NSLU2 won't boot into gentoo on HDD
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: NSLU2 won't boot into gentoo on HDD Reply with quote

Hi there I have followed the instructions on the gentoo wiki about installing gentoo on a HDD and then asking the NSLU2 to boot it.

Unfortunately, even though I can chroot into the disk okay and everything seems to be working, when I plug the drive in and reboot the slug, the top LED flashes red and amber, I've left it for over an hour and still nothing.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to look for or how to diagnose what has gone wrong?

my rcupdate-show

Code:
            bootmisc | boot
             checkfs | boot
           checkroot | boot
               clock | boot
         consolefont | boot
         crypto-loop |
          domainname | boot
            dropbear |      default
            hostname | boot
             keymaps | boot
               local |      default nonetwork
          localmount | boot
             modules | boot
            net.eth0 |      default
              net.lo | boot
            netmount |      default
             numlock |
           rmnologin | boot
              rsyncd |
             urandom | boot

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would very much like to at least get a bare system to boot before trying to emerge things onto it.
poly_poly-man
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait... where are you chrooting from?

what architecture is the gentoo you installed on said hard drive?

poly-p man

avatar: new version of logo - see topic 838248. Potentially still a WiP.
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ssh into slugos via ssh.

Then I chroot into /mnt/gentoo where the HDD is mounted as per instructions on the wiki.

I believe the architecture is "armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc"

here is my make.conf
Code:

CFLAGS="-march=armv5t -Os"
CHOST="armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc"
CXXFLAGS="-march=armv5t -Os"
USE="pam -bitmap-fonts -truetype-fonts -type1-fonts -expat"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=500
FEATURES="ccache -noman -noinfo -nodoc"
UCLIBC_CPU="ARM_XSCALE"
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
I ssh into slugos via ssh.

Then I chroot into /mnt/gentoo where the HDD is mounted as per instructions on the wiki.

I believe the architecture is "armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc"

here is my make.conf
Code:

CFLAGS="-march=armv5t -Os"
CHOST="armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc"
CXXFLAGS="-march=armv5t -Os"
USE="pam -bitmap-fonts -truetype-fonts -type1-fonts -expat"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS="--exclude-from=/etc/portage/rsync_excludes"
RSYNC_TIMEOUT=500
FEATURES="ccache -noman -noinfo -nodoc"
UCLIBC_CPU="ARM_XSCALE"
i have the same prblem, let me know if you solved it
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up and went down the debian slug root, works great, no compilation required and had the system up in nearly 20mins. I would recommend it if gentoo install doesnt work. Just a suggestion...
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
I gave up and went down the debian slug root, works great, no compilation required and had the system up in nearly 20mins. I would recommend it if gentoo install doesn't work. Just a suggestion...
that is what i did too. but i can honestly say that Debian on the NSLU2 is way too slow compared to gentoo... even loading pages on the apache...

i will leave it right now with Debian but i plan to sell my G4 Mac Cube and get a slug in order to roll my own gentooish firmware as the wiki states. i cant stand how slow it is and this hard drive is faster than my old one
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have settled for debian because gentoo seemed very hard to fix. I haven't noticed it being that slow, it runs nfs shares for portage, samba shares for my media and also a small website . The CPU utilisation barely gets over 50%. Have you un-underclocked the slug? Mine runs at 266Mhz like a charm. First thing I did was to yank out the correct resistor to get it running at full speed.

If you do somehow get gentoo working, I would be interested to know how (or a zip file of the root structure , to give me jump start :) as I don't think I am experienced enough to know how to fix the problems it has). It would be nice to have all gentoo machines on my network eventually.

Good luck with it.
orvtech
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
I have settled for debian because gentoo seemed very hard to fix. I haven't noticed it being that slow, it runs nfs shares for portage, samba shares for my media and also a small website . The CPU utilisation barely gets over 50%. Have you un-underclocked the slug? Mine runs at 266Mhz like a charm. First thing I did was to yank out the correct resistor to get it running at full speed.

If you do somehow get gentoo working, I would be interested to know how (or a zip file of the root structure , to give me jump start :) as I don't think I am experienced enough to know how to fix the problems it has). It would be nice to have all gentoo machines on my network eventually.

Good luck with it.

yes mine is running at 266MHz, it has a faster HDD now (compared to the install i did with gentoo) but the performance loading pages is slower than gentoo. i will try to see if i can post results of siege benchmarking utility so that we can see the numbers.
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm considering switching from gentoo on my slug (various problems, mainly I've hosed sshd and can't connect directly anymore, but also it seems the ARM architecture won't be maintained in gentoo see here).

Anyway, one feature I really liked was having portage sync'd on my slug overnight and then using it as a network portage for my desktop/laptop etc.

I've had a search around on the wiki and the forums, but can't find much on getting portage running under a different distro and was wondering if you guys are doing this already?

If so do you simply rsync with the portage mirrors or is there something more complex in the way portage sync's (when using eix-sync and/or emerge --sync) that would be missed by having a simple cron rsync command?

I'd imagine overlays have to be synced in a similar manner too.

Cheers,

slack
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the following command which works great. It sits in a crontab line which runs at 3am in the morning each day :)

Code:
 rsync --recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage /usr/portage/

Desultory helped me with it on this thread:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-700459-highlight-.html

It seems to work fine for me as far as I can tell. I NFS mount the portage directory on the machine which run gentoo and then run

Code:
emerge --metadata

I use layman on one machine which automatically writes to the master /usr/portage/ folder so it is then available for the other computers. I dont know how you could make multiple overlays work though (e.g. if you only want certain overlays for one machine and not for another). Like you, I am not too hot with the inner wiorking of portage but I have got it to do what I need and am happy with the results.

I went to debian for the NSLU2 and haven't looked back, yet :)
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats great, thanks for the quick response Uncle. Should have paid closer attention to that thread in the first place :!:

Will read through that thread and I think I'll have a go at getting unslung/slugos set up (won't wipe the gentoo install just yet ;-) )

Cheers,

slack
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: