unstable system? change your kernel!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pierric
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:31 pm    Post subject: unstable system? change your kernel! Reply with quote

Hi,

I like Gentoo and its concept. I was agreably surprised as I saw Mozilla making anti-aliasing for the first time, as well as gabber now supporting special characters, which didn't work with the slackware packages.
But my system so often crashed! While trying mplayer with a DivX, it would crash the X server (4.2.0) with more than 50% probability. Sometimes, while just playing mp3s, the complete system would hang on... I thought it was X-related. And it's well possible that it also does something, because I still get some X crashes sometimes while trying "funny things". But anyway:
I switched from the 2.4.19-gentoo kernel back to the 2.4.18 "vanilla", and compiled with the same config. And now it's almost perfectly stable again!
For information, my system: Athlon XP, Nvidia TNT2, 256MB DDR, ext3fs, XFree 4.2
reverius42
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: unstable system? change your kernel! Reply with quote

pierric wrote:
Hi,

I like Gentoo and its concept. I was agreably surprised as I saw Mozilla making anti-aliasing for the first time, as well as gabber now supporting special characters, which didn't work with the slackware packages.
But my system so often crashed! While trying mplayer with a DivX, it would crash the X server (4.2.0) with more than 50% probability. Sometimes, while just playing mp3s, the complete system would hang on... I thought it was X-related. And it's well possible that it also does something, because I still get some X crashes sometimes while trying "funny things". But anyway:
I switched from the 2.4.19-gentoo kernel back to the 2.4.18 "vanilla", and compiled with the same config. And now it's almost perfectly stable again!
For information, my system: Athlon XP, Nvidia TNT2, 256MB DDR, ext3fs, XFree 4.2

By any chance, did you use the pre-emptive or realtime options in the Gentoo kernel? They're what makes it special! And by special, I mean unstable as hell. Especially using XFS. I'm surprised you're using ext3... I haven't heard of any problems with ext3 and the Gentoo kernel.
dioxmat
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

note that you can have mozilla aa without gentoo patches :)
this is how mozilla mailnews look on my lfs box... :)
debian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: unstable system? change your kernel! Reply with quote

pierric wrote:

Actually, if you found gentoo-r7-source unsuitable to you, you may consider trying mjc-rc1 source(emerge -s source). It not only solves some of the compilation problems I encountered, it runs faster and smoother. (note: just a surjective first-personal experience. :) )

Besides, it's an optimizied kernel source like gentoo's, so before you try vanilla, why not try it first. (fyi, I run dual athlon-mp)

One more thing, it may not apply to your situation, but I found that the instability sometime due to hardware problem. Open your box to see the arrangement inside. Once we opened a box of an infamous unstable server at work and we found that the small heatsink glued on the mobo chip falled off. It might due to mishandling or air pressure in flight. Nevertheless, the system runs very stable when we glued it back.

Check the fans, small heatsinks(display card has one or two, too) and the big heatsinks on your CPU. They might account for the instability
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: