Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m_gustafsson wrote:
I did the change and run it, but of course there were no config files to be updated, so I don't know if it works.
One strange thing though is that cfg-update is located in /usr/bin:

Er doh, that test should just be: [[ $etcUpdater = cfg-update ]] as it only saves the utility name (that's quick fix, not sure if it's worth saving the whole path.) Sorry for mess-up.
m_gustafsson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I will give it a try :)

/Mats
m_gustafsson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL,
just wanted to let you know that the fix is working :)
Thanks!

/Mats
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks for letting me know, Mats. There is a newer version in git, if you feel brave ;-) I'll probably push it out as a pre-release in a few days, barring any surprises. Need to fix the tmpfs thing and then finish on 0.1.4.
Grilo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New update and portage 2.2. I have updated my portage and ran a script due to installing kde4 but now the update cannot write to my package.mask/unmask as those are now directories as im ran the script to switch from file to directories. does anyone know how to switch update to work with the new sets function in portage 2.2?

thank you for your time.

Grilo[/url]
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grilo wrote:
New update and portage 2.2. I have updated my portage and ran a script due to installing kde4 but now the update cannot write to my package.mask/unmask as those are now directories as im ran the script to switch from file to directories. does anyone know how to switch update to work with the new sets function in portage 2.2?

Um it's not the sets (update handles those afaik) so much as the directory use and unmask; did you get an appropriate error message about that?

I don't use directories for those so just left the logic in place to handle them (ie stub functions) when it came up, which would need a bit more code (USE editing has only been what I'd call stable for the last month or so.) If you search for: ((pUseisDir)) (yes it's wrongly capitalised on 'Is', meh we'll fix it soon;) you should find the functions (about line 2000) for that setup. ATM they're pretty much just copies of the single-dir cases. You're welcome to patch those (they haven't been changed in ages and no-one else is working on them) or if you want log on to #friendly-coders on irc.freenode.org and we'll do it collaboratively.

You might want to work from the git version, details are on the trac site; but as I mentioned that part of the code won't change under you if you want to work on it.
kittykat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: fetch restriction Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am trying to run /sbin/update

and it has three fetch restrictions.

It doesn't tell me information of where to download fetch-restrictions from (which a normal emerge would) - and I have put these in the "SKIP" environment variable, and yet they are not being skipped.

The failing of these fetch restrictions is not ignored whilst it carries on with what it _can_ do - instead it simply ends with an error.

Is any of this fixable with a flag that I am yet to notice, or with a config file edit of some sort, or could future versions do this?

thanks very much!
kittykat
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: failed dependancies Reply with quote

update:

I did

export SKIP="blah/blah blah/blah"

for the packages that had failed dependancies - and it now seems to be skipping everything.

I then attempted to unset SKIP and setting SKIP to "" but in both instances it still seems to be skipping everything...

thank you
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: failed dependancies Reply with quote

kittykat wrote:
I did

export SKIP="blah/blah blah/blah"

for the packages that had failed dependancies - and it now seems to be skipping everything.

I then attempted to unset SKIP and setting SKIP to "" but in both instances it still seems to be skipping everything...

Whoops :-) Sorry haven't used SKIP since we first put it in. I'll take a look tonight.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Sorry for delay Reply with quote

Fix for SKIP and eix-sync on portage 2.2.

Can you give some output of the fetch-restriction problem kittykat?
deefster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: 404 on the update tracker site? Reply with quote

http://weaver.gentooenterprise.com/update

I went there to file a bug...

Basically, looks like there's an issue in the list handling for a blocked package:
Code:

** Installing 11/21 packages
! There are blocking packages:
! sys-libs/ss (is blocking sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
@ Press Y to unmerge sys-libs/ss, any other key to skip sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2, CTRL-C to quit. (y/N)?N
/usr/local/sbin/update: line 1039: sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2: division by 0 (error token is "-libs-1.41.2")
@ About to cancel? Y to proceed, E to edit list(N y e)

Using Version=0.1.4.0_pre5 pulled down from git on 10/10

Using
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 404 on the update tracker site? Reply with quote

Hi deefster, sorry it's changed to http://weaver.gentooenterprise.com/trac/update now, edited front page to reflect that.
deefster wrote:

Basically, looks like there's an issue in the list handling for a blocked package:
Code:

** Installing 11/21 packages
! There are blocking packages:
! sys-libs/ss (is blocking sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2)
@ Press Y to unmerge sys-libs/ss, any other key to skip sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2, CTRL-C to quit. (y/N)?N
/usr/local/sbin/update: line 1039: sys-libs/e2fsprogs-libs-1.41.2: division by 0 (error token is "-libs-1.41.2")
@ About to cancel? Y to proceed, E to edit list(N y e)

Using Version=0.1.4.0_pre5 pulled down from git on 10/10

Yeah I'm getting some wierd "unexpected" errors; looking at code it calls skipCompile with pkg names and not indexes which is wrong. We reworked all the blocker stuff, so I'll try and fix it myself tonight, if not I'll bug Ranjit tomorrow. Heh he was obviously tired on that part (which is good in one sense, cos now I get to tease him about it;) I have a feeling it might be me "simplifying" skipCompile tho.

Meantime, you need to take sys-libs/ss and sys-libs/com_err out of world file (/var/lib/portage/world) and then portage should get past the block automatically. (It's the bug that was on front page for quite a while.)
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the -e option is nice, and useful. I always found it rather strange that gcc is emerged near the end of an emerge -e system/@system, or bootstrap.sh.

I shall definitely use this next time I need to do a system emptytree emerge, i.e a new installation.

Thanks a bunch. :)

BTW: your script called me an l33t ricer, you know, because of the tilde. It reminds me of the Sid caveat "If it breaks you get to keep both pieces." 8)
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 404 on the update tracker site? Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
[...]Meantime, you need to take sys-libs/ss and sys-libs/com_err out of world file (/var/lib/portage/world) and then portage should get past the block automatically. (It's the bug that was on front page for quite a while.)

Not quite ... I have neither sys-libs/ss nor sys-libs/com_err in my world file and still get those blockers with the latest update (from git). There has to be something else which causes those blockers (no, I don't have mit-krb5 installed).

Greetz
swimmer
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor should they be in world really, because sys-libs/ss and sys-libs/com_err come with the stage* tarball. Now e2fsprogs-libs replaces them but not without some apparent aggravation.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swimmer wrote:
I have neither sys-libs/ss nor sys-libs/com_err in my world file and still get those blockers with the latest update (from git). There has to be something else which causes those blockers (no, I don't have mit-krb5 installed).

OK this is most likely because you are running stable portage so the blocker won't be resolved automatically. You could try:
update portage-2.2_rc12 and it should give you the option of unmasking just that version.
I'm sorry I didn't do the warning for it, I thought it had all been fixed in the tree, so just took the front-page alert down after a few more weeks. Really we need to allow checks on state of system which I put to one side for a bit.
notHerbert wrote:
I think the -e option is nice, and useful. I always found it rather strange that gcc is emerged near the end of an emerge -e system/@system, or bootstrap.sh.

I shall definitely use this next time I need to do a system emptytree emerge, i.e a new installation.

Thanks a bunch. :)

You're very welcome :-)
Quote:
BTW: your script called me an l33t ricer, you know, because of the tilde. It reminds me of the Sid caveat "If it breaks you get to keep both pieces." 8)

Lol, never heard it with 'both' only as "you get to pick up the pieces." That "leet boy ricer" thing was for jakub; I take it/hope you got the messages about how to disable it? Getting it to allow my funky ld flags was fun. ;-)

I've got the blocker thing working a bit better on 2.2 (the output changed recently) so will get it to handle e2fsprogs-libs for me at least (build the binpkg before uninstalling) ATM it would just uninstall before building, but we might as well try the build of a binpkg first, in the general case, I reckon.
One could poke holes in that, but if it works I'm using it ;p
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave update -e @system a go. Me like :) :)

I also used your recipe to adjust my ldflags. Me like that too :) :)

I feel like a born-again Gentooer. :lol:
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one notHerbert :D

Yeah I love the -e toolchain stuff, even if I do say so myself :-) It's designed to handle bringing an old system/stage install up to date as well; eg if binutils has been upgraded it'll be built both before and after gcc (look for auxRB in the code if you're interested or want to add something to that list; first occurrence is where to plug in, others are where it gets used, ie the more complex toolchain handling.)

edit: To handle e2fsprogs-libs block, just do emerge -auDN mit-krb5 e2fsprogs on portage 2.2; you can use update portage-2.2_rc13 to unmask just the latest version if you want.
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
edit: To handle e2fsprogs-libs block, just do emerge -auDN mit-krb5 e2fsprogs on portage 2.2; you can use update portage-2.2_rc13 to unmask just the latest version if you want.

We had that one 2 months ago on tilde boxes, which now leaves us free to help others. :wink:
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notHerbert wrote:
We had that one 2 months ago on tilde boxes, which now leaves us free to help others. :wink:

Heh, I admire the spirit (and the motivation) but think it'd be better be directed into Arch-Testing which needs a mostly-stable box, with selective unmasking. That's also a much nicer way to run a box imo, since you're more reasonably sure about where the bugs are.

I'd heard about that block ages ago too (that's why it was on front-page for so long.) I got told everything was hunky-dory, but it turned out that required unstable portage, and ofc I didn't see it as I'm on stable <most other stuff> and have been worrying more about keeping update working with changing portage versions than some bug that was "fixed in-tree". ;-) Seriously, though, think about becoming an AT if you have time to help; that'll help packages get in quicker.

You can test in a chroot if you really must run a l337-boi system.. ;p
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you steveL.
In fact I've already looked at the AT guide, and for sure I still need a couple more years of school to qualify. :)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notHerbert wrote:
I still need a couple more years of school to qualify. :)

pfft, welp was a dev when he was 16. If you can find and file bugs, especially if you can add a patch (you'd be surprised how minor many of those turn out to be) you'll be useful. You'd need more time to be a full dev, but AT isn't that much work for someone who runs unstable imo.
So long as they can be weaned onto using package.keywords ;) which is what update's supposed to help with. eg update -a --recover if you lose your package.keywords also works for a machine that you've switched profile on. But like I said, you don't need to do that and can use a chroot for AT work.
@all:
NB Do NOT do this for real until you've finished a full update including revdep with no problems. Remember: they're your pieces, don't expect us to stick 'em back together ;-)
notHerbert
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
@all:
NB Do NOT do this for real until you've finished a full update including revdep with no problems. Remember: they're your pieces, don't expect us to stick 'em back together ;-)

At home on a for fun box where it doesn't matter if it breaks, for someone who enjoys the challenge of fixing a Gentoo box without re-installing is fine.

I saw in a thread today somebody using a tilde box at work! Not a good idea unless you want a new job. :D
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notHerbert wrote:
I saw in a thread today somebody using a tilde box at work! Not a good idea unless you want a new job. :D

Heh, apparently some people use ~ on headless servers and then complain when they can't get access.. you have to wonder at the mentality ;)

@all: Sorry hasn't been any progress, we've been busy with work stuff, will get a new one out by this weekend; block handling is being reworked.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a reason why update -h config only shows results if update is in /sbin? I modified the script to replace /sbin/update with $(dirname $0)/$(basename $0) and it worked fine. :P

By the way, I made an elementary zsh completion for update, maybe someone will find it useful. I have named the file _update
Code:
#compdef update

local local_options

if (( $words[(I)(--help|--version)] )); then
    return 0
elif [[ $words[-1] == -h ]]; then
    _arguments -s -S \
        '( --help )-h[Show help text]:help options:( config error )' \
        && return 0
fi

local_options=(
    '-1[emerge --oneshot]'
   '-A[GLSA check -- after update]'
   '-C[depclean   -- after GLSA !experimental]'
   '-E[edit go straight to listEdit mode]'
   '-F[fetch only quit after fetching]'
   '-M[maintenance -- run GLSA, depclean, revdep]'
   '-R[revdep-rebuild -- after update/ install]'
   '-S[sync only sync tree and quit]'
   '-W[rebuild kernel modules (uses module-rebuild)]'
   '-X[force toolchain downgrade]'
   '-Y[rebuild kernel deps like hal (config)]'
   '-a[ask before installing]'
   '-c[disable colour]'
   '-f[fetch files first (no parallel-fetch)]'
    '( --help )-h[Show help text]:help options:( config error )'
    '( -h )--help[Explanation of update]'
   '-i[install target/s to world]'
   '-l[log via syslog]'
   '-m[use tmp-fs for build]'
   '-r[resume (after -p|a, ctrl-c, or halt)]'
   '-s[sync first (does eix if installed)]'
    '(-v)-q[Show less compile output]'
    '(-q)-v[Show more compile output]'
    '--version[Show version number of update]'
   '-x[server/ automated : implies -lfc, no spinner]'
   '-z[skip checks -- with emerge -p output:]'
)

if compset -P '(\\|)(>=|<=|<|>|=)'; then
    _arguments -s \
        $local_options \
        '*:portage:_gentoo_packages available_versions' \
        && return 0
else
    _arguments -s \
        $local_options \
        '*:portage:_gentoo_packages available' \
        && return 0
fi
I don't know much about zsh completions, just looked at a website online and tried to figure it out. A lot of ideas and code are taken from the already installed completion functions. :D
To use this completion function, I have appended the following in /etc/zsh/zprofile
Code:
fpath=( /etc/zsh/self-functions $fpath )
Finally, I have put the above _update file in /etc/zsh/self-functions.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: