piss performance
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nizZy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: piss performance Reply with quote

I cannot say im satisfied with gentoo. Of course ive must done somthing wrong cuz my 1.4g t-bird has a cpu-load at 100% and a fps at 30-40 running "fastest" conf. Earlier my computer locked up every 5 seconds when I emerged something or was copying files. That problem is solved due to a DMA problem. But still piss cpu perfomance. And on my pIII machine as well. It rocked witch slack. Cant fuckin believe this. Installed both machines from stage1. Any ideas?
smtanner
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems this could be caused by anything. Perhaps some incorrect kernel configuration or a mistake in the make.conf file. It's hard to give suggestions without details. I can tell you that for me, gentoo is noticeably faster than any other distribution I have used (libranet, suse, mandrake, and redhat). The best suggestion I can give is move this post to another section so it will get more views, perhaps the installing gentoo section.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second that. Gentoo is faster in terms of load time and responsiveness than any of the three or four other distros I've run on this box. If you know what you're doing with Gentoo, you can optimize the crap out of it; my box boots up, X included, from power off to ready-for-use in 23 seconds flat. RedHat was over triple that.

Quote:
cpu-load at 100% and a fps at 30-40 running "fastest" conf

Uhh... what are you running? Quake 3? Tux Racer? A screensaver? What? Is your computer using your 3d accelerator?
JefP@@
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there's smth seriously misconfigure on your system ...

you should run a top while doing nothing .. if you're cpu is in use (more then 2 %) there are processes running that are locking up your system ...

try dmesg for more information ...
ps ax for running tasks etc...

there's a problem you're just missing, when you find it, I'm quite sure you'll be amazed of the speed up, regarding your old slackware box (I used slackware too, bofore gentoo)

Grtz
jtmace
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had this problem with Mandrake. my CPU was bombed at at least 80% at all times. for some reason tho this doesnt surprise me being how bloated it is..

make sure you only compile features into your kernel that you need. make sure you compile support for your particular motherboard chipset. make sure your hard drive is utilizing DMA mode transfers.. ditch any bloated window managers and run flux... then see if anything works better..

thats why i love gentoo.. my cpu is almost always under 1% idle, and my top output only has ~15 running processes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: