Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sosoy77 wrote:
thanx man,you wryly help t.I just erased all kde-base/kde-i18n packages,one by one and now i hit it ''# emerge --update --newuse --deep world'' and now it's working,but i must ask this,how much i have to work to have a pure gentoo?What else i have to check.But steal want to install gentoo whit minimal cd x64.

If emerge -puDvN world reports nothing, and you have erased your overlay and check that your make.conf is sane, then I would say you are already on Gentoo. Of course I can't be completely sure. I never made the transformation myself, and I can't be sure that there's not any leftover from your sabayon installation.
mjf55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with i92guboj. You are creating problems that will take a lot of effort from you, the Gentoo community and the Sabayon community to understand / resolve the issues. I have used Sabayon for about 1 year because of their easy installation. I finally bit the bullet and learned to installed Gentoo. That was a good move. Anyway, Sabayon is a Gentoo derivative with the following:

-It uses an overlay for the Sabayon unique packages. This has been discussed.
    -It uses Sabayon sources for the kernel. This has not been discussed.
    -It uses unstable packages by default (unless you use the professional (PE) edition). ~x86 or ~amd64 is in make.conf by default. This has be partially discussed by have to 'down level' packages. Baselayout2 is a major backage that is now problbly installed, but caused my system to blowup when I attempted to downlevel.

So, I believe it is possible to switch, I think it is way to much effort.
My advice...... Install Gentoo from the beginning, use the manual install, read AND FOLLOW the documentation, use genkernel to start ( that is what Sabayon uses). I bet you can have a new Gentoo install running before you can migrate from Sabayon to Gentoo
neiljw
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loftwyr wrote:
1. Sabayon uses Gentoo's portage cache, just adds an overlay. Their toolchain is the same as Gentoo's.
2. No. See point 1.
3. That's what the emerge -auDvN and --depclean is for. Add a revdep-rebuild if necessary.
4. Nope, they use Gentoo's.

In otherwords, changing to Gentoo is easy.

All I can say is you've never actually tried it. Sabayon is a mess. Even "emerge -uavD" doesn't work without problems on a fresh Sabayon install. Just take a look at the files in /etc/portage and their contents and the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS entry in /etc/make.conf. It makes the whole concept of profiles meaningless. It would take a very experienced person DAYS to sort out all the blockers and failed emerges. Yes, I have done it -several times - and I often wonder why. Just don't like to admit defeat I guess. ;)

It is far, far quicker and easier to install Gentoo from scratch.

Neil
wolfden
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

neiljw wrote:
loftwyr wrote:
1. Sabayon uses Gentoo's portage cache, just adds an overlay. Their toolchain is the same as Gentoo's.
2. No. See point 1.
3. That's what the emerge -auDvN and --depclean is for. Add a revdep-rebuild if necessary.

All I can say is you've never actually tried it. Sabayon is a mess. Even "emerge -uavD" doesn't work without problems on a fresh Sabayon install. Just take a look at the files in /etc/portage and their contents and the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS entry in /etc/make.conf. It makes the whole concept of profiles meaningless. It would take a very experienced person DAYS to sort out all the blockers and failed emerges. Yes, I have done it -several times - and I often wonder why. Just don't like to admit defeat I guess. ;)

It all depends when u do it. If you get the release when it is released right away, a world update is a piece of cake. Doing a world update right now on 3.4f is a nightmare as it's packages are from last fall. Major changes in portage have happened since than. It can still be done, but people new to the gentoo concept are not going to get it.
sosoy77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: i just installed gentoo Reply with quote

but i have a problem some ware in bootloader conf i guess,i have done a mistake,cause after bootloader loads and i pres enter for gentoo i got this msg "! Block device /dev/hda3 is not a valid root device... ! The root block device is unspecified or not detected. Please specify a device to boot,or "shell" for shell. boot() :: " what can i do ,please help this is the second time when i install gentoo,first one was error 11 grub loading or some thing like.
SHINODATT
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfden wrote:
neiljw wrote:
loftwyr wrote:
2. No. See point 1.

It all depends when u do it. If you get the release when it is released right away, a world update is a piece of cake. Doing a world update right now on 3.4f is a nightmare as it's packages are from last fall. Major changes in portage have happened since than. It can still be done, but people new to the gentoo concept are not going to get it.

I'm dealing with this for a customer right now!

He installed Linux for the first time last week, and I had him use Sabayon for the "out of the box" eye candy. Well, trying to use Portage with Sabayon was a NIGHTMARE, and with all the blockers and the like, it was just a horrid mess.

SO, I removed the overlay, brought it back to x86 from ~x86 and have been ssh'd into it for a few days now trying to clean it up. It's been a long and grueling process but, as mentioned above, it IS doable........ Just a huge PITA.
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sosoy77 wrote:
ok but where to find a live cd to work in my pc:motherboard ASUS M2N-E: NForce 570 Ultra Sk AM2 ;proc AMD Athlon64 X2 6400+ AM2 WOF;video Forsa 8500GT 512MB FSXFX8500GTDDR2/512/128;memory Kingston ValueRAM DDR2 2x1GB 667 MHz and hdd 250 s-ata .because i try whit cd and dvd from gentoo.org i mean this amd64 and x86 live,whit minimal i didn't make it.can u help?

I recently had a similar problem. I used Sabayon as a live CD and followed the gentoo guide.

sosoy77 wrote:
but i have a problem some ware in bootloader conf i guess,i have done a mistake,cause after bootloader loads and i pres enter for gentoo i got this msg "! Block device /dev/hda3 is not a valid root device... ! The root block device is unspecified or not detected. Please specify a device to boot,or "shell" for shell. boot() :: " what can i do ,please help this is the second time when i install gentoo,first one was error 11 grub loading or some thing like.

I am not sure if this could be related. My system is:

Code:
# lspci
00:05.0 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] [b]SATA[/b] Controller / IDE mode (rev 03)

My /etc/fstab:

Code:
/dev/sda1       /boot           ext2    noauto,noatime  1 2
/dev/sda3       /               ext3    noatime         0 1
/dev/sda2       none            swap    sw              0 0

I have the following line in /boot/grub/menu.lst (I call my kernel 'gentoo' instead of 'bzImage'):
Code:
kernel (hd0,0)/gentoo root=/dev/sda3
Shiznitz
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently installed Sabayon to check out what it's all about. My original thinking was that if it was stable and good I'd just update packages the way I was supposed to through it and enjoy. Immediately, I had problems updating my portage (blocks, bad libraries, etc. etc.). Sabayon's CFLAGS are not horribly crazy:

Code:
CFLAGS="-Os -march=x86-64 -pipe"

However the USE flags for it make it very hard for me to figure out wtf is going on (being a beginning user):

Code:
USE="libwww curl mp3 divx4linux dvb dvd dvdread live mpeg jpeg truetype v4l v4l2 xv xvid \
multilib gnutls arts cups ppds foomatic-db alsa gimpprint freetype X gtk2 \
unicode moznocompose moznoirc moznomail kde qt samba xinerama xine theora \
kdeenablefinal wifi hal ieee1394 oggvorbis lm_sensors logitech-mouse \
zeroconf artswrappersuid jack nptl nptlonly rdesktop dvdr css gphoto2 openexr pcmcia \
speex jpeg2k povray scanner musicbrainz accessibility audiofile \
exif xscreensaver ffmpeg vcd sndfile musepack asterisk pam_chroot pam_timestamp \
pwdb gnokii pda sms bluetooth irda kig-scripting speedo browserplugin nsplugin ldap \
kerberos firefox dga aac dts xvmc dbus hal dvi on-the-fly-crypt dri xprint acpi \
symlink ada ruby perforce cjk fat hfs jfs ntfs xfs reiserfs \
joystick skins cdda real shout stream a52 wxwindows vlm lirc libcaca remote \
stats lcd unichrome 7zip commercial mozsvg canvas xml2 glut java gcj glitz \
svg avahi ogg vorbis aalib flac gdbm mikmod kdgraphics dlloader exscalibar ipod visualization \
cdr nntp cairo djvu pdf xml ladspa soundtouch \
bzip2 udev mad fuse rtsp tiff kdehiddenvisibility dvi usb kipi aiglx musicbrainz 3dfx pulseaudio \
x264 dv lame mp3rtp udev cdr dvi djvu libnotify bzip2 aalib startup-notification nsplugin jingle \
gsm dbox2 cddb -gnome -evo -eds -mono -beagle -esd opengl sdl png gif gtk qt3 qt4 qt3support kickoff xcb tracker"

Not only that but Sabayon by default uses ACEEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch" (in my case it's amd64). So not only does Sabayon have problems dealing with portage out of the box, it also helps you get screwed over by building an unstable system!

My original thinking was, if I can get Sabayon working and be able to customize it and update it I'd have a customized version of Gentoo running where compiz-fusion and all my multimedia worked (btw this doesn't happen when you have 3 sound devices on your system). I'm going to remove Sabayon and start from scratch with Gentoo, trying compiz-fusion myself and getting rid of kernel built alsa and this god awful genkernel. It seems like more of a headache to get Sabayon to work as intended than it is to install Gentoo from scratch.

Shiznitz
LXj
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

neiljw wrote:
All I can say is you've never actually tried it. Sabayon is a mess. Even "emerge -uavD" doesn't work without problems on a fresh Sabayon install. Just take a look at the files in /etc/portage and their contents and the ACCEPT_KEYWORDS entry in /etc/make.conf.
Well, I actually did it. It's all a matter of usual Gentoo knowledge: "emerge -uavD" will bring trouble for any Gentoo installation which is not updated for several months and has a lot of packages (and latest stable Sabayon release is several months old); all this stuff in /etc/portage and make.conf can be dealt with on-the-fly, just look carefully at emerge -av and act accordingly (you should always do it anyway). Using euse and converting /etc/portage files to directories helps

All the problems with upgrading are actually covered in Sabayon forums and wiki. The problem is, Sabayon attcracts Ubuntu target auditory: they don't have basical Gentoo knowledge, they don't read forums or wiki, they have no idea what they are doing (actually initially I ignored Sabayon forums too, and that was very stupid)

If you spend some time on #sabayon, you will see many of this kind of users. But actually many people on #sabayon are more helpful than any of 1000 #gentoo participants. Guys from #sabayon saved me 2 or 3 times from reinstalling the whole OS, and in one of these cases the problem was solved in a matter of seconds by running one of Sabayon-specific utils

So basically you start to convert from Sabayon to Gentoo as soon as you start using emerge (unless you use equo or Sabayon installation DVD to upgrade your system), and you can go with it as far as you want. As for me, I am going to keep Sabayon overlay, Sabayon artwork and Sabayon's sources (this bootsplash looks kick-ass!). But I heavily modified my make.conf after installation, and I removed a lot of stuff I don't need (yesterday I dared to run emerge --depclean, and it removed ~250 packages, freeing ~500Mb. And the system is still alive!)

And by the way, the best way to go from ~arch to arch is suggested there: http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Switch_from_Test_to_Stable_Packages
echo6
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LXj wrote:
So basically you start to convert from Sabayon to Gentoo as soon as you start using emerge
I would agree with all the comments in this thread. I often use Sabayon for a quick and "dirty" install. Over a period of time I remove things I don't need and add things that I do. When i get time I recompile the kernel stripping out most of the rubbish the box doesn't need.

Ideally you really need to read and digest Gentoo documentation relevant to you but also get to grips with the portage system.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: