Binary repository for NSLU2? [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Binary repository for NSLU2? [solved] Reply with quote

Hi there,

Following my other problems in setting up the NSLU2 with gentoo. I was wondering whether anyone has been thoughtful enough to create a binary repository for this piece of kit? The hardware seems standard so once one person has compiled with generic options, could others not use it to avoid painfully long compile times?

I only ask because I am having trouble getting distcc working with crosdev at the moment and am wondering if any benevolent soul has created such a repository for their binaries for the NSLU2?

Last edited by Unclethommy on Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look on http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/, and if you can't find what you need there you could go and ask in #gentoo-embedded on freenode.
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi "hopeless"

So I guess I look here... as this seems to be the architecture in the NSLU2 which I am using?

http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/cross-pkgs/armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc/cross-armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc/

Is it a simple case of downloading the tbz2 and then adding it to folder and then specify the location in make.conf ?

I have tried to upgrade uclibc and it seems to have borked my system(not that I got it to even boot into gentoo before) :(

what do you mean by "as in #gentoo-embedded on freenode" ? Is this some kind of chat facility?
mattst88
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
what do you mean by "as in #gentoo-embedded on freenode" ? Is this some kind of chat facility?

Yes, that is the IRC channel.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
Is it a simple case of downloading the tbz2 and then adding it to folder and then specify the location in make.conf ?
Actually, is is easier than that.
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I tried adding the http location in make.conf

"http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/cross-pkgs/armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc/All/"

but when it came to the installation asking to pull in the binaries, emerge complained about something not be supported/being in the wrong format. I have managed to create binaries for my x86 machines and usually put them in a folder /usr/portage/packages/All (or it does this itself) and when I request to install binary packages, it seems to find them. This doesn't work with my NSLU2 install :(

I am wondering whether I should just install debianslug (it looks much easier to install and may be a better option given I cant get corssdev to work on my machines to help the poor slug compile :( ) but I really wanted to use my NSLU2 to sync the portage tree in the night and have it available for all my other computers on the LAN the next morning. Is there anything I could use to get a non-gentoo machine to emerge --sync ?

Or is this a case of just asking it to wget the latest portage file and untar it everynight, and then export it on nfs to the other machines?

I really don't want to resort to debian, I'd like all the machines to be gentoo :(
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
Actually I tried adding the http location in make.conf

"http://tinderbox.dev.gentoo.org/cross-pkgs/armeb-softfloat-linux-uclibc/All/"

but when it came to the installation asking to pull in the binaries, emerge complained about something not be supported/being in the wrong format.
Posting the contents of make.conf might allow the problem to be found, the output of emerge --info might also be necessary.
Unclethommy wrote:
I have managed to create binaries for my x86 machines and usually put them in a folder /usr/portage/packages/All (or it does this itself) and when I request to install binary packages, it seems to find them. This doesn't work with my NSLU2 install :(
For any otherwise unused small package which is not currently installed, does emerge -b $package && emerge -C $package && emerge -K $package function properly? If not, how does it fail?
Unclethommy wrote:
Is there anything I could use to get a non-gentoo machine to emerge --sync ?
So long as you ignore the effects of emerge --metadata, as that would only be relevant on systems actually using the tree as opposed to merely mirroring it, doing so only requires rsync. Given /usr/portage/ as the directory where the tree is to be located and using the main mirror rotation, rsync --recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage /usr/portage/, you might want to select a more appropriate mirror rotation. There is documentation available which describes in detail how to configure the mirror server.
Unclethommy wrote:
Or is this a case of just asking it to wget the latest portage file and untar it everynight, and then export it on nfs to the other machines?
Do not do it that way, it will only waste time, effort and bandwidth.
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

desultory, thanks for you comments. I think I am going to try to get debianslug on the NSLU2 and rsync my portage tree as you say. Sadly, I am not expert enough to manhand gentoo to work on it (a lot of things seem to be hard to get up and running). I will report back on whether I can get it working :)
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, this could be the source to all my woes. :D

Thanks to whoever's set this up :D :D :D

slack
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now given up on getting gentoo onto the NSLU2. As I'll be relying on prebuilt packages anyway, I thought debian may be more appropriate. I now have debianslug working perfectly on it and the performance is not too shabby. Running, nfs share for portage as well all my media files on samba and my webpage.

Next thing I want to do is solder some extra USB ports and get my printer as a shared samba printer on the network. I love this piece of kit!
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:

Next thing I want to do is solder some extra USB ports and get my printer as a shared samba printer on the network.

You could avoid getting the soldering iron out and potentially frying it by using a USB hub on one of the ports.

Unclethommy wrote:
I love this piece of kit!

Me too, although I'm getting slightly annoyed with the problems I've been having of late, but I like a challenge :D

Real shame Linksys stopped making them.

slack
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too late, already got it soldered. Works like a charm. I didnt want to use a powered usb hub so I just added more USB ports so its all nice and neat inside the NSLU2.

Will configure my printer and samba printing this weekend. Debian has made life a lot easier...

Good luck with yours. :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: