Problem compiling kernel for hppa 64 bit
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tenspd137
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Problem compiling kernel for hppa 64 bit Reply with quote

Hi all,

I managed to snag two j6700 workstations from work that were going to be "recycled" (junked). I thought I would try to get Gentoo running on them. When I got them home, I found that they had 10 GB of memory and an 80 GB HD - not too bad, I guess. Anyway, I followed the setup instructions, and decided to try 64 bits to use all the memory. I followed the handbook, emerged kgcc64, configured the kernel. Of course, I typed make && make_install expecting compiler goodness, but all I got was:

make: hppa64-linux-gnu-gcc: command not found
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r7/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 25: hppa64-linux-gnu-gcc:comand not found
/usr/src/linux-2.6.25-gentoo-r7/scripts/gcc-version.sh: line 26: hppa64-linux-gnu-gcc:comand not found
Sorry, GCC v3.3 or above is required to build the kernel
make:*** [checkbin] Error1

Does anyone know what this means? Am I missing some links? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you emerged a new version of gcc since you installed the stage tarball?

I think that'd be the first place I'd start.

By the way, I too picked up a J6700 recently: 16GB RAM dual 73 GB SCSI disks.
tenspd137
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! (I only have 10G of memory!) Well, I did not install anything other than kgcc64. What I did do was run make and figure out what it couldn't find. Every time it stopped, I figured out what it was looking for and made a link in /usr/bin to the appropriate program in /user/libexec/hppa64-unknown-linux-gnu/<program> (ar,nm, or whatever). It was all I could think of to do. It built the kernel and modules, but now it hangs at:

console handover: boot [ttyB0] -> real [tty0]

I know it works, because the minimal install CD works - and it has a 64bit kernel which I booted with.

I don't have a whole lot of experience with this. I don't know what your experience level is, but if you try to build the 64bit kernel (to use all the memory like I am doing) and you are successful, I don't suppose you could share what you did to make it work? I could use some guidance.

For now, I am going to try again from step one.

Thanks for any help and the reply!
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenspd137 wrote:
Cool! (I only have 10G of memory!) Well, I did not install anything other than kgcc64. What I did do was run make and figure out what it couldn't find. Every time it stopped, I figured out what it was looking for and made a link in /usr/bin to the appropriate program in /user/libexec/hppa64-unknown-linux-gnu/<program> (ar,nm, or whatever). It was all I could think of to do. It built the kernel and modules, but now it hangs at:

I don't think this is the correct way to do it. Try 'emerge gcc' and then try making the kernel.

tenspd137 wrote:
I don't have a whole lot of experience with this. I don't know what your experience level is, but if you try to build the 64bit kernel (to use all the memory like I am doing) and you are successful, I don't suppose you could share what you did to make it work? I could use some guidance.

Unfortunately, the system is at home, and I'm at University.

tenspd137 wrote:
Thanks for any help and the reply!

My pleasure.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: