2008 beta 1 stability
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgraham
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: 2008 beta 1 stability Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've been running Gentoo at work (one of the 2007 profiles) for a while now and would like to install it on my laptop at home. It's an acer aspire with an AMD 64 Mobile processor. My questions are:

How stable is the new profile? Am I better off sticking with an older version? I'm not afraid troubleshooting but would rather avoid running into any known show stoppers for my hardware halfway through installation.

Wireless. How hard is it really? Are there any good guides anyone recommends?

My apologies if I sound like a complete noob. I had my hand held for the installation at work and some of the gentoo vocabulary is still a little unclear for me.
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2008.0_beta is stable for me, no difference in stability is noticable compared to 2007.0. 2008.0 still uses the same portage with it's same programs. So you can still run a stable system with an unstable profile. 2008.0 is probably going to be stable within a few weeks so for a fresh install it's definately the way to go for a fresh install.
If you are using eix you'd have to unmask >=eix-0.12.4 because older versions do not work well enough for the new profile.
pgraham
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply and the info,

I read alot of posts from people speculating about the new release and the quality of gentoo but it didn't sound to me like any of them had actually used it. It's nice to hear that it works for somebody.

One question: is eix hardmasked or ~keyworded?
MalleRIM
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its just ~keyworded and works fine ;)
you can even use stable eix but it will display you all packages as masked by * or ~* so you don't have full functionality. For example Updates are not correctly shown after eix-sync.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: