Latest on Moonlight 2.0 + Netflix
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cappaberra
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Latest on Moonlight 2.0 + Netflix Reply with quote

Now that Netflix is using Silverlight 2.0 for its "Watch Instant" movie player, I've heard rumors of Moonlight being able to support Linux users to view movies from Netflix. As it turns out, I couldn't find much of anything on the internet (Google, or otherwise) that explained how to make Linux work to any extent with Netflix's website... I did find, however, a name of one of the developers at Novell that works on Moonlight. I emailed him and he was kind enough to send me an informative response today, which definitely put my anxiousness to rest (for now). ;) Here's what he said:
Quote:
We're currently preparing for Moonlight 1.0 beta 1, we probably won't
have netflix usable for a while yet since it is a Silverlight 2.0 site
and, most importantly/unfortunately, requires DRM (which we need
Microsoft's help to implement since we can't reverse engineer that).

My guess is that the 2.0 features that netflix uses isn't terribly
difficult to implement, so I wouldn't be surprised if we have the
required 2.0 support implemented fairly quickly.

I think our goal is to have a 2.0 release 6 months after we release 1.0
(I'm not sure when that release date is, but I would suspect early
January unless we get some huge number of bug reports from beta1).

Hope that helps...

Well, there you have it. Hopefully by mid-2009 there'll be something to at least go play with, if not more.
krackpot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Now Netflix needs to work on streaming good movies. Reply with quote

This is good news. I'll look forward to playing with it.

That should give Netflix enough time to put some more descent flicks on their servers. They have a few titles, but it's not much different from the free stuff "On Demand" from Comcast.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Latest on Moonlight 2.0 + Netflix Reply with quote

cappaberra wrote:
most importantly/unfortunately, requires DRM (which we need
Microsoft's help to implement since we can't reverse engineer that).

excellent !

Microsoft simply HAS TO help them implement that stuff, otherwise it's no full alternative to flash (platform-independent and full (?) support of DRM) - way to go :P

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
DigitalDan
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how exactly would the DRM content be protected on an open source platform. Would silverlight only allow DRM'd content to play with specific closed-source drivers, like nVidia? Because one would be able to create their amazing video display driver, and oh, it just happens to also convert rgb data back to mpeg4. Or does that problem exist today with some windows drivers?
krackpot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Open source doesn't always mean 100% open Reply with quote

Keep in mind that an open source platform, or even a program, doesn't necessitate 100% of the code to be open. Just look at the BOINC project or ati-drivers. They both have proprietary binaries in an open wrapper. Things like DRM code may not be dependent on the OS, or even the processor (although the binaries obviously would).

I don't know why DRM for a video stream would be any more dependent on a video card driver than the code for encrypting your banking session would. I could be totally ignorant on the workings of Silverlight's DRM, but I can imagine MS at least compiling an x86 black box for Moonlight to work with.

Even if the end user had to go to a Microsoft site and register before downloading a binary it wouldn't be the first time an ebuild had to check for that.

Last edited by krackpot on Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Carnildo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigitalDan wrote:
So how exactly would the DRM content be protected on an open source platform.

It can't be. But it can't be protected on a closed-source platform, either: all the current attacks on Blu-Ray use Windows-based software.
krackpot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess if you want to take the view that 100% sercure is only possible when 0% useable, then yes, content cannot be protected on any platform.

Also, Silverlight's DRM is not the same as Blu-Ray's. Silverlight is for streaming content, so it should be easier to evolve and keep up with crackers faster than the relatively static blu-ray code.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: