Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
installing gentoo at #emerge sys-kernel/linux-sources
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: installing gentoo at #emerge sys-kernel/linux-sources Reply with quote

ok i am presented a screen that is telling me of the various optional kernels available since the 22 of april...but i see that the gentoo optimized kernel has problems with emerging the nvidia driver and its dependancies?...is this true?....i have a gf3 card and would like to have the nvidia drivers loaded should i stay with the vanilla-sources or has the gentoo-sources been fixed for this issue
Nitro
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but i see that the gentoo optimized kernel has problems with emerging the nvidia driver and its dependancies?...is this true?

Where did you hear this? Just for your information, I'm running the xfs-sources and the nvidia drivers are working great for me.

Please, please SEARCH before posting.

There are three kinds of people in the world: those who can count, and those who can't.
chemical
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nvidia drivers are also working fine for me with my xtasy GF 3 ti 200 card
tsuru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: linux-2.4.19-gentoo Reply with quote

When I tried emerging the nvidia drivers portage went ahead and downloaded linux-2.4.19-gentoo and build the nvidia drivers against that. It wasn't until later that I found out the linux-2.4.19-gentoo drivers don't have the XFS patch...thus temporarily breaking my machine. After a quick symlink fix thing should work.

I have never had a problem with nvidia drivers on any of the gentoo kernel sources...as long as my filesystem is included.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok well i wasnt sure....but i went for the gentoo-sources and its all fine...and i had just read a couple of posts where people where having troubles with some dependencies or something
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had problems with it wanting to download some other kernel sources as well so I used "emerge nvidia-driver nvidia-gls -nodeps" or something like that and it worked fine installing just the two packages I wanted.
zerogeny
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i cant compile the nvidia drivers and im using the gentoo-sources kernel.

wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
jdonahue
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:57 am    Post subject: Wha version nvidia-kernel & what kernel-version ? Reply with quote

Nitro wrote:
Quote:
but i see that the gentoo optimized kernel has problems with emerging the nvidia driver and its dependancies?...is this true?

Where did you hear this? Just for your information, I'm running the xfs-sources and the nvidia drivers are working great for me.

The problem for some of us is that if we want to run nvidia-kernel-1.0.2880 it applies
to kernel-2.4.19 and kernel-2.4.19 doesn't have any XFS driver patches applied to it
and when I emerge xfs-sources they only apply to kernel-2.4.18.

Maybe these dependency problems are easy to sor out, I just don't know how to go about it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: