Proxy Maintainters
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
node_one
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Proxy Maintainters Reply with quote

I am starting this thread to see what is the level on interest in proxy maintainership in the community. This topic was discussed in the "Discussion on user contributions to Gentoo: issues/proposals" thread already.

yngwin wrote:
Then there is also the possibility of proxy maintainers. That means finding a gentoo developer willing to commit your ebuilds, but you keeping up with maintenance and bugs. This should be more widely advertised.
Several posts later...
Dagger wrote:
I can fully understand that. Do you know how many people are willing to maintain 5 of their most favourite packages themselves? If we can have 1 dev (mentor) who has 10 users and each one of them maintain 5 packages, than dev can only check, test and correct ebuilds when needed.

If there turns out to be a significant level of interest maybe users and developers can organize, streamline this process, and possibly improve the speed with which, at least certain, packages get updated in the main tree and/or overlays.

I am personally willing to maintain 5, maybe more, packages, partly because I think there are packages that Gentoo should have either in the main tree or in an official overlay and partly because I hope doing so will reduce the load on the developers.
node_one
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ~48h and ~280 views later ... nothing. 8O Maybe this is not getting enough exposure, but nothing, really. <looking for the head-scratch emoticon>

I guess people ( the user community ) are happy with how things are going with Gentoo and do not have compelling reasons to get involved. :? :(

Or maybe AllenJB is right in this post which I will quote from:
AllenJB wrote:
The problem, in my opinion, is that there just aren't enough users stepping up and wanting to get involved. Now is that because there aren't enough users wanting to get involved, or because there are users wanting to get involved but they don't know how to start? For fixing the latter, in addition to the suggestions already made in this thread, perhaps we need to run more "recruitment" and "getting started with development" style articles in GMN. I would consider attempting to write a couple of such articles, from a users point of view, but I just don't have the time right now and probably won't until I've finished my final year at uni.

But, my suspicion is that the reality is that there just aren't enough users who actually want / have the time to get involved with development.

Alright, I am going to let this topic sink. I get it now. 8)
tanderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

node_one wrote:
Well, ~48h and ~280 views later ... nothing. 8O Maybe this is not getting enough exposure, but nothing, really. <looking for the head-scratch emoticon>

I guess people ( the user community ) are happy with how things are going with Gentoo and do not have compelling reasons to get involved. :? :(

Or maybe AllenJB is right in this post which I will quote from:
AllenJB wrote:
The problem, in my opinion, is that there just aren't enough users stepping up and wanting to get involved. Now is that because there aren't enough users wanting to get involved, or because there are users wanting to get involved but they don't know how to start? For fixing the latter, in addition to the suggestions already made in this thread, perhaps we need to run more "recruitment" and "getting started with development" style articles in GMN. I would consider attempting to write a couple of such articles, from a users point of view, but I just don't have the time right now and probably won't until I've finished my final year at uni.

But, my suspicion is that the reality is that there just aren't enough users who actually want / have the time to get involved with development.

Alright, I am going to let this topic sink. I get it now. 8)

It's certainly not that I'm not interested in proxy-maintainer something for a user. I would gladly proxy-maintain a package or two for a user if that user was responsive to bugs and such. No one has contacted me asking for proxy-maintainership before, so I don't maintain anything for users. Before I was a dev, I proxy-maintained a few packages through people. In none of the cases was I asked to maintain that package, I had to ask someone who maintained similar packages.

So I guess it boils down to users simply not bugging us devs to maintain stuff for them.

--The Prisoner
node_one
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoofan23,

With all due respect, I was not trying to "bug" developers to proxy stuff for me or anyone else, at least not yet. I was hoping to see if there were users who are interested in maintaining packages, how many there are, and if there are any, to possibly organize ( the users ) and improve Gentoo in some way. If everything is going well, this really is not necessary. I was just looking for an answer to Dagger's question above and I am getting it.

Also, I would contact a developer to request proxy-maintainership, but that would be "bugging" if the developer is not receptive in the first place. Therefore, why "bug" several developers before I find someone receptive. Considering I may not be the only one doing this, that adds up to a lot of "bugging". User <-> developer relations seem strained as it is, why contribute to this? If there was enough interest, maybe a streamlined process, with less "bugging", could have been worked out between interested developers and users.

Anyway, as I said I am letting it go. Thank you for your post. I just do not understand this, your process, but it seems to be working and that is what really matters. :|
Carlo
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

node_one wrote:
Well, ~48h and ~280 views later ... nothing.

These forums are primarily a user channel. You may comment on bugzilla requests that you're willing to help out (may not be noticed) or you can contact developers via irc. Personally I wouldn't appreciate proxy maintainer emails on the gentoo-dev mailing list, but as a last resort, this might be o.k., too.

Two remarks:

a) Personally I'm not interested in proxying.
b) You should name the software you're interested in. N packages reads like a wheel of misfortune.
tanderson
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mean bugging in the sense that it annoyed the dev. Most devs are quite happy to proxy maintain stuff from what I've seen, and it doesn't strain user<->dev relations at all.

In the case the dev has no time for proxy maintainership then you just ask someone else who would be interested.

--The Prisoner
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: