Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Generating list of URL to be downloaded?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
salimma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Generating list of URL to be downloaded? Reply with quote

Hello,

I've read the documentation online, as far as can be done without installing Gentoo itself, but I've not quite worked out yet how to get emerge --pretend to output a list of URLs that I can just feed to wget to download.

The problem is that the computer I want to install Gentoo on is on a very expensive slow 56k connection. I *definitely* can't afford to have it up for 2 days - would cost more than buying a boxed set of Linux!

The other option is to install portage on the computer I want to download on - but I only have access to /tmp. Is there any way I can get emerge --download to put the downloaded files somewhere else other than /usr/portage/distfiles? I don't have write permission on /usr on that computer.

Thanks,
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Generating list of URL to be downloaded? Reply with quote

salimma wrote:
Is there any way I can get emerge --download to put the downloaded files somewhere else other than /usr/portage/distfiles?

You can set your DISTDIR variable in /etc/make.conf to point to wherever you want. Of course, that assumes you have write access to /etc/make.conf. (I think you can also export it as an environmental variable, though I'm not sure -- anyone else know for sure?)

--kurt
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Generating list of URL to be downloaded? Reply with quote

salimma wrote:
The problem is that the computer I want to install Gentoo on is on a very expensive slow 56k connection. I *definitely* can't afford to have it up for 2 days - would cost more than buying a boxed set of Linux!

You could also order a CD from Cheapbytes for USD$5. Might take a while to reach you in the UK, but it's a cheap option. Though I believe that's just a stage 3 CD, which means that you'll still have to emerge all your regular packages, such as kde, xfree86, etc.

--kurt
salimma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Generating list of URL to be downloaded? Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
You could also order a CD from Cheapbytes for USD$5. Might take a while to reach you in the UK, but it's a cheap option. Though I believe that's just a stage 3 CD, which means that you'll still have to emerge all your regular packages, such as kde, xfree86, etc.

That won't really be necessary - I can download at my department's computer room and burn it to CD. The problem is generating the list of URLs for the files to be downloaded.

On the machine with fast connection (connected to JANET, the academic network in UK) I can only write to my home directory (almost up to quota limit) and /tmp . I cannot chroot so just now I tried downloading the stage1 tarball and tried to fix the .py files for emerge to point to the right location (adding /tmp to everything) but it's rather a mess.

Thinking of downloading the small stage1 bz2 at home and doing emerge --pretend and/or --download-only ...

Any idea welcome.

Thanks,
salimma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Gentoo-sources Reply with quote

Found it :) that should do the trick nicely.

Thanks,

Michel
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: