Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
USB Problems, or, I N33D THA POWAH!!!!11111111!!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VeryWeary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:04 pm    Post subject: USB Problems, or, I N33D THA POWAH!!!!11111111!!!! Reply with quote

I have a problem with my USB Wacom. It's all configured an it works correctly, the problem is it doesn't get power about 95 percent of the time when it boots. I have OHCI USB ports, my kernel is fine, my wacom drivers are fine, my XConfig is fine, my USB mouse, keyboard, and scanner always work fine, everything, as far as I can see, is fine, because when the tablet does get power it works perfectly. If I unplug the tablet and plug it back in I can see it get detected in dmesg, and the wacom driver gets control, but the light doesn't come on. Can anyone please help me figure this out?
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VeryWeary,

Is it a USB powered device?
Run usbview and check out the 'maxpower needed' entry for the tablet.

Tot up all the 'maxpower needed' entries for all devices on the same USB port. Include everything on non-powered hubs if there are any, between the PC and the tablet. If this comes close to or exceeds 500mA, thats your problem. You are only allowed 500mA for all devices that need USB power.

Spread things over more USB ports on the PC or invest in a powered hub, becase that can suppy 500mA to each port. Thats why its powered.

Regards,

NeddySeagoon

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
VeryWeary
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip, my total for all devices according to USB view is just 340mA or maybe 440mA, I'm not sure. The keyboard has a port on it that my mouse gets hooked into, so usbview show the keyboard hub, then the keyboard itself anf the mouse underneath it. Any ideas?

I've tried rebooting with just the tablet and mouse, just the tablet and keyboard, and just the tablet. It just doesn't work.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: