Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[NEWS] 2008.0_beta2 released
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also happy to see progress, but I still don't believe this date will end the horror of waiting...

Last edited by 187451 on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things can still go wrong, but at least the updated releng page shows that
someone is still trying to get a release out. The actual date doesn't matter
so much.

Will
pdw_hu
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive my ignorance, but why is it such a big deal to have a final 2008.0 release? After a sync and world update you'll have the latest things anyway. Am I missing something here?
daijo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, but why is it such a big deal to have a final 2008.0 release? After a sync and world update you'll have the latest things anyway. Am I missing something here?

<ironic>
Yes, the "vpenis" of each user increases if it installs the "latest publicly available release" instead upgrading it system. Mine is constantly decreasing each time I update my /etc/make.profile symlink and run `emerge -NDavut world` because the time taken to get things ready is minor.
</ironic>

By the way, we're expecting the 2008.0 final for our new installs (I use catalyst for my own stage3 - but everyone is not me). Thanks for the time Gentoo people is putting on it and if quality means time we can wait for it.
CrazyTerabyte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-amd64.xml?part=1&chap=7

It says to configure "USB Full HID support" inside USB Support, but in fact it is placed inside HID Devices.

I'm installing Gentoo on my new laptop right now, so expect some more feedback later (in the next hours or the next days).

As I promised, I have some feedback about the 2008.0 beta 2 amd64 live-cd.

I've posted what I've done in my blog, but I will try to summarize here some things that could be improved on gentoo live-cd.

I've not tried any of the automatic installers. I like to install by following the handbook.

handbook shortcut - I think there should be a handbook shortcut at the desktop, near the installers shortcuts. I think this is one of the most important things to be changed before the final release. (IMHO)

More programs - I think the live-cd should contain a few more programs:

• x11-apps/xset
  • net-misc/vnc
  • x11-misc/x11vnc
  • x11-misc/x2vnc
  • net-misc/rdesktop
  • some graphical frontend for VNC and rdesktop (maybe net-misc/grdesktop or net-misc/tsclient)
  • sys-fs/dd-rescue and/or sys-fs/ddrescue

Basically, xset is useful to set some X parameters using the command-line, a vnc server is useful to let us control the live-cd remotely, and the vnc/rdesktop client is useful to let us control another computer remotely.

unionfs - unionfs is something that allows the user make changes to the read-only system. Actually, it "overlaps" a read-write RAM filesystem over the read-only loopback filesystem from CD. This would allow the user to even emerge things onto the live-cd itself! System Rescue CD, which is based on Gentoo, is now using unionfs.

docache - There is a boot parameter called "docache" that supposedly would copy the CD contents to RAM, and then let the user umount and eject the CD. I've tried to use it, but it did not work. I hope you can fix this before the final release.

Intel 3945ABG Wi-Fi - Asus M51Sn notebook (or any notebook with Intel Centrino platform) has a Intel wi-fi card. I don't know if the kernel module is compiled in live-cd, but it also requires net-wireless/iwl3945-ucode package (which contains the firmware for the card). I understand that you can't put every firmware on the live-cd (even because of license issues, maybe), but if we could emerge that package, the problem would be solved... (hum... actually, not... how can I emerge without network?)

hdparm and SATA - The handbook (section Optional: Tweaking Hard Disk Performance) tell us to enable DMA for /dev/sda... Well, as far as I discovered, DMA is part of SATA specification (this is what a guy on IRC said), and it should be already enabled for SATA disks. I've tried to run "hdparm -d /dev/sda" to see if DMA was enabled, and I got no output. If I run it for /dev/hda (which is an IDE CD/DVD), then I get the output saying that DMA is 1 (enabled). Thus, I think that portion of the handbook is a bit misleading and confusing, and should be updated.

That's it. I hope you like the feedback.
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:
As I promised, I have some feedback about the 2008.0 beta 2 amd64 live-cd.

Thanks for your detailed feedback! Please file bugs so that our release engineering team actually sees it.
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pdw_hu wrote:

It's handy. though not essential, in two cases: firstly, when you have recent hardware and want to boot off a Gentoo Live CD for
some reason, and secondly when you want to install Gentoo without a broadband connection. I generally buy or have someone
download the Gentoo Live DVD whenever one is released. and update my Gentoo system that way. I can download relatively
small amounts via a network connection, but a full install would be beyond me.

Will
cyblord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great... now we're expecting 2008.0 to come out June 30

http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/release/2008.0/index.xml
arnvidr
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that they're updating that page :)
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another delay?.. What a complete shock.
bob doe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest Im curious as to why it would take a week to 'upload media'...
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyTerabyte wrote:

Intel 3945ABG Wi-Fi - Asus M51Sn notebook (or any notebook with Intel Centrino platform) has a Intel wi-fi card. I don't know if the kernel module is compiled in live-cd, but it also requires net-wireless/iwl3945-ucode package (which contains the firmware for the card). I understand that you can't put every firmware on the live-cd (even because of license issues, maybe), but if we could emerge that package, the problem would be solved... (hum... actually, not... how can I emerge without network?)

Great feedback...I never tought that of that, I hope that this iwl3945-ucode or iwl4965-ucode will be inside the LiveCD.
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob doe:I agree, they are testing our patience :) , but there is "One final check is made of all release materials" and they have to do this till 27 June. They need some time, because of great numer of all release stuff.
aidecoe
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Latest stages Reply with quote

I'm new on the Gentoo forum. Hi All! :)

Is there possibility to download the final 2008.0 stage3? I suppose it's ready. Anyway it would be nice to make it available.
cyblord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome, aidecoe!
CrazyTerabyte
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Latest stages Reply with quote

aidecoe wrote:
Is there possibility to download the final 2008.0 stage3? I suppose it's ready. Anyway it would be nice to make it available.

I'm really not sure...

But meanwhile you can download the 2008.0 beta stage3. Although it is called beta, it works really well (believe me, because I've just installed it on my notebook!), and is even preferred over the ancient 2007.x stage (that's what people on #gentoo say).
cyblord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Latest stages Reply with quote

who Terabyte! you're from rio? I hear it's quite intense down there
NathanZachary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Latest stages Reply with quote

aidecoe wrote:
I'm new on the Gentoo forum. Hi All! :)

Firstly, welcome to the forum. Secondly, you might also want to consider using the Funtoo stage3 tarball from funtoo.org.

In reference to the comments about there being yet another delay, I'm going to have to agree with arnvidr that it's nice that they're at least updating the releng 2008.0 roadmap page. I understand that things happen and releases get delayed, and that's fine, but it is good to at least update the release information page to reflect the push-back.
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the Gentoo Handbook for network based installs is being updated for 2008.0? There's a bit of outdated information in the 2007.1 handbook (such as the assumption that hard drives will be IDE) that caused me confusion when installing the first time.
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no 2007.1 handbook, because there never was a 2007.1 release. And yes, I've been keeping the handbooks up to date. Go read 'em and see.
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there are no longer new versions of the handbook for each release?
cyblord
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The handbooks are constantly updated according to the latest releases... I think
yngwin
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyblord wrote:
The handbooks are constantly updated according to the latest releases... I think

Indeed they are!
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srunni wrote:

Did you not bother to check? If you had, you'd see that there are handbooks for the 2008.0 release. I'm constantly updating the handbooks, whether for an official release or for the betas. They're a constant work in progress, so the GDP makes sure they're not neglected, as they're our most important documents.
srunni
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
srunni wrote:

Did you not bother to check? If you had, you'd see that there are handbooks for the 2008.0 release. I'm constantly updating the handbooks, whether for an official release or for the betas. They're a constant work in progress, so the GDP makes sure they're not neglected, as they're our most important documents.

That's what I meant - for the networked install, you just have a continuously updated guide. The only 2008.0 specific guide I see is http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/2008.0/index.xml, which only covers the networkless install. When I last checked the main (networked) handbook about a month ago, there were quite a few things that were out of date. I'll take a look at it again to see if those things have been updated.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: