Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[NEWS] 2008.0_beta2 released
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dberkholz
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: [NEWS] 2008.0_beta2 released Reply with quote

This forums thread is for discussion of the www.gentoo.org posting, "2008.0_beta2 released." Post your comments and suggestions here.
Quote:
2008.0_beta2 is here. Thanks to you, our community, for testing beta1 and filing many bugs. You can help make 2008.0 amazing! Test out this beta and report any functionality issues you encounter. Since this is still a beta, we're looking only for bugs in functionality, not bugs in appearance such as desktop backgrounds or other artwork.

This should be the last beta and will be followed by the final 2008.0 release after further bug fixing.

Get 2008.0_beta2 from the usual places.
robbat2
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Torrents Reply with quote

For those using BitTorrent, having some seeders on the DVD media would be greatly appreciated.
http://torrents.gentoo.org/

P.S. The final release will have every CD and stage on BitTorrent again.
tatotato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was SO quick.
sPHERE911
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great!:)

EDIT: The LiveCD image is over 800mb, why's that? I mean, there's already a LiveDVD iso.
Eckos
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too bad virtualbox won't emerge so I can test it
kingLatency
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sPHERE911 wrote:
EDIT: The LiveCD image is over 800mb, why's that? I mean, there's already a LiveDVD iso.

Yeah, I don't get this. How is this going to fit on a CD?
tatotato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EH!?!

Over 800MB the liveCD is!
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction: only the x86 LiveCD's size appears to be over 800MB. The other arches are 700MB or less. Not sure why this is; I'll ask around.
tatotato
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou kindly :)

That's a pretty big screw-up :D
RCGodward
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we're already running the beta do we need to do anything other than sync portage? My understanding is that this should update the profile and take care of everything, but I'd like to make sure.
akam
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi! if i will install beta2 on my new "server" can i'll update it to realease, when it realesed?
PS. sorry for my english
aliquid
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

akam wrote:
hi! if i will install beta2 on my new "server" can i'll update it to realease, when it realesed?
PS. sorry for my english

There is no point in upgrading Gentoo to the next LiveCd release after you have one installed. Or did I miss something?
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCGodward wrote:
If we're already running the beta do we need to do anything other than sync portage? My understanding is that this should update the profile and take care of everything, but I'd like to make sure.

You don't even need to sync again until your next scheduled sync, a.k.a. "whenever you feel like it."

Remember, the packages on the CDs and stages are the same stable packages available in Portage, possible a week or two old. The only thing that's actually "beta" is the installation media; new releases are made solely to give new installs a relatively recent starting point compared to the latest available packages.

Also, your profile is not updated until you updated it yourself. You can update your profile anytime you like, if you're not running the latest one. If your profile becomes marked "deprecated", Portage will alert you to upgrade to a supported profile. Please read our Gentoo Upgrading Guide to learn more about profiles, how to switch, and when to switch.
gionnico
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I post this bug here, to give it more visibility, since it seems a rare bug. :? 8O

Any amd64 iso of 2008.0_beta1 or 2008.0_beta2 don't let me boot with any kernel parameter.

It locks up just after pressing enter at the grub prompt.
http://www.forzazzurri.mine.nu/data/uploaded/g2008.0_beta2_after_grub_error.jpeg
http://www.forzazzurri.mine.nu/data/uploaded/g2008.0_beta2_after_grub_error.mov

:roll: :(
adewolf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the AMD-64 install-live DVD last night for my Hp TX1410US (AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-64(2.20GHz), 2GB RAM, 250GB SATA, 12" touch screen, Nvidia GO 6150 with 128MB shared VRAM, Nvidia MCP51 sound, Broadcom 4328 802.11a/b/g/n wireless, Nvidia MPC51 ethernet). The live DVD boots and runs fine, it finds everything except the wireless BCM 4328, which I expected. I ran the graphic installer after partitioning the SATA drive (4 GB swap, 200MB ext2 /boot, the remainder reiserfs /) it fails:
"exception received during 'Umpack stage tarball'; CopyPackageToChrootError :FATAL: copy_pkg_to_chroot: Could not execute pkg_setup for"

What is the manual way to install?

Thanks
Alex
C1REX
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is small mistake in handbook.

"portage-latest.tar.bz2" suposed to be replaced by "portage-2008.0_beta2.tar.bz2"

If you like Gentoo you can thank devs here - https://www.gentoo.org/donate/
cholzsc1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="adewolf"]I got the AMD-64 install-live DVD last night for my Hp TX1410US (AMD Turion 64 X2 TL-64(2.20GHz), 2GB RAM, 250GB SATA, 12" touch screen, Nvidia GO 6150 with 128MB shared VRAM, Nvidia MCP51 sound, Broadcom 4328 802.11a/b/g/n wireless, Nvidia MPC51 ethernet). The live DVD boots and runs fine, it finds everything except the wireless BCM 4328, which I expected. I ran the graphic installer after partitioning the SATA drive (4 GB swap, 200MB ext2 /boot, the remainder reiserfs /) it fails:
"exception received during 'Umpack stage tarball'; CopyPackageToChrootError :FATAL: copy_pkg_to_chroot: Could not execute pkg_setup for"

I have the same error question is do you guys NOT TEST betas before you release them .... especially installers that wont install just die in first 10 mins .. or just write code for installer and hope it workx ? Anyways im just glad i know how to do manually cause using installer sux to many errors my feeling if you cant follow handbook dont use gentoo ...and gentoo should not offer installers cause theyre #@$@ and generic defeating purpose of compiled for machine i can say this cause i tried 2007 final as well and its same thing error after error .Final thought luv gentoo hate installers big waste of time.Sad thing is ill probably continue to test them so we can get more linux users cause I HATE WINBLOWS and what they stand for.

Sorry for rant .... I had to I wasted 2hrs dling forgive me :}
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C1REX wrote:
There is small mistake in handbook.

"portage-latest.tar.bz2" suposed to be replaced by "portage-2008.0_beta2.tar.bz2"

Wrong. portage-latest is the latest snapshot. It's a symlink, so that you don't have to worry about typing in the date or figuring out the latest date.
GNUix
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has there been an update to the profile? (from beta1 to beta2) If so what were the changes?
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cholzsc1 wrote:

I have the same error question is do you guys NOT TEST betas before you release them .... especially installers that wont install just die in first 10 mins .. or just write code for installer and hope it workx ? Anyways im just glad i know how to do manually cause using installer sux to many errors my feeling if you cant follow handbook dont use gentoo ...and gentoo should not offer installers cause theyre #@$@ and generic defeating purpose of compiled for machine i can say this cause i tried 2007 final as well and its same thing error after error .Final thought luv gentoo hate installers big waste of time.Sad thing is ill probably continue to test them so we can get more linux users cause I HATE WINBLOWS and what they stand for.

Sorry for rant .... I had to I wasted 2hrs dling forgive me :}

cholzsc1, your rants are not welcome here. If you want to get help to yourself, or if you want to help improving gentoo, then this is the right place to post. However, saying that the installer sux and not providing information on how improve it is completely uncalled for.

If you insist ranting around here, you'll get banned.
blandoon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ C1REX: I think the latest portage snapshot should work fine in all cases - there's no need to download a specific one just because you are using the 2008.0 LiveCD (as far as I know - someone please correct me if I'm wrong).

edit: yeah, nightmorph said essentially the same thing in a different way.

Last edited by blandoon on Thu May 01, 2008 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
danomac
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightmorph wrote:
Correction: only the x86 LiveCD's size appears to be over 800MB. The other arches are 700MB or less. Not sure why this is; I'll ask around.

nightmorph: Did you find out the reason why? I'm on a Windows workstation here at work and it refuses to burn that ISO. I'm getting the minimal CD now. I wish I could use bittorrent here... firewall blocks everything.

Edit: Turns out there is 800MB CDRs out there somewhere. No computer store around me has them for sale, not even available in their warehouses. There's an online store, but I don't want to spend $50 for 100 of these CDs when I only need one. I guess the livecd is just not an option for me anymore. :(
blandoon
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have done in the past is to start with the minimal CD ISO, download the latest portage snapshot and appropriate stage file, and add them to the ISO (either by mounting in Linux, or using something like MagicISO in Windows).
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danomac wrote:
nightmorph wrote:

nightmorph: Did you find out the reason why?

Nope, but I went ahead and filed bug 219803. Releng is aware of it and working on it.
gerard27
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I just d/led livecd2008 beta2-r1 which is the right size for 700 MB disks.
I also did the livedvd both for x86.
No internet on either see bug # 219874.
Gerard.
http://www.sysresccd.org/Download
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: