looks like this:

Code:

/dev/cciss/c0d0p1       /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 1
/dev/cciss/c0d0p5       /               reiserfs        noatime,notail          0 0
/dev/cciss/c0d0p6       /home           reiserfs        noatime,notail          0 0
/dev/cciss/c0d0p3       none            swap            sw                      0 0
[/i]
rumba
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm also using a Compaq DL 380 with a Compaq 431 Smart Array. I'm always using /dev/discs/...

Since the devfs introduction that's my preferred way to access my discs. No matter if it's IDE, SCSI, or some of the more exotic block devices like the mention RAID controllers, they just appear in /dev/discs/...

Just my 2 cents
sc0000b
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: DL360 with 'cpqarray' instead of 'cciss'? Reply with quote

has anyone here installed gentoo with the 1.4 install-cd on a compaq dl360 (first generation) with lilo as bootloader?

afaik it needs the module 'cpqarray' instead of 'cciss'.

the gentoo-disk recognises the array-controller at boottime and sees the logical drive at /dev/ida/disc0/disc resp. the partitions as /dev/ida/disc0/part*

then everything works well until i get to configure lilo. as soon as i type /sbin/lilo /dev/ida/disc0/* stops to exist. 'ls /dev/ida/' gives me lots of devices named 'c0d*'. /sbin/lilo doesn't accept /dev/ida/disc0/* as input in lilo.conf and i've to change it to /dev/ida/c0d* so that /sbin/lilo works.

i reboot the machine, lilo shows up, i choose the kernel to boot, it boots until a certain point where it says that i should enter a correct "root=" entry.

any idea?

cheers
javier
bmedwar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: cpqarray problems Reply with quote

I'm installing 1.4-Release on Compaq Proliant 800 with SMART-2/DH RAID controller. I saw the problem where prior to chroot you have /dev/ida/disc0/ and after

chroot you have /dev/ida/c0d0. I tried to remedy this with the following command

prior to chroot-ing (from chapter 28 in the install guide)...

This succeeds in making the disk appear as /dev/ida/disc0/ after the chroot. I

ran genkernal again and noticed this...

cdimage / # cat /var/log/genkernel.log
* Creating initrd...
Warning: sd_mod.o not found; skipping...
Warning: sg.o not found; skipping...
Warning: sr_mod.o not found; skipping...
Warning: ide-cs.o not found; skipping...

I also did the stage2 thing in grub config.

grub> setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0)

I have /boot/grub/grub.conf setup to provide me two boot options, (1) with

root=/dev/ida/disc0/part4 and (2) with root=/dev/ida/c0d0p4. Both of these

produce errors on boot:

(1)
VFS: Cannot open root device "ida/disc0/part4" or 00:00
Please append the correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

(2)
VFS: Cannot open root device "ida/c0d0p4" or 48:04
Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 48:04

Here is some other info (after chroot)...

cdimage / # dmesg | grep -E "(ida)|(cpqarray)|(scsi)|(SCSI)"
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2
cpqarray: Device 0xae10 has been found at bus 2 dev 0 func 0
cpqarray: Finding drives on ida0 (SMART-2/P)
cpqarray ida/c0d0: blksz=512 nr_blks=16768800
ida/c0d0: p1 p2 p3 p4
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on ida0(72,1), internal journal

cdimage / # lsmod
Module Size Used by Tainted: GF
loop 8728 0 (autoclean)
tlan 24088 1
cpqarray 19332 3
floppy 47004 0 (autoclean)
serial 48932 0 (autoclean)
isa-pnp 28100 0 (autoclean) [serial]
cloop 5520 1
usb-storage 59372 0 (unused)
hid 12564 0 (unused)
usbcore 55712 1 [usb-storage hid]

the following is prior to chroot...
cdimage root # cat /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.12 2003/03/11 02:50:53 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns of atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency). It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

# <fs> <mountpoint> <type> <opts> <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/ida/disc0/part1 /boot ext3 noauto,noatime 1 1
/dev/ida/disc0/part4 / reiserfs noatime 0 0
/dev/ida/disc0/part2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none /proc proc defaults 0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
# use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

cdimage root #
bmedwar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 5:45 pm    Post subject: cpqarray problems Reply with quote

I'm installing 1.4-Release on Compaq Proliant 800 with SMART-2/DH RAID controller. I saw the problem where prior to chroot you have /dev/ida/disc0/ and after

chroot you have /dev/ida/c0d0. I tried to remedy this with the following command

prior to chroot-ing (from chapter 28 in the install guide)...

This succeeds in making the disk appear as /dev/ida/disc0/ after the chroot. I

ran genkernal again and noticed this...

cdimage / # cat /var/log/genkernel.log
* Creating initrd...
Warning: sd_mod.o not found; skipping...
Warning: sg.o not found; skipping...
Warning: sr_mod.o not found; skipping...
Warning: ide-cs.o not found; skipping...

I also did the stage2 thing in grub config.

produce errors on boot:

(1)

(2)

Here is some other info (after chroot)...

cdimage / # dmesg | grep -E "(ida)|(cpqarray)|(scsi)|(SCSI)"
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
cpqarray: Device 0xae10 has been found at bus 2 dev 0 func 0
cpqarray: Finding drives on ida0 (SMART-2/P)
cpqarray ida/c0d0: blksz=512 nr_blks=16768800
ida/c0d0: p1 p2 p3 p4
EXT3 FS 2.4-0.9.19, 19 August 2002 on ida0(72,1), internal journal

cdimage / # lsmod
Module Size Used by Tainted: GF
loop 8728 0 (autoclean)
tlan 24088 1
cpqarray 19332 3
floppy 47004 0 (autoclean)
serial 48932 0 (autoclean)
isa-pnp 28100 0 (autoclean) [serial]
cloop 5520 1
usb-storage 59372 0 (unused)
hid 12564 0 (unused)
usbcore 55712 1 [usb-storage hid]

the following is prior to chroot...
cdimage root # cat /mnt/gentoo/etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.12 2003/03/11 02:50:53 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns of atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency). It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

# <fs> <mountpoint> <type> <opts> <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/ida/disc0/part1 /boot ext3 noauto,noatime 1 1
/dev/ida/disc0/part4 / reiserfs noatime 0 0
/dev/ida/disc0/part2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none /proc proc defaults 0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
# use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none /dev/shm tmpfs defaults 0 0

cdimage root #
knoxville
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i did everything you guys said, nothing seems to help.

it always hangs when it wants to check the partition cciss/c0d0

please help
Daemonfly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my 1st gen ML350 with Smart Array 221, I have everything in a JBOD config. Drives/partitions are under /dev/ida/disc0/partxx

had to do:

mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev" (outside the chroot.)
grub> root (hd0,0)

For the grub.conf:

root=/dev/ida/disc0/part6
knoxville
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thing is grub works, but during boot the kernel hangs when it wants to do the partition check, i dont know what it could be
toskala
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got my proliant ml350 working the only thing i miss are the hardware monitor stuff at all.

anyone who has a hint for me how to install that stuff, maybe the suse enterprise server rpms work?

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/72_4678.html

this link shows up the software *puzzled* 8O
volumen1
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Thank you AggieEmpeg Reply with quote

This reply doesn't address toskala's question (sorry about that).

I just wanted to thank AggieEmpeg for this post. With it, I was able to get Gento rocking on my HP DL360.

I was also able to follow the general idea of the post to install Gentoo on a Compaq Proliant 3000. The 3000 actually uses the cqparray module (and the logical drives show up as /dev/ida/disc#/), but otherwise it was still helpfull. The only thing I didn't have to do with the 3000 was run the makedev script for cqparray (I'm not even sure if there is one).

Anyway, I just wanted to post this info in case anyone else is trying to get Gentoo running on either of these machines.
Black
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: cpqarray problems Reply with quote

bmedwar wrote:
I'm installing 1.4-Release on Compaq Proliant 800 with SMART-2/DH RAID controller. I saw the problem where prior to chroot you have /dev/ida/disc0/

Code:

I had the same exact problem this week. It turns out that the Compaq Array driver was built as a module by the genkernel tool. So I used the config genkernel created, but I changed from module to built-in, and that did the trick.

If you're looking for that option in make menuconfig, it's under Block Devices, Compaq Smart Array 5xxx Support.
cshields
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:58 pm    Post subject: Kernel Panic fix Reply with quote

If you are having problems trying this on a next-generation proliant (ala DL380 G3) this might help. I was having a kernel panic problem similar to below:

VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem).
VFS: Cannot open root device "cciss/c0d0p3" or 68:03
Please append a correct "root=" boot option
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 68:03

Well, with the newest generation of Proliant servers, there are 3 PCI slots, with the first 2 slots being hotplug PCI. In most cases, HP ships the proliants with the raid controller in PCI slot 1. In your kernel, you need to have Hotplug PCI support turned on with the Compaq Hotplug PCI driver compiled in (not as a module, same story with your cciss raid driver)

Hope this helps someone.

Cheers!
ahoogerhuis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've jsut worked through installing a handfull of DL360G3's at a customer site and decided to go down the bold and marvelous route of the 2.6 kernel and udev, with no devfs and here are my notes on it:

* The DL360G3 uses the cciss-driver

* In plain 2.4 kernels the devices (with devfs) will appear as /dev/cciss/discX/partX
* In plain 2.6 kernels the devices (with devfs) will appear as /dev/cciss/hostX/discX/partX
* In plain 2.6 kernels the devices (with udev) will appear as /dev/cciss/cXdXpX

Between the Gentoo 1.4 and LiveCD 2004.0 CDs there are some subtle differences, as one will end up with the /dev/cciss/host-scheme and the other skips the "host" directory denoting the controller number.

I have not yet found a way to get grub to play on 2.6 kernels, but I've successfully used the chroot environment of the 2004.0 LiveCD to install grub, and it does so without a hitch, no extra options (except one of the machines I bunged it and now it won't use the stage2-bit, and i get dropped into the grub-prompt on boot, reinstalling with the --stage2-option tomorrow will likely flush this problem).

Apart from that, the Gentoo 1.4 stage1 CDs cannot successfully be used to install these machines in my experience, as I get random machine hangs during load, but the 2004.0 LiveCD does it beautifully.

Apart from that, I'm not sure the disks are hotpluggable on the machine, or if it is Linux not liking it; I tried pulling a disk (mirrored disks) and it froze the OS, identical on 2.4 and 2.6.

A last thing, when using the 2004.0 LiveCD, boot it with this command line: "gentoo-nofb pci=noacpi", as the ACPI tables are not 100% according to neither 2.4 and 2.6.

Currently the machines are running 2.6.3-mm3 with a few small patches (one about sync hanging the machine) and has been running "emerge -e world" for a few days and they are behaving nicely so far.

Over the weekend I'm going to investigate the rpm's available at hp.com to see what fun bits might be gotten from these. Especially if turns up something to get environmental events form the boxes :)

Two more bits:

* When building from stage1, I've had problems with using "perl" in my USE-settings, so I added that after it came up and did an emerge -e world.

* As long as you're using the ~x86 keyword and /usr/src/linux points into a 2.6 kernel and you're running on 2.6, then doing a "emerge glibc" will nicely rebuild it and make it use NPTL, but with 2.4 kernel-headers, and all is well.
powergen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Gentoo on a Compaq Proliant DL380 (with SmartArray 5300) Reply with quote

AggieEmpeg wrote:

8) Kernel Panic!! DAMMIT. I forgot about an initial ram disk image for my critical modules. Since Gentoo does not yet have mkinitrd in the portage tree, I decided to build in my array and filesystem support instead of modularizing them and manually installing mkinitrd. I recompiled the kernel with my changes, copied bzImage to my /boot and rebooted.

AggieEmpeg, you say you had built in array and filesystem support, you mean you had a monolithic kernel?

And which changes you made in order to get init in place?

I'm in the very same situation and I'm just stuck ... monolithic kernel too .. should I switch to modules-based?

Thanks, powergen
sancho5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: cpqarray problems Reply with quote

Quote:

produce errors on boot:

(1)

(2)

Try making sure that you have SMART2 support enabled in your kernel (non-modular) and not just the Compaq Smart Array (cpqarray). We were able to get a DL360/G1 booting by enabling that option and specifying the root device as /dev/ida/disc0/part3 in the grub.conf and /etc/fstab.

HTH

DS
utabintarbo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: cpqarray problems Reply with quote

sancho5 wrote:
Quote:

produce errors on boot:

(1)

(2)

Try making sure that you have SMART2 support enabled in your kernel (non-modular) and not just the Compaq Smart Array (cpqarray). We were able to get a DL360/G1 booting by enabling that option and specifying the root device as /dev/ida/disc0/part3 in the grub.conf and /etc/fstab.

HTH

DS

Ditto for PL1600 & 3000 with Smart2* controllers. :D

And in case it wasn't apparent, sarcasm is yet another of the free services I offer. :roll:
RoadRunn
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add my 2 cents.

Proliant 6500 with Smart-2/P.

Using cpqarray and mapping as:

/dev/ida/c0d0/disc
/dev/ida/c0d0/partX

I don't have a /dev/ida/discX

Also had to use the "mount -o bind /dev /mnt/gentoo/dev" to get grub to install from Universal LiveCD 2004.1.

My grub.conf (from using genkernel):

Code:

default 0
timeout 10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.6.5-r1
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-2.6.5-gentoo-r1 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/ida/c0d0/part3 doscsi
initrd /initrd-2.6.5-gentoo-r1
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: