Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbalasus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great ! it works !!!
yes now I see As I changed to gentoo the button was missing...
very special thanks..
aleunix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello i use icewm from some days.
I like this small environment.
I have some questions.
How could run scripts or execute commands with line pipe calling from menu items?

Bye Ale :)

Note:
Even if I do not use gentoo I subscribed to this forum for this section on icewm. :)
rbalasus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, can you explain more detailed, what you exactly want to do.
You want run scripts from menu ??
REGARDS Randolf Balasus
aleunix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks rbalasus for you availability. :)

I would like add a voice on file menu with start a script that i using for take a screenshot of my screen.
This is the content:

xwd | convert - ../snapshots/$(date -j +%Y%m%d%H%M%s).png
ilborg
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried icewm couple of times but everytime I get frustrated with tweaking it to a bit more usable.

-Now trying to find firstly how to get that ugly default theme changed from the menu.
-I don't like flashy things in my desktop so I would prefer clock to show only hours and minutes.
-That crappy windows-style start menu. It's faster to write a command than to try find anything from submenus submenu.
-There is no icons in desktop pager to show what programs are running on which desktop.

To menu problem I found a partly solution. Make "quick launch", but instead of making them to start program, make to menu. That way you get more programs to "quick launch" and allmost as fast. Icewm default settings are something awful and before I think it's ready the defaults should been made better, so that you can use it for a while before tweaking. Fast and lightweight indeed anyway and quite configurable. I have replaced openbox with icewm in couple of systems when using lxde-desktop.

I have been using fvwm-crystal for some time and there is couple of great innovations what I just can't find in any other window manager. One of the greatest are a really nice quick launch: with left mouse button you open a submenu of that program category. Right mouse button quick launches categorys default program. Like with left button you open internet category and right runs a browser. Really neat. Otherwise it's just fvwm with quite nice default settings. Just problem came with virtual desktops which arent really virtual deskop by xorg definition. They are just different cordinates and relativities and some programs remember their cordinates where they are closed. Nice when program remembers that it was closed in 15000x,10y and next time starts in that non existing position(or virtual):lol:
Tony0945
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut and paste doesn't seem to work in IceWm. Any hints or tips on how to turn it on?

Also, does anyone have a download link to the fake95 theme? I'm building a gentoo installation to replace a crashed WinME (the champion crashing machine) on an old Compaq Pentium3 box.

Icewm would seem to be the best choice for memory footprint and familiarity to a Windows user. I'm using Gnome on my machine, but unless you have Gigs of memory and a dual core (which I do), it doesn't seem to be the choice.
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cut-and-Paste is working fine for me.

Can you give an example of where Cut-and-Paste is working in Gnome, but not working in IceWM? Maybe Gnome has another way of performing this operation that I haven't run across.
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony0945 wrote:
Also, does anyone have a download link to the fake95 theme? I'm building a gentoo installation to replace a crashed WinME (the champion crashing machine) on an old Compaq Pentium3 box.

http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/fake95/

Or you could tell them that you are upgrading them to XP by using this one:

http://themes.freshmeat.net/projects/1in1-xp/

:twisted:
ssokolow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely lots of great tips in this thread. Here are mine:

1. The IceClearlooks2 theme.
2. x11-misc/gmrun
3. IconPath="/usr/share/icons:/usr/share/pixmaps:/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps"

The first gives you the benefits of Clearlooks window frames (easy on the eyes, compact, modern enough in appearance, ) without having to use Metacity.

The second is the only Run dialog I've ever found which is lightweight yet as flexible and feature-rich as IceWM itself. (Tab completion, history, URL and extension-based launcher associations, and more)

The third lets you reference the vast majority of application icons using the same concise, relative syntax you'd use with x11-themes/iceicons or inside /usr/share/applications/*.desktop

EDIT: Oops. Almost forgot the best part. x11-misc/pcmanfm will give you a file manager with a lot to recommend it:

• It looks and feels like Thunar (familiar and comfortable)
  • Unlike Thunar and Nautilus, it has a tabbed UI (Big reason I used to use Konqueror 3.x on desktops like GNOME and Xfce while experimenting)
  • Despite being a GTK+ 2.x app, its GUI is more responsive than Xfe's (feels more lightweight despite not being ugly and Motif-like :P )
  • Optionally but without noticeable extra bloat, it can handle drawing filesystem-backed desktop icons and setting a background using a preview-enabled dialog and it can pass non-icon right-clicks through to IceWM. (Perfect for migrating less tech-savvy family members over to IceWM or for getting a right-click launcher menu and desktop icons without resorting to KDE 3 or Xfce)
[/list]
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing more activity in the IceWM project than I've seen in a while.

They have picked up the pace of releases in the 1.3.x series.

I am currently using 1.3.7_pre2, and it's working well for me.

To be honest, though, I'm not sure what improvements are incorporated in the 1.3 series over the 1.2 releases.

But at least it's re-assuring to see a somewhat steady stream of minor releases.

I was able to use a 1.3.6 ebuild supplied in Gentoo's Bugzilla (https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=316641) and rename the ebuild to 1.3.7_pre2 without any additional changes.

There is also a very similar 1.3.7_pre2 ebuild in another Gentoo forum topic (Startup file in IceWM not working [SOLVED])

I would suggest against enabling the 'gnome' USE flag. This enables an internally generated menu scheme which is a great idea, but it isn't doing a very useful job of interpreting the .desktop entries in /usr/share/applications.

Anyhow, it's good to see some activity in this project again.
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see where an icewm-1.3.7 final was released on Oct. 31 a few days ago.

I think you can get an ebuild from the jasiu overlay (I just renamed my 1.3.7_pre2 local ebuild and it worked fine).

Although it doesn't appear there are too many changes from the 1.3.7_pre2 release other than a few bug fixes.
b105
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Gentoo users! Check out my IceWM look: http://postimage.org/image/29ukmoxic/ .
valerios
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charlieg wrote:
Haha evidently not! :twisted:

I use icewm. :P
jonathan183
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tip for IceWM is to setup the menu with your favourite apps in the same place and use menumaker to generate a program list covering most other things ...
I have /etc/icewm folder with menu, toolbar, preferences etc. An example menu file is
Code:
menufile "All Programs" - /etc/icewm/mmaker-menu-output
separator
prog FireFox /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/mozilla-firefox.png firefox
prog claws-mail /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/evolution.png claws-mail
prog "LibreOffice" /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/openofficeorg-writer.png soffice
prog "Thunar File Manager" /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/Thunar.png Thunar
prog Mousepad /usr/share/icewm/icons/file_32x32.xpm mousepad
prog xterm /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/terminal.xpm xterm
separator
menufile "Net" - /etc/icewm/favourites-net
separator
menufile "Office" - /etc/icewm/favourites-office
separator
menufile "Other" - /etc/icewm/favourites-other
separator

an example submenu file is
Code:
prog FireFox /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/mozilla-firefox.png firefox
prog claws-mail /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/apps/48/evolution.png claws-mail
separator

I generate the list of programs using a simple script
Code:
### create mmaker output for IceWM
mmaker -ci IceWM > /etc/icewm/mmaker-menu-output
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: