Quick Search: in
[NEWS] August GMN
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: [NEWS] August GMN Reply with quote

This thread is for discussion of the August issue of the Gentoo Monthly Newsletter. We hope you enjoyed reading it!

If you liked a certain article or felt that the GMN was published with something that we could do without, let us know. You can also put your comments and suggestions on how you think the next GMN should be.

The latest issue may not appear on the webnodes immediately, so please be patient.
nasko88
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Is Gentoo dying? Reply with quote

First, thanks for the effort invested in the GMN, a nice one again.

What concerns me most and makes me awake in sweat and screams in the middle of each night is that the Gentoo developers are getting less and less - another 10 people have left Gentoo. Is Gentoo dying? I HOPE NOT!!! 'Cause it's the best distro available, you know...
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, since there is stat about who developper is leaving, I saw on the Dev malling list that certains have been kicking out of the projet by the concils or by someone else.

I say that, because I read a dev that opposed himself on the malling list saying that he was kicked out by the project.

It happened last week, but since I don't read much this malling list, can someone explain to be what happen last week.

Thanks.

I hope too that Gentoo is not dying, because my box is rock solid stable :P
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo dying? Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say I am worried to see Chris Gianelloni leave. Afaik I know he handled lots of important stuff in Gentoo (rel-eng, genkernel, etc.). Anyone knows the reasons why he left? Who will replace him?
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aniruddha wrote:
I must say I am worried to see Chris Gianelloni leave. Afaik I know he handled lots of important stuff in Gentoo (rel-eng, genkernel, etc.). Anyone knows the reasons why he left? Who will replace him?

In fact, he was the man behind the 2008.0 or 2007.0 for sure.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

--

Last edited by 96140 on Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Kasumi_Ninja
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the list of developers at Gentoo's homepage I can only conclude that we are in shortage of devs :cry:

I see no devs for crucial packages like genkernel, openrc, baselayout. Important packages like Gnome have only one maintainer. Moreover the dev list contains lots of developers that are away for an unknown amount of time.

Taking all these factors into account I do think Gentoo's main focus right now should be to attract talented devs for crucial projects like genkernel, catalyst, baselayout etc.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because it's not specifically mentioned in the projects / developers lists, doesn't mean no ones maintaining it.

openrc isn't a gentoo-run project - it's run by former Gentoo developer Uberlord (Roy Marples) - http://roy.marples.name/openrc

genkernel is probably maintained by the kernel project (it has no specific herd) - it looks like wolf31o2 (Chris Hianelloni) is continuing development outside of Gentoo.

baselayout is managed by the base-system project. I could be wrong, but I believe Roy also still keeps a hand in this.

If you want to find out who manages a given package, you can check the Metadata.xml file found in the the packages directory in the main repository. If that has no specific herd, check the changelog for who's been updating it recently.

Gentoo has and probably always will be short of developers. For a thread on this topic see: Discussion on user contributions to Gentoo: issues/proposals

If you can think of a good way to gain more contributors, please post it in the above mentioned thread. Unfortunately recruiting and keeping developers isn't particularly easy - especially when it's unpaid!
gentoo-dev
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is Gentoo dying? Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Okay, stop freaking out. Ten or more folks leaving/joining Gentoo is entirely normal
It's not tens leaving/joining but tens leaving and fewer joining.
Looking at GMNs since January: -30 +4 , +1, -26 +3, +2, -3 +7, -16 +4, -1 +1, -10 +1
Total -86 +23, Balance -63

The fact that they were retired because thay have been long inactive only makes things worse since they actually stop contributing sooner and are yet to be replaced. This hints that more devs are likely to be retired, looking at the dev list does not help considering the number of Away tags (40 if I counted right).

nightmorph wrote:
agaffney has stepped up as head of releng.
Tough. I'd hoped that the next release would be free of that broken installer. Very unlikely.
stanislaw
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: [NEWS] August GMN Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
If you liked a certain article or felt that the GMN was published with something that we could do without, let us know. You can also put your comments and suggestions on how you think the next GMN should be.

First of all, as it's my first time to say something about GMN, I like the monthly newsletter, especially the "Tips and Tricks" section, also all the graphs and statistics.

One thing, I've been severly missing in GMN, is to hear something official about KDE4(.1/.2). I hope, this thread is the correct place to say this.

Thank you in advance for reading my comment.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: [NEWS] August GMN Reply with quote

stanislaw wrote:

One thing, I've been severly missing in GMN, is to hear something official about KDE4(.1/.2). I hope, this thread is the correct place to say this.

Since it's inside the Overlay KDESVN, maybe they talk about only what's inside the official Portage Tree.
AllenJB
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: [NEWS] August GMN Reply with quote

d2_racing wrote:
stanislaw wrote:

Since it's inside the Overlay KDESVN, maybe they talk about only what's inside the official Portage Tree.

As far as I know GMN will take articles on anything Gentoo-related. The only reason that there hasn't been an article yet is because no one has written one and submitted it.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: