[SOLVED] python-updater keeps asking to rebuild something
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magowiz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] python-updater keeps asking to rebuild something Reply with quote

Hi folks,
yesterday I updated to python 2.5 , after that I ran python-updater which rebuilt a lot of packages.
After python-updater finished correctly (no errors) I tried to run it again and I thought that it should not ask to rebuild nothing since it previously rebuilt all packages built upon python, but I was wrong: python-updater keeps asking to rebuild already rebuilt packages.
Is this a python-updater bug or I forgot something ?
I'm using python-updater 0.5

Last edited by magowiz on Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total
djanderson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a set of packages contained in python-updater which are known to break when python is updated, but can't be detected by checks, so I imagine they are re-emerged everytime you run python-update. If you've run it once, you shouldn't need to run it again.
Code:
man python-updater

Try disabling the set of manually selected packages:
Code:
# python-updater --disable-manual -p -v

-Doug
magowiz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also disabling manual python-updater keeps asking to rebuild some of already rebuilt packages.
Anyway after running python-updater the first time (without errors) I think I can safely unmerge python-2.4 . am I right ?
djanderson
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine so... do
Code:
# emerge --depclean -av
Code:
# revdep-rebuild -av
and if you come out of that all clean, I'd say you're good :)
I just ran those earlier today and everything went fine and it took python 2.4 away for me... haven't restarted yet, though.
doro1211
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a set of packages contained in python-updater which are known to break when python is updated, but can't be detected by checks, so I imagine they are re-emerged everytime you run python-update.

This cannot be true, because on my machine m python-updater gives no output of any kind and returns me quickly to a command prompt... unless something is wrong with my python-updater?
magowiz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doro1211 wrote:
Quote:
There is a set of packages contained in python-updater which are known to break when python is updated, but can't be detected by checks, so I imagine they are re-emerged everytime you run python-update.

This cannot be true, because on my machine m python-updater gives no output of any kind and returns me quickly to a command prompt... unless something is wrong with my python-updater?

perhaps you have already removed the old python
doro1211
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Both are installed on one system, and python-updater just dumps me back to a command prompt.

In fact, I've never actually gotten python-updater to do anything. It's always exhibited this behavior for me, and I don't know why. I suspect something wrong with my system, but have no clue where to look. Instead I use revdep-rebuild and try to track down manually which packages need rebuilding. I've tried re-emerging python-updater but that has no effect. (Same thing happened to me 2.3 to 2.4)
Sodki
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: python-updater keeps asking to rebuild something Reply with quote

magowiz wrote:
Hi folks,
yesterday I updated to python 2.5 , after that I ran python-updater which rebuilt a lot of packages.
After python-updater finished correctly (no errors) I tried to run it again and I thought that it should not ask to rebuild nothing since it previously rebuilt all packages built upon python, but I was wrong: python-updater keeps asking to rebuild already rebuilt packages.
Is this a python-updater bug or I forgot something ?
I'm using python-updater 0.5

I'm experiencing the same thing. This is what I get:

Code:
# python-updater  -p
 * Starting Python Updater from 2.4 to 2.5 :
 *   Adding to list: =dev-libs/boost-1.35.0-r1
 *   Adding to list: =app-office/dia-0.96.1-r1
 *   Adding to list: =app-office/gnumeric-1.8.3
 *   Adding to list: =x11-libs/vte-0.16.13

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies ... done!                                     
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/boost-1.35.0-r1  USE="-debug -doc -expat -icu -mpi -tools" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/vte-0.16.13  USE="opengl python -debug -doc" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] app-office/dia-0.96.1-r1  USE="cairo gnome png python zlib -debug -doc -gnome-print" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] app-office/gnumeric-1.8.3  USE="gnome perl python -debug" 0 kB

Total: 4 packages (4 reinstalls), Size of downloads: 0 kB
magowiz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say that after rebuilding all packages listed by python-updater (disabling manual check) , the next python-updater run (with manual check disabled) said that there's nothing to rebuild . So for me this issue is solved.

Perhaps the previous time the emerge process was not complete, so I saw that in that case also disabling manual check PU list was not empty.

@Sodki
you should disable manual check, the packages that appear in your list are the same that appear in my list with manual check enabled. So if you are sure that you have rebuilt those packages after installing python 2.5 you can safely ignore the manual check and remove python-2.4 with an emerge --depclean .
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: