daemonforums.org
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vermaden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: daemonforums.org Reply with quote

Propably most of you already noticed that bsdforums.org are abandoned
because of spam, and daemonforums.org is currently its superior.

For details read this:
http://bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59607

So please welcome daemonforums.org ;)
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how does moving a forum defeat spammers? they'll just find that one and spam it to all hell too... :lol: :lol: :roll:

edit:

Quote:
I just glanced through "/dev/null" and in April there are about 40 pages @ 25 messages. That is 1000 spam messages in a single month.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance... :lol:
square_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
how does moving a forum defeat spammers? they'll just find that one and spam it to all hell too... :lol: :lol: :roll:

edit:

Quote:
I just glanced through "/dev/null" and in April there are about 40 pages @ 25 messages. That is 1000 spam messages in a single month.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaambulance... :lol:

after reading that thread ... the admin was uncooperative and wouldnt do anything about the spam.
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

square_ wrote:
after reading that thread ... the admin was uncooperative and wouldnt do anything about the spam.

instead of making a new forum, why not "hire" more admins/mods? sounds like yet another attention-whore scheme... :lol:
square_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
square_ wrote:

instead of making a new forum, why not "hire" more admins/mods? sounds like yet another attention-whore scheme... :lol:

thats exactly what the admin refused to do.

Quote:
...Because of the increased activity of spammers & the inability & unwillingness of the Admin to address, correct, or share control, the community leaves this site once & for all. As of today, all manual deletion of spam will cease. No other measures are in place, so this site will quickly & increasingly be infested by spammers' filth...
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
square_ wrote:

attention is exactly what they need. So lets sent the adresses of the boards to known spammers .... :twisted:

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
vermaden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
how does moving a forum defeat spammers?

You definetly do not understand current situation, bsdforums do not use any CAPTCHA/RECAPTCHA to stop spam, moderators talked many times to site admin to resolve this but it looks like he is not interested in doing anything in bsdforums, so we created new forums, properly protected from spam.
energyman76b
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vermaden wrote:
bunder wrote:

You definetly do not understand current situation, bsdforums do not use any CAPTCHA/RECAPTCHA to stop spam, moderators talked many times to site admin to resolve this but it looks like he is not interested in doing anything in bsdforums, so we created new forums, properly protected from spam.

and rightly so. CAPTCHA does not defeat spam. The real spammers have broken that 'protection' a long time ago.

I identify as a dirty penismensch.
abaelinor
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energyman76b wrote:
vermaden wrote:
bunder wrote:

and rightly so. CAPTCHA does not defeat spam. The real spammers have broken that 'protection' a long time ago.

my blog just uses domain blacklisting. whenever i flag a message as spam, all domains listed in that message are permanently banned (and the message is removed). no messages can be posted using domains on the blacklist. and any time someone tries to post those addresses, the duration on the ban extends further (i have some that are banned until 2032... and yes, i'm aware that i should limit it to like 3 years or something). anonymous commenters can also only make 3 comments in 10 minutes.

i'm aware that it's not foolproof, but it REALLY cuts down on spam. i get a ton of traffic, but only a few spam comments a week.
vermaden
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djlosch wrote:
my blog just uses domain blacklisting. whenever i flag a message as spam, all domains listed in that message are permanently banned (and the message is removed). no messages can be posted using domains on the blacklist. and any time someone tries to post those addresses, the duration on the ban extends further (i have some that are banned until 2032... and yes, i'm aware that i should limit it to like 3 years or something). anonymous commenters can also only make 3 comments in 10 minutes.

i'm aware that it's not foolproof, but it REALLY cuts down on spam. i get a ton of traffic, but only a few spam comments a week.

Thanks for suggestions, (re)CAPTCHA is just one of the utils to prevent spam, here is more complete list:
http://daemonforums.org/showthread.php?t=100
Carpetsmoker
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just the spam, the BSDForums administrator seems to have lost interest in the whole thing, we have emailed, faxed, and phoned him and IF he responded he said would fix things within a week.
Months later not even the slightest change, so he has proven to be untrustworthy too.
So how long will he keep the forums online? His dedication to the forums seems to be very low, and he has hinted that he's not planning to pay for it forever (Who would), and since he does not seem to be the best communicator the forums could just go offline tomorrow without any of users knowing about it.

Quote:

It does defeat spam, it's just not 100% foolproof, and the forum software was seriously outdated (And so was the CAPTCHA generation code) so this didn't help things either.
square_
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now you only need to get the domain name.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: