Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
g/fbsd help with partitions CHS LBA conversion stuff.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
otisranson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: g/fbsd help with partitions CHS LBA conversion stuff. Reply with quote

I'm having trouble with the g/fbsd install because says my drive geometry is not correct so it defaults to another setting.

I have a seagate momentus 7200.1 200gb hd in my laptop. Model ST9200420ASG

http://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/manuals/notebook/momentus/7200.2/100451238d.pdf

or
http://209.85.207.104/search?q=cache:G3sglUUgioEJ:www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/disc/manuals/notebook/momentus/7200.2/100451238d.pdf+ST9200420ASG+geometry&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=2&gl=us

is the manual. Now, the manual says 16383/16/63 cylinders/heads/sectors but that is just not enough. I read some more in there and gives me LBA value of 390,721,968. I need to convert it to C/H/S

Found this site: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CHS_conversion It explains how to convert from LBA, but I don't have all of the information. Could anyone offer any advice? I'm doing a dual boot with windows on the first 3/4 of the drive.

Also is it possible to install grub as the boot manager?

Thanks I'm looking for the CHS values. My closest guess is 387621/16/63. This is a brand new laptop, don't want to screw the hard drive up physically, is that even possible by inputting the wrong values?. I don't care if it takes me a few times to reformat.

Thanks guys!
cyrillic
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, all modern BIOSes expect the partition table to be setup for 255 heads (not 16). If the BIOS, the partition table, and the bootloader don't all agree on the harddrive geometry, then you may have difficulty booting.

Can you post your current partition info ?
Mine looks like this :
Code:
# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 500.1 GB, 500106780160 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xb0a5cec5

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1               1        3891    31254426   fd  Linux raid autodetect
/dev/sda2            3892       60801   457129575   83  Linux

otisranson wrote:
Also is it possible to install grub as the boot manager?

Yes, although I don't know if grub can boot the FBSD kernel directly. You may need to chainload the FBSD bootloader (same as booting Windows).
otisranson
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my disk partitioning stuff, it's really a loss of hard drive space, but honestly, not really worried about it. I booted up with a GParted LiveCD and saw that there was an extra partition on there that Windows XP had created. 30GB file system and 6GB swap space is absolutely plenty for what I'm going to be using g/fbsd for.

Got grub installed and dual booted with Windows XP / G/FBSD followed the G/FBSD install guide for the most part and looked at the handbook for the grub config stuff. Thanks for the reply and help though! :D
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Gentoo on Alternative Architectures.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: