Missed something with kernel?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject: Missed something with kernel? Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

I just got an additional Sparc box setup (Ultra60) and I seem to have missed something. When I run 'ps -deaf', I get the following message in the output:
Code:

modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/tts/64

I've followed the install guide (and have done this more than once) so I'm not sure what I missed. And, the error changes. Before a recent reboot, the same command gave:
Code:

modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/ptc
modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/ptmx
modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/ptym

What did I miss?
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what I'm seeing here, my first question would be did you enable serial support and support for the /dev/pts file system?
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
Based on what I'm seeing here, my first question would be did you enable serial support and support for the /dev/pts file system?

Serial is built into the kernel, and I just noticed that /dev/pts is not listed in the menu configurator (Should be under filesystems, correct?). I added it by hand and will recompile test. When I started X then got out, I got tons of modprobe errors, similar to the ones I listed, though for devices like apm-bios, /dev/dri/card0, and others. I did not get a chance to note them all though.

Steven
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:05 pm    Post subject: Any other thoughts? Reply with quote

I've added /dev/pts into the kernel, and rebooted and I still get the following message on 'ps -deaf' :
Code:

root      739     1   2   07:56 ?        00:00:02 /usr/sbin/sshd
modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/tts/64
root      750     1   0   07:52 /tts/0  00:00:00 /sbin/agetty 9600 ttyS0 vt100

Any ideas?
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Ok, now its getting odd Reply with quote

I just created a user account. Everything else has been root. I logged into the user account and got spammed with 50+ messages from modprobe. I did not get them all, but I saw:

/dev/sound
/dev/usb

Which makes me think. I removed those from the kernel (since I have no USB, and I'm using SPARC sound. Anyone else see anything like this before? All of the other systems I've loaded never had this, so I'm wondering if I did something oddly wrong during the installation.

Thanks.
latexer
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok, now its getting odd Reply with quote

sfaulconer wrote:
I just created a user account. Everything else has been root. I logged into the user account and got spammed with 50+ messages from modprobe. I did not get them all, but I saw:

/dev/sound
/dev/usb

Which makes me think. I removed those from the kernel (since I have no USB, and I'm using SPARC sound. Anyone else see anything like this before? All of the other systems I've loaded never had this, so I'm wondering if I did something oddly wrong during the installation.

Thanks.

i finally have entered the sparc realm and bought a U2 recently. running gentoo diskless, and i'm getting tons of these errors as well. haven't had time to dig into it. i thought it was a biproduct of running / over NFS...

#gentoo-dotnet on freenode
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ok, now its getting odd Reply with quote

latexer wrote:
sfaulconer wrote:

/dev/sound
/dev/usb

Thanks.

i finally have entered the sparc realm and bought a U2 recently. running gentoo diskless, and i'm getting tons of these errors as well. haven't had time to dig into it. i thought it was a biproduct of running / over NFS...

I've built a couple SPARC boxes so far, and only this one is giving me problems. When initially installing Gentoo, I had quite a few errors about /dev/stdout and /dev/stderr not existing, but it seemed to go ok anyway.

SMF
Weeve
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, I'm not entirely sure what is causing this.

I do have a couple kernel configs up at http://dev.gentoo.org/~weeve/configs/kernel_configs/ that you can view if you want. I don't get these messages so maybe you'll see something that will stick out for you.
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weeve wrote:
Hrm, I'm not entirely sure what is causing this.

I do have a couple kernel configs up at http://dev.gentoo.org/~weeve/configs/kernel_configs/ that you can view if you want. I don't get these messages so maybe you'll see something that will stick out for you.

My box at home doesn't get them, and my other box at the office doesn't, so I'm lost. I'm sending my kernel config to work, since the hardware is 99% the same and see if I'm missing something. If it cleans up the errors, I'll diff the two and post, and maybe we can figure out the key ingredient.

SMF
latexer
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post just popped up on the linux-net mailinglist. i'm not home now to checkout if this is what's going on w/ my U2 with an nfsroot, but it sure sounds like it.

do you have nfsroot enabled for that particular machine?

#gentoo-dotnet on freenode
sfaulconer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

latexer wrote:
This post just popped up on the linux-net mailinglist. i'm not home now to checkout if this is what's going on w/ my U2 with an nfsroot, but it sure sounds like it.

do you have nfsroot enabled for that particular machine?

I'm not using nfsroot. All of my filesystems are on local hard drives. I tried using my .config from my home system (same hardware) but I did something screwy and it bombed when trying to run 'make oldconfig' so I'm going to try bringing it on a floppy disk and trying again at some point. The system seems to run fine other than the errors. I'm getting alot of RENDER errors from X, but I'm still looking into that.

SMF
mmontg1
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: same thing... new install Reply with quote

I'm actually getting the same thing on a machine I just setup for someone.

two of mine are:

modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/ptc
modprobe: Can't locate module /dev/ptym

This is a motherboard with nvidia buildin ethernet (nvnet), MSI K7NDelta, I think. Nvidia Nforce2 chipset video, Creative Audigy. Gentoo 1.4 release, ck-sources.... I'll update this with the .config as soon as I can.

This is odd.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: