System freezes when emerging/compiling
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nico--
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: System freezes when emerging/compiling Reply with quote

After emerging glibc-2.3.2-r1 all the programs seem to run fine except for gcc which causes the system to freeze.

If i downgrade glibc most programs complain about missing libraries, but gcc works fine again... any ideas?

This _could_ be a hardware problem but the freezing only happens with glibc 2.3.2.
mrljt
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this problem to with the recent upgrade to gcc and glibc. I then read somewhere on here that the safest way to upgrade gcc and glibc is to do it in this order: glibc, binutils, gcc-config, gcc, glibc. Notice how you compile glibc again after gcc. After I compiled in that order, I no longer had freezes while compiling other things.
nico--
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I upgraded following those steps chrooting into my system from the rescue cd... i then emerged several different packages and things seemed to work fine.

I rebooted and logged into the system the normal way and again the computer would freeze when emerging something.

Now, i was able to do things fine with the rescue disk so im guessing the swap, filesystems, memory and cpu are fine. Previous version of glibc worked fine and the current version of glibc works fine if i log in from the cd.

So i'm wondering if the problem may be caused by any of the things that get loaded when i boot having problems with glibc/gcc
ErikT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Me too (maybe) Reply with quote

Hmm.

I have (maybe) the same problem. As the new gcc, glibc and binutils were marked stable earlier this week, I have tried to do a emerge -u world.

It starts to compile binutils and after a while it either gets an error (segmentation fault, I think...) or a kernel panic and freeze(!).

I have tried to emerge gcc first. Or glibc first (which doesn't work as it has to get the new binutils first anyway...). And everything else I can think of. The result is always the same: either freeze or compile error.

The machine has been running smoothly for more than 6 months before and I don't think this is a hardware related problem. Otherwise the first thing I would suspect, when getting weird results when compiling, would be the memory.

I have used linux since 1995 and the number of kernel panics I've seen is probably below 10, so this is very weird for me and also very serious as this machine is servering a lot of people.

Suggestions? Tips?

/Erik

--
"It's not rock'n'roll, but I like it."
-- Ed Harcourt
nico--
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem seems to have been fixed after recompiling the kernel (upgrading from 2.4.20-r2 to 2.4.20-r5, although i don't think that was necessary). You can probably update your binutils and recompile the kernel by using the rescue disk like i did.
ErikT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:37 pm    Post subject: Hot town. Summer in the city. Reply with quote

Hmm. My mysterious problem seems to be solved. It's not hardware OR gentoo related at all. It's the weather here in Stockholm.

The heat (more than 30 degrees centigrade for many days in a row) makes the computers annoyed and angry...

/Erik

--
<http://erik.tjernlund.net/webblogg/>
cbx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: libgthread related? Reply with quote

Even more strange. I'm (or rather -was) having the same problem on one of two identical machines (hardware, that is).

After quite some up- mand downgrading as well as reemerging things, I tracked the cause it down to the <libgthread*> libraries in /usr/lib.

As soon as I scp'ed these files from the working machine to the other one (which is my work box...), the freezes disappeared.

Now one question remains for me: why did the modules on the other machine work, and the ones on my box not? Furthermore: it seems as if a glibc-rebuild doesn't update these files.

Can that be true? Any ideas?
cbx
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:57 pm    Post subject: System freeze update Reply with quote

Hi again and thanks for the feedback :D

Finally the problem has turned out to be hardware related. By trying various configurations I could make the freezes almost as unlikely as I wanted, but I could not get completely rid of them. Even booting from the LiveCD would did not help to reliably build my own mozilla (good benchmark...)

Now I swapped the harddrives between my 2 identical boxes and the problem stuck with the box.

I don't have the slightest idea, what might be the difference, but that's what I believe to be the final result of my investigations. Maybe computers are really more like women - fascinating but impossible to understand?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: