Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Do you gentoo users want xine support in totem again ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devport
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:15 pm    Post subject: Do you gentoo users want xine support in totem again ? Reply with quote

The totem ebuild dropped xine support even though totem still supports xine ( as far as I know xine support was dropped because gentoo devs falsely assumed that xine support would be removed upstream which didnt happen and wont happen soon - probably because the gstreamer backend still is way too buggy ).

Some reasons to readd the xine backend support to totem :

- Freedom of choice

- The gstreamer backend still is buggy with regards to DVD playback

- The gstreamer backend crashes easily and often
( Play an mpeg2 video and skip back and forth fast and continously )

- The gstreamer backend still does not support accelerated xvmc playback
( Play an mpeg2 video and compare cpu consumption to an xine based player - in my case instead of idling at 1GHz gstreamer playback makes my cpu go to full frequency 2GHz wasting electricity, money, computing time and desktop responsiveness )

- As far as I know by reading on the web gstreamer backend still does not deinterlace e.g. mpeg2 videos
( I cant check it because totem with gstreamer backend crashes before I can skip to a position in a video where I can check it )

- On the whole and large the xine backend is more powerful ( feature complete ) and more stable ( has less bugs ) than the gstreamer backend.

- xine support doesnt impose any more work on the gentoo devs than gstreamer ( in worst case they could issue a message that they dont want to see any xine related bug reports ) - the ebuild xine backend support maintainance work is neglegtable cause its been done by users already.

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=176368
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=230907

Note that gentoo devs dont want totem to support xine with the argument that they wouldnt be able to fix bugs in xine itself. This argument is not valid since they werent able to fix the formentioned gstreamer bugs since several years, the gstreamer bugs are more severe than the xine bugs and they could fix xine bugs as easy as gstreamer bugs if they wanted to. If xine was not supported by gentoo why would it be in the gentoo tree...

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-5143174.html#5143174

This poll is targeted at gentoo users and not gentoo devs - cars are made to meet the consumers and not the sellers needs.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Split from topic "Do you gentoo users want xine support in totem again ?" after leaving the poll in that topic.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: