View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Sprotte on a lot of these things, even though I like many of the programs he mentions.

What comes to mind right now is that I want an easy way to get rid of a package and all its dependencies. For example, if I've switched over to KDE and want to get rid of Gnome, I'd like to simply be asked by Portage if I'd like to delete installed dependecies just by unmerging gnome-base, rather than having to loop-the-loop and perform other complex acrobatics.
Discord: https://discord.gg/73XV24dNPN
onefriedrice
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spupy wrote:
Hm, could you say that Gentoo is kind of the polar opposite of OS X?

I wouldn't say that at all. After all, OS X is Unix underneath. OS X is comparable to other Linux distributions which are also based on binary packages; you can run almost anything on it that Linux can, with only minor changes (if needed) and a recompile. You probably wouldn't say that a Linux distro with binaries is the polar opposite of Gentoo.

I would think the polar opposite of Gentoo would be something you really have no control over, like the onboard computer on a car.
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

onefriedrice wrote:
I would think the polar opposite of Gentoo would be something you really have no control over, like the onboard computer on a car.

Now I'm waiting for someone to say their favourite OS is the onboard computer of their car! :P

('Scuze me and my goofy humour.)
chris200x9
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef wrote:
onefriedrice wrote:

Now I'm waiting for someone to say their favourite OS is the onboard computer of their car! :P

How did you know?! That IS my favorite OS!
audiodef
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris200x9 wrote:
How did you know?! That IS my favorite OS!

I'm psychic. :P

FWIW, it's mine too. Srsly.
Eternal_Sin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I'm new here in gentoo like you can see xD

I'm starting using gentoo cause my life with other linux distributions was a sh*t xD excepting opensuse and debian and now I'm looking for something that makes me feel different, some distribution who give me a chance to have my own system, with all that I want cause some distributions installs lots of applications that you wont use never (in ubuntu y only used gcc (for compile mplayer), openoffice, amarok and others) but the problems appeared when I updated the kernel version (good idea.. yeah... xDD) so I want to try gentoo to see if I'm going to be owned again xD

Well, I think that this is all. A gentoo newbie, nice to meet you all dudes xD

Bye
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My college roommate told me about it. He said it was excellent, streamlined, customizeable, et cetera. I fiddled around with Red Hat, Mandrake, and maybe one or two other distributions (I tried installing FreeBSD, but it just seemed unwilling to cooperate with my computer), but liked playing games too much to use Linux that often. Maybe now that I'm out of college, and I don't need to use FPS's as stress-relievers as often :) , playing games isn't so important, and I focus more on practical things, like how to set up a file server, or just learning about *nix because it's interesting. Thus, I installed Gentoo, because Ubuntu is just too newbie-oriented, and I like buzzwords like 'streamlined', 'customizeable', and 'optimized'.
keet
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

audiodef wrote:
onefriedrice wrote:

The guy who told me about Gentoo uses it and an old laptop as an audio server in his car. I know it's not quite the same thing, but it's probably about the closest that we'll see to Gentoo being part of a car's onboard computer.
nooster
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Gentoo 'cos at the time the documentation covered everything I needed in well written, easy to follow pages, mainly on the WIKI. Since the Wiki has been 'having problems' I'm getting stuck more and more.

Please people - add stuff back into the wiki if you have a spare moment - some of us are truely sunk without it!
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nooster wrote:
I use Gentoo 'cos at the time the documentation covered everything I needed in well written, easy to follow pages, mainly on the WIKI. Since the Wiki has been 'having problems' I'm getting stuck more and more.

Please people - add stuff back into the wiki if you have a spare moment - some of us are truely sunk without it!

you guys having problems right now:

http://www.gentoo-wiki.info/

the gentoo-wiki archives is the way to go until the wiki is full-packed again :wink:

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
octoploid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why do you use Gentoo?

Because my mother told me so.
Gankfest
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helps me not feel like a noob, it's challenging and also keeps me on my toes.

Everyone has to start somewhere, it depends on where you end up that counts! (>")>
porodzila
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Besides just being familiar with it I run a lot of software synthesizers and recording software, sometimes simultaneously. I've been able to make my system very tiny. I can't have the machine swapping to disk while i'm playing music.
cokey
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because it sucks less than the competition (I dont consider Ubuntu to be the competition)
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because it is both less filling, and tastes great.
ArneBab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spupy wrote:
Hm, could you say that Gentoo is kind of the polar opposite of OS X?
As far as I know, with OS X you get many thing decided instead of you, you get a ready system, you don't get to modify it, and can use it according to some rules, which rules you can't alter. You get a fact - "this is the OS, use it like this".
With Gentoo you can make many choices, you start from scratch, you can modify the system and the rules. You get the choice - "you can go this way, that way, or make a new way."

I'd rather say that Gentoo is "OSX done right" (having switched from OSX to Gentoo ;) ), at least on the technical side.

You should have seen OSX in the beginning. You could just look inside it and understand what all these config options did, and at the same time it worked at once. Now much of that see inside stuff has vanished for the regular user, but OSX hackers provide damn many tools to alter and use your system - sometimes in ways you can't use easily in Gentoo, and most times more polished. Still the shell is there, and though it's not the GNU tools, it's quite powerfull.

In Gentoo on the other hand ebuilds setup my whole KDE for me without me having to change anything at all. The initial setup might not be as simple (OSX is really "just put in the disk and say install"), but as soon as your system is running, it just works. And the internal updater doesn't just update Apps from Apple automatically, but every single program you install.

So I'd say OSX draws a harder line between developers and users, and it is clearly not about choice.

For a developer, or a users who look deeper, the differences aren't that big. They even have fink and macports, which provide portage like installation (but don't seem nearly as cleanly integrated). But the one major difference is that Apple doesn't want regular users to look below the surface, while Gentoo describes that deeper look very well (and very detailed) and makes it very easy to take the dive.

Also Gentoo is free, while the defining characteristic of OSX (the GUI) is unfree - and the mindset of those who define how OSX should act seems to be quite unfree, too.

But maybe you're right in the bigger picture: OSX and Gentoo might share many charactristics on the technical side, but in the bigger picture Gentoo is about choice (and about enabling every user) and "making your own food", while OSX is about that slick elegance Apple creates and "eating every night in the restaurant", including the higher costs, the loss of time because you have to dress up and all the other restrictions of eating stuff from other people without being able to check it yourself ("no, you aren't permitted to look at the kitchen"). And including not to be able to cook yourself.

I prefer being able to cook myself, and Gentoos automatic kitchen with very tasty but mostly simple recipes is quite neat ;)

pkgcore: So fast that it feels unreal - by doing only what is needed.
jel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried to switch to Ubuntu, failed miserably. I boot into it to do upgrades once a month or so but I spend the rest of my time in gentoo. Habits die hard, I suppose.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i still have ubuntu installed in one aprtition. the support for this ia diminishing everyday.

gentoo is one which is continuously devloped and we have some testing to do every day.
this is one action packed linux GENTOO LINUX :) :D
there is no comparison or competition to GENTOO

no other forum equals gentoo forums and users and supporters. :)
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
... no other forum equals gentoo forums ...

Have you tried searching the forums recently? Quick hint, you won't find anything. :lol: (<-- sarcastically)
djdunn
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well first is the community

2nd is portage which works like bsds ports

3rd would be use flags and other custimization
“Music is a moral law. It gives a soul to the Universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order, and leads to all that is good and just and beautiful.”

― Plato
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yabbadabbadont wrote:
padoor wrote:

Have you tried searching the forums recently? Quick hint, you won't find anything. :lol: (<-- sarcastically)

it has been like that since long time.
that cannot discourrage people from using gentoo or forums. :D :D
HMC
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Sprotte said, "It sucks less"

Gentoo's big plus is the forums seem to have a more technically savvy usebase which makes troubleshooting a whole lot easier. Bugzilla also has less "noise" and more answers.

With MS I got jack of the continuous upgrade cycle of the software and after a bit of time with Vista I made the decision to be rid of MS almost entirely. I would only use Apple if I was willing to double the cost of my investment.

Cheers
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
yabbadabbadont wrote:
padoor wrote:

it has been like that since long time.
that cannot discourrage people from using gentoo or forums. :D :D

I meant have you tried searching it using google or any other search engine? You won't find hardly anything as the infrastructure guys decided that all search spiders were evil and disabled them all a while ago... now there isn't any way to search the forums except by using the non-functional built-in search.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

most of the other forums are also like that.
the search can never work like google which gives enough and more of what you ask for. :)
we can still find our posts and new posts.
seems we have to be happy with this.
one of the reasons for more duplicate and repeated questions. searc cannot bring what we look for :(
jel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
most of the other forums are also like that.

Actually no. Neither of the fora I peruse come close to the crappiness of GFD's Quick Search.
Have you tried ubuntuforums? They have tags - very useful.

GFD's Quick Search won't let you do "phrase searches" so you are flooded with false positives when trying to search for error messages etc.
There's no relevancy ranking so when searching for something specific you are drowned again in matches
from worthless USE-flag lists, emerge output etc.

Crappy.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 15 of 21

Jump to: