Help!!! Please
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LTPug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Help!!! Please Reply with quote

Hi all, am new to linux. So please be gentle, I do have a question. I am not sure which download of gentoo linux I need to get started. so here are my specs,

Intel Q6600 quad core
500 gig HD
3 gig ram
Nvidia 8800GTS

I really appreciate everyones help, I am really excited about learning linux through Gentoo. I did hear that the gentoo forums are filled with helpful people and that they are a great community.

Many thanks for the help

LTPug
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the best part... you need very little downloaded from gentoo itself.

1st off, you have a choice of 32- or 64- bit. With 3 gb ram, it's easier IMO to use 64-bit than to figure out how to enable it in 32-bit. However, software has better support (in some cases - flash, for example) in 32-bit mode. I'm using 64-bit right now.

2. Use the gentoo handbook for either amd64 (for 64-bit - don't let the amd throw you off) or x86. You may want to read it through once to see what it entails.

3. Download sysresccd ( http://www.sysresccd.org ), a stage tarball (Use funtoo stages - they're better than the gentoo ones. http://www.funtoo.org ), and a portage snapshot (learn how to use the gentoo mirror system from the handbook).

4. Install.

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any Intel or AMD processor which is not an Itanium falls under the category or x86 or amd64, depending on the 32bits vs. 64bits stuff. Yours is 64 bit, so you must download the amd64 version of the CD. You can ignore the 64 bit stuff and install the SO as a 32 bit one. I don't recommend it, but it may be better for things like flash player or some codecs (wmv, real, etc.).

And before installing, read the handbook (amd64 in your case), and then re-read it, search the forums, know your hardware with detail, have the manuals of your motherboard, graphic, etc. at hand, search for info of the chipset of your motherboard in google, and re-read the handbook again. Installing gentoo is very easy no matter what have you been told, but you must know what you are doing. Since you are new to linux, is better to prepare yourself for the task.

Some advice: use lspci command when installing to know all the details of your hardware, read something about disk partitioning to understand the concepts, learn some basic console comand (cd, pwd, ls, cp, rm...) and avoid the graphical installer, just use the old command line method, is safer, faster and easier (pretty graphics doesn't mean easy things. And ask the forums if you have a question, but please search them before.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

juantxorena wrote:
Yours is 64 bit, so you must download the amd64 version of the CD.

Not true - 64-bit hardware will boot 32-bit stuff...

Think about how booting works - On the computer's turn-on, it is a very fast 8086 (essentially). Special instructions in the boot code (or kernel) put it in protected mode - basically a 386 with extra instructions (this is where 32-bit stuff stops). If the kernel is 64-bit, it turns on the 64-bit mode, further enabling the 64-bit addressing functions.

If you are installing a 64-bit system, in order for the chroot to work correctly, you must have a 64-bit kernel on the livecd. For 32-bit, either will work.

Sysresccd has both kernels on the same disc - make sure to boot the 64-bit one if you are installing a 64-bit system.

as juantxorena said, the only real benefit to 32 bit over 64 bit is codecs (I have not hit issues yet - there are open versions of most), and flash (use nspluginwrapper, and you're fine, except for harmless memory leaks and the occasionaly nspluginwrapper crash (which doesn't crash anything else - not even your browser).

poly-p man

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man,

You would buy a Ferrari just to drive to the corner shop ?
OK, thats an exaggeration but why only use the bottom half of a 64 bit CPU.

While its true that 64 bit has a few more packages and is easier to make work than 32 bit, to get more than 2G RAM working on a 32 bit install gives away some performance.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

poly_poly-man wrote:
3. Download sysresccd ( http://www.sysresccd.org ), a stage tarball (Use funtoo stages - they're better than the gentoo ones. http://www.funtoo.org ), and a portage snapshot (learn how to use the gentoo mirror system from the handbook).

I don't know about the others here, but I think that still using the funtoo stages is a great idea even if the 2008.0 is out.
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

juantxorena wrote:
Some advice: use lspci command when installing to know all the details of your hardware, read something about disk partitioning to understand the concepts, learn some basic console comand (cd, pwd, ls, cp, rm...) and avoid the graphical installer, just use the old command line method, is safer, faster and easier (pretty graphics doesn't mean easy things. And ask the forums if you have a question, but please search them before.

In fact, booting from the SystemRescueCd and using dmesg can help you to find what module you will need to enable :

Code:

# dmesg | grep -i eth0

Give :

Code:

e1000: eth0: e1000_probe: Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection

So I know that I need the e1000 module inside my kernel :P
LTPug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THank for all the help everyone, but I do have another question, can you make a dual boot with gentoo. I have vista, which sucks, but i need it for my gaming. Please advise me on how to do this. I am just starting to read the handbook, might take me a few days I am ADD after all. Thanks again.
juantxorena
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LTPug wrote:
THank for all the help everyone, but I do have another question, can you make a dual boot with gentoo. I have vista, which sucks, but i need it for my gaming. Please advise me on how to do this.

Of course you can. Is in the handbook, in the bootloader section.

LTPug wrote:
I am just starting to read the handbook, might take me a few days I am ADD after all. Thanks again.

Better with ADD, is easy to get obsessed with things you like.
LTPug
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, ok I know I am getting annoying by now. But I do have another question. Is it a need to have a firewall or an anti-virus. I am sure no anti-virus as I never heard that there is a virus for linux. But what about the firewall part?

Thanks again,
LTPug
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LTPug wrote:
LOL, ok I know I am getting annoying by now. But I do have another question. Is it a need to have a firewall or an anti-virus. I am sure no anti-virus as I never heard that there is a virus for linux. But what about the firewall part?

Thanks again,
LTPug

anti-virus? no.

(note: the anti-virus software available for linux is for scanning emails if you a relay to keep windows clients safe)

Firewall? depends...

If you are behind a NAT (with no open ports to you), you are safe. Otherwise, either put a NAT between you and the net, or run iptable on your system. Configuration is far beyond me.

poly-p man

NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LTPug,

You need a firewall. NAT does not provide security.

Follow the steps in the Home Router Guide
It provides a firewall for your entire network and NAT for other systems, which you may not need yet.

While its written around the use of a dedicated system, the install steps are unchanged to install on your main/only system.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
a.b.
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course NATs provide security, they effectively block all incoming connections unless you open a port.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a.b.

Security is gained like layers of an onion, as you add more layers its gets more difficult for an attacker to get at whatever you want to protect. Ultimately, security is a compromise between safety and usability.

Everyone has to assess their own security needs.

Information going out needs to be controlled as well as information (attempting) to get in, NAT cannot help you there.

You are also depending on NAT in your router working properly. Many (most?) don't.
I'm not suggesting you should not use NAT but I wouldn't put anything I wanted to keep safe behind only NAT.

NeddySeagoon

those that do backups
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: