sgi fuel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: sgi fuel Reply with quote

sgi fuel R16000-700/800Mhz is a great mips machine with irix

i know gentoo is not officially supporting sgi/mips, and i know gentoo/mips hobby guys are targeting their mind to sgi o2/o2+ sgi octane/2 ... but the question in my mind is: what about the sgi fuel ?
i mean: how deep are the knowledge about it ? what we need to know to have a running kernel on it ? what is still missing ? who is working (hard) around it ? is there any git/url ?

googling, and asking (yes, i know there are people living in irc freenode gentoo-mips i'de better contact about, but i personally don't like the freenode politic ... so i will never access it) ...

by the way, from what i could read around the web, i am a bit confused about linux on fuel: somebody says "never", somebody replies "it may be", other people says "by the end of the new year"

what is the Truth about it ?
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: sgi fuel Reply with quote

ddc wrote:
sgi fuel R16000-700/800Mhz is a great mips machine with irix

i know gentoo is not officially supporting sgi/mips, and i know gentoo/mips hobby guys are targeting their mind to sgi o2/o2+ sgi octane/2 ... but the question in my mind is: what about the sgi fuel ?

Correction, we officially support running Gentoo on MIPS-based SGI... it's things like the Fulong that are still being worked on. ;-)

Linux does not run on the Fuel. End of story. There is no support for it in the kernel, and they're too hard to obtain.

ddc wrote:
i mean: how deep are the knowledge about it ? what we need to know to have a running kernel on it ? what is still missing ? who is working (hard) around it ? is there any git/url ?

You need secret documents that SGI won't publish that describe how critical parts work. IP35 in general apparently works, in so far as the Linux kernel boots, but without working PCI support, and in uniprocessor mode.

http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/IP35 is where the current porting efforts are at this time. As you can see, practically nothing is known about this system.

Until such time as PCI is working, thus allowing access to the network and SCSI devices, you can forget Linux running on this beast in the near future, especially Gentoo.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gentoo officially supporting sgi mips (BE) machine ?
thank goodness for that =)

Quote:
from the wiki page

A plea for hardware

The development effort could be helped by getting more hardware into the hands of developers. If you have Origin or Onyx hardware or parts that you want to get rid of, don't junk it, don't squeeze out the last few bucks from eBay but get it into the hands of a capable hacker!

well, googling i found this wiki page, but ... you know people is terribly lazy about wiki page, so wiki pages are not reporting news and updated facts

people prefer to live communicate such as into IRC channel ...
... unfortunately you know irc/freenode/gentoo-mips has rules i don't like at all

so i wander about news 2 years later that wiki page

by the way, i also wander ... fuel are so rare/expensive piece of hardware, so how many "hackers" could have a fuel to make the linux kernel running on it ? has the fuel project to be considered -died- ? 2 years later, no news, i think so

also i wander how hackers could have hacked octanes, in the past ?
it should be as complicated as indigo, indi, o2 ... fuel .... and sgi has released a poor doc ...
where is doc about octane ? i find (thank you so much for your link) doc about indi ... but what about the o2 ?

umm i think i miss something about the story: how/who/when/how long was the sgi mips machines hack

what is clear is: i can have a fuel here, cause there are person who think this:

Quote:
If you have hardware or parts that you want to get rid of, don't junk it, don't squeeze out the last few bucks from eBay but get it into the hands of a capable hacker!

and well, i am not a capable hacker (i mean it should be my first hack) but i d like to hack it, cause the fuel is a good piece of hardware ...
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddc wrote:
gentoo officially supporting sgi mips (BE) machine ?
thank goodness for that =)

The SGI port was the first ever port of Gentoo to the MIPS platform. Second came Cobalt, then Loongson.

ddc wrote:
well, googling i found this wiki page, but ... you know people is terribly lazy about wiki page, so wiki pages are not reporting news and updated facts

They get even lazier updating a static web page. Wiki means anyone who knows better can update the page.

ddc wrote:
people prefer to live communicate such as into IRC channel ...
... unfortunately you know irc/freenode/gentoo-mips has rules i don't like at all

Well, #gentoo-mips is the wrong place in any case... #mipslinux would be the place to ask such questions, or the Linux/MIPS mailing list (linux-mips@linux-mips.org).

ddc wrote:
so i wander about news 2 years later that wiki page

Again, the best people to ask, don't read these forums. The Linux/MIPS mailing list would be the place to ask.

ddc wrote:
by the way, i also wander ... fuel are so rare/expensive piece of hardware, so how many "hackers" could have a fuel to make the linux kernel running on it ? has the fuel project to be considered -died- ? 2 years later, no news, i think so

That's one of the reasons it hasn't been touched until now. They're prohibitively expensive. The Octane was until only a few years ago. Likewise the O2.

As these boxes depreciate, they're eventually getting to a point where they're worthless as IRIX workhorses, but are slowly getting into the price range suitable for hobby work.

ddc wrote:
also i wander how hackers could have hacked octanes, in the past ?
it should be as complicated as indigo, indi, o2 ... fuel .... and sgi has released a poor doc ...
where is doc about octane ? i find (thank you so much for your link) doc about indi ... but what about the o2 ?

The Indy is a completely different beast to the O2, Octane, and Fuel. Everything known about the Octane was found through reverse engineering... with the exception of perhaps IOC3, which it shares with IP27 (Origin 200/2000, which Linux has supported since early kernel 2.4 days).

ddc wrote:
umm i think i miss something about the story: how/who/when/how long was the sgi mips machines hack

what is clear is: i can have a fuel here, cause there are person who think this:

Quote:
If you have hardware or parts that you want to get rid of, don't junk it, don't squeeze out the last few bucks from eBay but get it into the hands of a capable hacker!

and well, i am not a capable hacker (i mean it should be my first hack) but i d like to hack it, cause the fuel is a good piece of hardware ...

Again, I'm really not the right person to ask, as I don't know the answers to these questions. You probably want to go talking to the Linux/MIPS people directly.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
armanox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddc wrote:

by the way, i also wander ... fuel are so rare/expensive piece of hardware, so how many "hackers" could have a fuel to make the linux kernel running on it ?

LUGs are a great place to find such hardware and hackers. Big companies like to donate old hardware for tax writeoffs. NASA donated several years ago an Octane* to my group, with two blank 20GB HDDs. Lockheed Martin donated an O2 and and Octane to us as well, both with IRIX installed. We picked up another O2 and two Indy's at a flea market. But, expense is a huge factor in finding these things - an Octane sold for a rediculus amount of money (I think I've heard like 50K?), so did the fuel. The SGI Fuel being newer, is still depreciating into affordable range. But, as I said, LUGs are good at collecting odd hardware.

*This box is the main box I handle with Gentoo. I'm sorta in charge of all MIPS boxen in my LUG.
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redhatter wrote:

Well, #gentoo-mips is the wrong place in any case... #mipslinux would be the place to ask such questions, or the Linux/MIPS mailing list (linux-mips@linux-mips.org).

well, there was a misunderstanding born into the #gentoo-mips, a no reason ban which people propagated it into #mipslinux without asking any explanation ...
i explained facts, and i have been waiting for an answer for 2 years

2 years later ... i am still reading this:

* Cannot join #gentoo-mips (You are banned).
* Cannot join #mipslinux (You are banned).

well, so it's now clear that external people is not the welcome into such a channels

so i think i will add myself to the mail list, or trash definitely any idea of collaboration

Last edited by ddc on Fri May 09, 2008 11:05 am; edited 2 times in total
ddc
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

armanox wrote:
ddc wrote:

by the way, i also wander ... fuel are so rare/expensive piece of hardware, so how many "hackers" could have a fuel to make the linux kernel running on it ?

LUGs are a great place to find such hardware and hackers. Big companies like to donate old hardware for tax writeoffs. NASA donated several years ago an Octane* to my group, with two blank 20GB HDDs. Lockheed Martin donated an O2 and and Octane to us as well, both with IRIX installed. We picked up another O2 and two Indy's at a flea market. But, expense is a huge factor in finding these things - an Octane sold for a rediculus amount of money (I think I've heard like 50K?), so did the fuel. The SGI Fuel being newer, is still depreciating into affordable range. But, as I said, LUGs are good at collecting odd hardware.

*This box is the main box I handle with Gentoo. I'm sorta in charge of all MIPS boxen in my LUG.

YEP =P good idea, unfortunately the LinuxUsergroups i know in italy don't seem to be interested about MIPS at all ...

umm, so could you suggest me a good LUG ? =P
armanox
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ddc wrote:

YEP =P good idea, unfortunately the LinuxUsergroups i know in italy don't seem to be interested about MIPS at all ...

umm, so could you suggest me a good LUG ? =P

Well, I personally recomend the Open Capitol College Unix and Linux Team (OCCULT), but that would require you to be in the states.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: