Network problem: NICs won't rise and have MAC 000000000000
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeroflop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Network problem: NICs won't rise and have MAC 000000000000 Reply with quote

Ok, I'll have to admit - I'm stuck. I have Sun Netra X1 and I'm trying to install Gentoo on it, to make it a decent firewall. But I have a problem, while I can't get the network up on Linux - both NIC's are showing MAC-address 00:00:00:00:00:00. I can associate IP-address on a NIC, but I can't lift it up, ifconfig eth0 up says SIOCSIFFLAGS: Invalid argument. I don't know if the cards have been disabled somehow or is it just a problem with the Linux driver (FreeBSD gets the nics up, but I honestly don't have bounds of interest to study pf, while I already have fully working configs for Netfilter/IPtables and I know how it works). It's not the traditional same-MACs-on-SPARC-syndrome (yep, I tested the local-mac-address -setting, no use).

Any help available, I'll grant a thank.

-Aero
mamac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

How did you configure the driver, is it external module or from the kernel?

Do you have the interface up with the installation CD?
Aeroflop
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamac wrote:
Hi,

How did you configure the driver, is it external module or from the kernel?

Do you have the interface up with the installation CD?

No, the problem exists with the installation CD, so I haven't actually configured nor installed the system yet. But after reading your post I just realized I actually have universal installation CD, so it might inhold stage-tarball and portage snapshot.. Damn, I'm too used to install over network :P.
mamac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the gentoo CD doesn't support your card you can give a try to just any other livecd (e.g. ubuntu), see if network works and install from there.