Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Smartmedia PCMCIA adapter/Onboard network conflict?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
twfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Smartmedia PCMCIA adapter/Onboard network conflict? Reply with quote

I followed many of the posts on this forum to get pcmcia working as this is the first laptop I've installed linux onto. I removed pcmcia support from the kernel, emerged pcmcia-cs, modprobed pcmcia_core, i82365, ds and ran /etc/init.d/pcmcia start. This worked the first time. My smartmedia card became /dev/hde1 and I could mount it and all was good. Ever since rebooting, I haven't been able to get it working correctly. Now, everytime I modprobe i82365 my laptop locks up. As this laptop came with xp, I rebooted to check settings there. It appears both my onboard network card and the smartmedia pcmcia adapter share irq 11. So, back in gentoo, I stopped networking, rmmod 8139too and retried the pcmcia stuff and it worked. I could then start networking up and they'd work together it seems.

Next, I tried putting the pcmcia stuff in the modules.autoload before the network card and everything works fine if I have a smartmedia card in there at bootup. If not, when I insert one, the laptop locks up.

Sorry for the long-winded post...but, what can I do to get both devices to play well together?

Thanks,

Theron
twfox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am now using the kernel's PCMCIA support. I have pcmcia_core, yenta_socket, ds in my modules.autoload. I'm still having the same problem - if I have my PCMCIA card in at bootup, I can mount the drive and everything works. If I put the card in after I've booted up, the laptop locks up.

It seems that if the card is in at bootup, the VIA686A, TI PCI1410 Cardbus Controller gets IRQ 5 and ide2 (the smartmedia card) gets IRQ 3. If I put the card in after bootup, it seems to want IRQ 11 which is used by my onboard network card. I put 'exclude IRQ 11' in /etc/pcmcia/config.opts but that didn't seem to help.

Any ideas?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: