Can't compile on NSLU2 "no package digest" [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Can't compile on NSLU2 "no package digest" [solved Reply with quote

Hi there,

I am one of the latest people to try to install gentoo with my nlsu2. I have read all the doucmentation and have successfully flashed slugos to the NSLUS2 and have got to the stage where I can chroot and sync my portage tree. But then when it comes to installing anything I keep getting messages like this:

!!! No package digest file found: /usr/portage/dev-lang/python/files/digest-python-2.4.4-r13
!!! Type "ebuild foo.ebuild digest" to generate it.

This happens to all my programs...

I found something about converting manifest 2 to manifest 1 but when run it takes a long time and keeps spewing out errors about "kde.eclass"

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/portage/doc/converting-manifest2.xml

Does someone know how I can get a working portage tree to at least get openssh compiled so I can ssh into it remotely to configure the rest so it can boot by itself? At the moment I have to keep chrooting into my gentoo root from another machine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Unclethommy on Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT:

Ok so I seem to have made one step forward in just typing

Code:
ebuild <package dir> digest

and then running emerge again.

The problem is there are so many things that are required to even get openssh installed. The first is util-linux which seems to be stuck in a loop when trying to run the configuration. It keeps saying:

Code:
cd . && /bin/sh /var/tmp/portage/util-linux-2.13.1.1/work/util-linux-ng-2.13.1.1/config/missing --run autoconf
aclocal.m4:17: error: this file was generated for autoconf 2.61.
You have another version of autoconf.  If you want to use that,
you should regenerate the build system entirely.

None of this is documented in the gentoo nslu2 wiki and I am wondering what I have done wrong which has caused such problems.... does anyone have any ideas? I've followed the wiki to the letter...
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem and others have too (see this thread and you may also find this one useful too).

I basically had to digest everything until I'd got portage updated and then things were resolved if I remember correctly.

In general however I've found getting the system up-to-date to be quite problematic, and recently I've managed to screw up my compiler and hose sshd.

Good luck with it all, I did get things working in the end using the wiki and the two threads.
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi slack---line,

Thanks for the heads up. This is what I thought I would finally have to do to get things working. Basically manually digest the required ebuilds.

Do I need to convert from manifest 2 to manifest 1 ?

I have a tar.bz file of someone who claims to have got gentoo already installed and has gone through the lengthy process of buildign packages and configuring everything. I am torn between waiting patiently for my own install to work properly or just to restart the process and just use this person's backup of the root file system... as it is the same machine, everything should work properly apart from changing thingfs like IP addresses and passwords , right?

Any words of wisdom ?
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unclethommy wrote:
Hi slack---line,

Thanks for the heads up. This is what I thought I would finally have to do to get things working. Basically manually digest the required ebuilds.

Do I need to convert from manifest 2 to manifest 1 ?

This will be resolved when you digest the ebuilds. Try 'emerge -av portage' and see what it pulls in to be updated and try digesting those first and once done emerge portage.

Unclethommy wrote:

I have a tar.bz file of someone who claims to have got gentoo already installed and has gone through the lengthy process of buildign packages and configuring everything. I am torn between waiting patiently for my own install to work properly or just to restart the process and just use this person's backup of the root file system... as it is the same machine, everything should work properly apart from changing thingfs like IP addresses and passwords , right?

Any words of wisdom ?

In theory that should be possible, its kind of like using a customised stage3. IP address shouldn't be a problem since its likely to be using udhcpc to get a dynamic IP, but definately things like passwords and /etc/hosts , /etc/hosts.allow , /etc/hosts.deny , /etc/groups and passwords will need to be changed (and you friend will have to trust you so you can get into your system and change the passwords). Note that you may have problems if you don't pay careful attention to /etc/fstab as your partition scheme may well differ from his. And there are no doubt a few other things that you need to be careful with (would need to sit down and go through things in my mind).

I guess the choice is yours, you could set-up a crossdev environment on your main desktop/server to ease the load on compiling on the NSLU2 which can take quite a while, haven't done this yet myself, but thats cause I've been busy/a bit lazy.

Have to say I'm not entirely satisfied with my install, but until the recent problems I mentioned it worked, I could ssh into it and it sync'd overnight to provide a central NFS of /usr/portage for my other comps. Haven't had the time or inclination to sort out the current problem though (but will do in due course).

slack
Unclethommy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll soldier on with my own compile.

I really want to get the three things you've mentioned working:

- Get ssh working so I dont have to keep chrooting into it from my main desktop machine.

- Get it to crossdev with distcc as I have 3 large machines waiting to number crunch and it should ease the compilation times which are oh-so-slow at the moment lol.

- Get the rsync working so like you, I can have it update itself with the latest portage and share it out to the other gentoo machines on the network.

I will keep you posted on my progress. Especially as I want to get the crossdev thing but I have a lot to emerge on the slug before I can start using distcc and other machines so I will have to go through some pain first I guess...

Could you clarify whether it is best to have glibc or uclibc ? Whats the difference from one or the other? Is it preference or will it allow me to use more programs? and is it worth the effort to change from one to the other?
slackline
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've opted for uclibc myself. The threads I linked to seemed to indicate that there were problems with glibc.

Couldn't tell you the difference myself I'm afraid, but I think uclibc is geared towards embedded systems so overall may be a bit quicker.

Some things haven't built too well against uclibc, but have been resolved now (I was trying to get the torrent client transmission installed, but its only with recent updates >1.20 if memory serves that it installed).

If you've done the install, I think you should be able to boot the NSLU2 from the external drive and have gentoo running. Check what you've got starting at boot with 'rc-update show' and ensure you've got sshd in either boot or default, but once thats done you should then be able to reboot and have gentoo running the NSLU2 and be able to ssh straight in (check the final steps in the wiki entry though). Don't think you really need to update everything within the chroot'd environment, but I can't remember exactly when I did this.

I opted to install eix on the NSLU2 to take care of syncing portage and overlays. Theres an entry in the wiki on a shared portage tree here.

Starting to get more headaches on my system though, keep on getting 'Jul 15 12:09:05 [mountd] Cannot export /usr/portage, possibly unsupported filesystem or fsid= required' errors occuring, grrrrr.

slack
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: