buildpkg/quickpkg and single/dual CPU systems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sieg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:08 pm    Post subject: buildpkg/quickpkg and single/dual CPU systems Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm about to install Gentoo on 4 dual Xeon's and 2 single Xeon systems. We will often need to use buildpkg or quickpkg to deploy packages from the dev/test servers to the production servers. What I was wondering is what would be the impact of building a package on a dual cpu system that would have MAKEOPTS=-j5 and then running it on only a single CPU systems (they have HT enabled)?

Would this cause any problems since there would not be a second CPU? Would there be any performance impact?
Or would it be better to build them using MAKEOPTS=-j3?

It would be great if there would not be any impact at all, but I'd like to know! :) They will all be Xeons with HT, so CPU architechture for all of them will be the same.

Thanks a lot for any input considering this! :)
robmoss
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2003 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... well, I *think* that -j5 only affects how many instances of the compiler run at once, so as far as I know there would be no problems. But if I were you I'd wait for someone who really knows what they're talking about to reply...!
Sieg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info! Hopefully someone can confirm this but I guess it would make sense reading the description of MAKEOPTS in the make.conf file.
Ox-
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From stat's that I've seen (sorry can't remember the link now) it doesn't hurt anything to go too high with -j. It's just a case of diminishing returns. Seriously diminishing, as in the line almost goes flat... but as long as your number is still within reason it doesn't go down :)
Sieg
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Would there be anything else to lookout for? Or if someone could confirm what robmoss2k said, it would be really appreciated! :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: