On boot: GRUB GRUB GRUB...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandomCoil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: On boot: GRUB GRUB GRUB... Reply with quote

I just finished a stage 1 install on the second harddrive in a 2 hd system. The installation was pretty much "by the book", except 'hdb' replaced 'hda' in all instances. I've entered into menu.lst one option:

title=Gentoo
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hdb3

Upon booting (with the bios set to boot off of hd1 [aka hdb] first) I get page after page of:

GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB ...

I can boot off of the install cd and then with 'Kernel /boot/bzImage root=/dev/hdb3" get into the system.

I've also tried booting with menu.lst as above except with "title Gentoo" with no "=". Any suggestions? For reference, the system is a Duron 750 on a KT133A board, 512MB, two HDs on IDE channel 1, one CDROM on channel 2, Gentoo is installed on a 30GB IBM 75GXP drive (yes, it's an RMA replacement for one that failed after 6 months...).

Suggestions appreciated. If more info would be helpful let me know.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: On boot: GRUB GRUB GRUB... Reply with quote

RandomCoil wrote:
Upon booting (with the bios set to boot off of hd1 [aka hdb] first) I get page after page of:

GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB GRUB ...

Total stab in the dark, but does your BIOS support LBA mode? (unless it's a really old mobo, it probably does)

It sounds like GRUB is properly loaded in the MBR, but not able to hand off the boot process to the boot partition for one reason or another.

RandomCoil wrote:

two HDs on IDE channel 1, one CDROM on channel 2,

A bit OT, but you might get better performance on your system if you place one hard drive on each channel, rather than running them both off the same channel.

--kurt
RandomCoil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bios definitely supports LBA mode. It's only a little over a year old now.

Regarding the 2HDs on the same IDE channel, I wouldn't expect there to be a performance hit since I don't use both at the same time (one's Windows, one's Linux). I suppose there could be some DMA issues, but of course until I can get Gentoo to boot, it's kind of a moot point... :)
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomCoil wrote:
The bios definitely supports LBA mode. It's only a little over a year old now.

OK, so much for that idea. How about some others:

What file system is your /boot partition using? (If it's ReiserFS, did you use the notail option in /etc/fstab?)

Also, have you double-checked that your /boot partition really resides on /dev/hdb1?

Finally, you mention that it's a by-the-book install, but that you installed Gentoo on /dev/hdb. Where did you install the grub boot record?

--kurt
RandomCoil
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The /boot file system is EXT3 (/ is also EXT3)

My /boot partition does appear to be hdb1. I boot off the CD-ROM, log in, and execute:

mount /dev/hdb1 /boot

and then cd to /boot and find my grub files and bZimage file.

It is by the book except for the hdb install. For the grub setup portion of the install I used hd1,0 instead of hd0,0 (so grub should be on the MBR of the second drive, aka hdb, aka hd1, aka 'slave'). I then told the BIOS to boot off of hd1 (instead of hd0 or CDROM...). I'm assuming that worked since I do get some response from grub.

Any thoughts?
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RandomCoil wrote:
Any thoughts?

The only thing that looks odd is the installation of the boot loader in the MBR of the slave drive. It might be worth a shot installing grub in the MBR of the master drive and then booting from there. If you're worried about losing your Windows installation -- don't -- I dual-boot between the two OS'es all the time -- works great.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: