sgi octane (IP30) kernel 2.6.2*
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: sgi octane (IP30) kernel 2.6.2* Reply with quote

hi,
i have a bit collection of issue here trying to compile 2.6.2* ...
i had success with 2.6.17 in 2006.1, and it was a lot of time ago, i mean i know whenever i plan to use an older config on a newer kernel, i always have to check the config to make sure it didn't flip something off. Things changed dramatically from .17 to .2*, and relying on oldconfig alone isn't recommended. So, after having failure trying to use the 2.6.17/.config i erased and rewind running through menuconfig and just check the categories for a fresh new .config

Unfortunately still the new kernel does not boot: nested exceptions sometimes point at ARCS bugs. ... somebody is talking about "out-of-date PROM" ... and what i get when i try to boot 2.6.22.6 is: "PROM WRITE ERROR ON CACHELINE 0x1fcba700 at PC=0x203f302c"

my prom monitor sgi version 6.5 rev 4.17 IP 30 jan 20, 2004 - 64 bit

anybody has success with 2.6.2* ? if so which release ? could i see the config ?

i'am using gcc 4.1.2, kgcc 4.1.2, binutils 2.17
my machine is a 2xR12 IP30 system

Last edited by ddc on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: sgi octane (IP30) kernel 2.6.2* Reply with quote

details of sys-kernel/mips-sources:
http://gentoo.linuxhowtos.org/portage/sys-kernel/mips-sources

Quote:
mips-sources-2.6.20.18 & mips-sources-2.6.22.6 marked as stable
Support has been marked as needing testing in this
ebuild revision. This usually means that any patches to support
have been forward ported and maybe even compile-tested,
but not yet booted on real hardware, possibly due to a lack of access
to such hardware.
If you happen to boot this kernel and have no
problems at all, then please inform the maintainer. Otherwise, if
experience a bug, an oops/panic, or some other oddity, then please
file a bug at bugs.gentoo.org, and assign it to the mips team.

Last edited by ddc on Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:15 pm; edited 5 times in total
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here it is the status of kernel
2.6.17.14.ip30: hardly tested and solid rock working (used to build the 2008 stage3, and his world: 10days uptime)
2.6.20.18.ip30: it boots but is is reporting a lot of bad debugging info
2.6.22.6.ip30: it doesn't boot, PROM WRITE ERROR ON CACHELINE 0x1fcba700 at PC=0x203f302c
2.6.23.*.ip30: it is marked as ~mips, i have to give it a try
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recall... Kumba has been rather busy trying to straighten out IP30 support. Some upstream changes broke the IP30 patchset, and thus he's been busy working with Skylark in the #mipslinux channel, sorting out the mess.

There's a newer ebuild too... 2.6.24-something for mips-sources. That might be worth a shot too.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the future i'd like to add my octane PCI with this http://www.knjn.com/board_dragon.html

studing a nice way to iteract with pci http://www.fpga4fun.com/PCI1.html
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seems to me we are just 3 or 4 cats working with SGI octanes ...
armanox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Octane is not exactly a common peice of equipment, and they weigh a ton. And, they are a bit troublesome to use Linux on. Which, is why I doing so =).
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news ?
armanox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, other projects (and work) have kept me away from the Octanes for quite some time..
Pliablemammal
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave my octane IP30 to UC Berkeley, can anyone assist them with a netboot install, since IRIX isn't allowed on the network. (plus I hate Nekroware.)

I was able to get it working about a year ago, but opted for IRIX because it was a fun "toy" but since donating it, they need to have Linux on it for security.

It's going to be used for MIPS programming.

Is there a step by step easy guide that is known to work for getting Gentoo netbooted on the IP30? I followed one a while back, but it's been so long since I did it, and not sure where I found it in the first place.

Thanks again!
Linux ps3-betabox 2.6.28-rc7-00948-gc5fd701 #5 SMP PREEMPT Sun Dec 14 18:25:40 PST 2008 ppc64 Cell Broadband Engine, altivec supported GNU/Linux - gcc version 4.4.0 20081212 (experimental) (GCC) Videos
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main problem is which kernel to run on it!

Quote:

There's a newer ebuild too... 2.6.24-something for mips-sources. That might be worth a shot too.

I mean emerge --search mips-sources doesn't mean "this kernel will be stable on sgi-mips machine"
(example, the 2.6.22 it not working on my sgi-octane2-R12K, but it is working on my routerboard-mipsR4K board)

Quote:

sys-kernel/mips-sources
Latest version available: 2.6.24.7
Latest version installed: 2.6.17.14.ip30
Size of files: 46,567 kB
Homepage: http://www.linux-mips.org/ http://www.gentoo.org/
Description: Linux-Mips GIT sources for MIPS-based machines, dated 20080519
License: GPL-2

I am not so updated about new stable octane/kernel news, but here I'm running the 2.6.17 and I can personally assure that it is stable ... the .24 hasn't been tested on my octanes, so actually I can think only about the .17 that unfortunately has been removed from the current portage, so ... (in case i can provide you a tgz of the kernel 2.6.17 patched sources for octane2-R10K/R10K+)

umm, why netboot ? can't you get an hard drive and install gentoo userland on it ? it is a better idea with fewer issues
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news about gentoo mips-sources or tested kernel (>= 2.6.17) on ip30 ?

any (updated) web like http://home.tal.org/~milang around ?
legacy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news ?
Kumba
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

legacy wrote:
any news ?

Negative. For all intents and purposes, Octane/IP30 is effectively dead on Gentoo, and Linux in general. The only OS that I know of that currently supports Octane, outside of IRIX, is OpenBSD. I haven't had a lot of time to attempt to figure out what to fix, and I've lost the ability to use the "Early Printk" hack that Stanislaw created once, that hijacks the kernel's core printk call to scribble characters out to the graphics board directly. The introduction of the buffered printk stuff in 3.6.x killed that capability. Stanislaw himself has effectively dropped off of the planet, as far as I know, so he won't be updating Octane anytime soon.

That said, I do maintain an experimental patch in the sys-kernel/mips-sources ebuilds that you can apply via the 'ip30' USE flag to play with the code. It applies on top of the old IOC3 metadriver patch. It contains the core of the Octane code, plus the ImpactSR and Odyssey drivers, as well as various hacks that were my feeble attempt to get the kernel to boot again. Feel free to play with it and learn. Reference the OpenBSD code below for inspiration (but mind the licenses!):
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/src/sys/arch/sgi/sgi/ip30_machdep.c

The long-standing issue has largely been getting the IRQ handling done right. Octane's HEART chip, the system ASIC, handles the interrupts, but it's a bit of weird thing. It has one 64bit interrupt status register (ISR) and one 64bit interrupt mask register (IMR) per CPU. HEART defines a maximum of 4 CPU's possible, but SGI only ever produced a two-CPU design (I wonder if a quad board exists in some forgotten prototyping lab...). The trick is, there are a hardwired-set of around five interrupt priority levels built into the status/mask registers, and you have to properly read these two registers to know how to route interrupt requests properly.

There was also something about how you assigned IRQ numbers, too, that always confused me. Only thing I have to go by are some IRIX header files I managed to find, Stan's original (booting) code, and what the OpenBSD developers have figured out. I believe the original Octane kernel code in Linux hardcoded specific IRQ numbers for things like the CPU SMP mailboxes, specific devices, etc. But then it had a bit of code to dynamically generate/allocate IRQ numbers for everything else, and I never understood what that was doing exactly (no comments in the code).

AND THEN, you have the IOC3 to deal with. It's the PCI device that implements a bare skeleton of the PCI spec, but wants to be its own bus, and off of it hangs SCSI, RTC, Audio, Networking, Keyboard, and Mouse. So when it acts up, everything breaks. I got a feeling, though, that if the main IRQ handling can be worked out, IOC3 might just work, since it's been maintained in the main kernel w/ Origin 200/IP27. Big guess on that.

So, if anyone wants to take a crack at it, those are your outstanding issues. And probably a lot of other ones that have cropped up in recent years. I'll try to get an updated mips-sources out in the next few weeks for either 3.12, 3.13, or whatever is current then, that'll include a compilable (but likely not bootable) Octane patch.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: