Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Porthole-0.6.0 FINAL now released. WooHoo!!!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Porthole-0.6.0 FINAL now released. WooHoo!!! Reply with quote

Oct. 27/2009
I finally have managed to get a -0.6.0 final release out. :D
There have been more bugfixes and a few small interface improvements, with the biggest being a reworked USE flag display in the Summary.
The new version should getting to the tree within a day or so.
for more details see the latter posts in this forum thread.

June 1/2009
I have released rc5 for final testing with all the bugfixes, and a few minor improvements. It should be getting to the tree soon. This latest version drops the pyxml dependency and the debug use flag which brought in pycrash which does not work in python-2.6 and 2.6 anyway. It is also slated for removal from the tree as well.

May 28/2009
Now looking for svn version testing as a pre--0.6.0_rc5 candidate. The biggist change is a re-written terminal queue with additional movement options and a clear feature to zap the queue empty. There have also been updates to maintain portage compatibility and some other small bugs that have shown themselves. It is compatible with python 2.4, 2.5, 2.6 and portage 2.1.x and 2.2.x

[update] I will not be able to complete the changes needed to be compatible with the sqlite portage backend for -0.6.0. It will require other changes that seem like the best method will be available in >=python-2.6.

[UPDATE] It seems that porthole is not yet compatible with the SQLite portage backend due to threading issues. I will attempt to resolve it before -0.6.0 final.

Porthole-0.6.0_rc4 released

Hopefully this will be the final release candidate. It has all bugs fixed to date. Unless any major bugs turn up, the final will be waiting on translation updates.
Code:
Changelog since -0.6.0_rc4

- fix an issue where --oneshot was not being added for dependency emerges
- fix small bug due to no need for an action_ callback in dependsview
- add an extra debug line to attempt to locate a possible bug in package.use flags commit.
- update portage imports for new portage-2.2 namespace changes.  Add a check and
  remove for add flags to remove leading '+' if it shows up.
- Updated help files and table of contents
- fix make.conf file handling with code from layman and extend it.  It should be close to
  layman compatible for full overlay support.
- added elog environment check and removal to stop duplicate messages in porthole since we already filter them.
- updates for portage-2.2 compatibility, re-vamp the whole portage interface to make easier resets without
  needing to re-Import portage.  Also needed to to it to fix an USE flag display bug where USE flags were
  not updating correctly after a change.
- fix use flags bug and update to new portagelib calls
- update to new portagelib calls and fix a bug causing a dead description loading dialog to appear
  after an emerge callback
- update to new portagelib calls and fix to prevent using a stale copy of World
- advanced emerge update to new portagelib calls and change to use the newer get_reduced_flags function
  to reduce code duplication and fix errors in use flags
   not updating correctly after saving changes.
- updates for new portagelib function call changes
- fix bad svn properties, uploading good files.
- apply a typo fix courtesy of FuzzyRay
- fix bugs that were not properly handling the package.* mods when they were a directory.
  Fixes for files of 0 lines non-comments.
- version bump, comment out a debug statement.
- fix an unknown error in a manifest entry preventing the ebuildtable_explained2.png from copying in
  sdist. removed props from some png's trying to fix it.

Porthole-0.6.0_rc3 released

This will be the final release candidate before -0.6.0 final. It incorporates the 2 plug-in modules, Etc-proposals and Profuse. If you have downloaded and installed the Etc-proposals plug-in, you will need to uninstall it as it is now included in porthole.
I am also looking for volunteers to update the translation files. Please post here if you are able to help.

Quote:
changes since -0.6.0_rc2

- change etc-proposals and profuse plug-in to auto-detect their target
commands and disable themselves when not found
- bundle profuse and etc-proposals plug-ins with porthole.
- add the plug-in gettext strings to portholes translation files.
- modify the plug-in dialog to display availability status of the plug-in.
- change pocompile.sh and dopot.sh to use /bin/bash. fixes x86-fbsd problem running pocompile.sh
- fix bug in get_sync_time() because it was looking for the wrong exception.
- check for running python version and disable pycrash if it is
python-2.5 since it does not work correctly in 2.5.
- merge 2 similar callback functions to eliminate code duplication.
Set packageview, summaryview and dependsview to use the new callback function.
- complete the right click menu in the new dependsview.
- add advanced emerge dialog option to all three rightclick menu's. Now use flags can be set
from any of the three views including any pop-up dependancy windows.
- add Italian translation
- fix small bug in dependsview when right-clicking on a line without a valid package to look up info for
- fix another dependsview bug to prevent a dep popup window when there is no valid package to display

Porthole-0.6.0_rc2 released

Changelog since -0.6.0_rc1 wrote:
bugfix: right click menu option to add ~arch to package.keywords file.
custom webbrowser choice was not python-2.5 compatible. fixed to work with both python-2.4 & 2.5.
updated help files with latest changes.
fixed a python-2.4 incompatible issue in a class definition.
re-worked the about dialog to dynamically load the AUTHORS file and license. Updated the AUTHORS file.
fix broken USE flag information displayed. Due to changes in portage, porthole was no longer getting all the info needed.
updated configuration.xml for additional error strings to watch for to correctly set the icon status for failed emerges.
fix an interface bug in the upgrades view causing the checkbox column to disappear at times.
fix several badly formed translatable strings.
updated messages.pot and current translation.po files with updated strings. <==Translation files require translation updates
a few setup.py changes for some of the above fixes.
fix dependencies view for slotted dependencies

Bugzilla entry

[update]

8O :D
I've just released porthole-0.6.0_rc1 and a new plug-in, porthole-etc-proposals. Download the ebuilds into your overlay and test them please. If all goes well I will submit them to b.g.o for inclusion into the tree along with a Profuse plug-in.

[/update]
Porthole-0.5.0 is getting more and more out of date with changes to portage and the portage tree. I have been too busy to be able to get everything needed, completed for a new release, but it is getting close. I am using this thread as a push to get it finished :) The CVS version is quite runnable/stable. Please try it out, let me know what you like/dislike, etc.

So...On to whats new.

Major Changes

Quote:
major slice and dice to porthole's code. Program files have been broken up into many smaller ones to allow for better code re-use. This has made porthole's initial memory requirements much smaller and the code speedier.

porthole's internal db now set up as an internal server. a new Descriptions db is now automatically generated and saved to disk in the background when a new portage tree update is detected. This means you now have very fast description searching like esearch/eix without having to wait, unless you've just done a sync and the db is not yet finished reloading. No it does not use esearch or eix's database. Both were not suitable for portholes data structure.

Category listings now have a new column showing the number of packages in each.

Upgrades view is now broken up into categories. That was initially done to get around the gtk+ bug that plagued -0.5.0 and got it hard masked. But I did have plans to change it eventually anyway. I have now broken thins up into {System, World, Dependencies}. I will very soon add "Sets" to the listing.

NEW Deprecated view to show you the ebuild versions and packages that you have installed that are no longer in the portage tree. porthole-0.5.0 did not handle installed packages that were no longer in the tree properly, so did not list them. I was suprised to find out just how many deprecated packages I still had installed in my system. They can cause revdep-rebuild to stall out because the ebuild is not found. There are ways to properly keep outdated packages/ebuild versions on your system. please see other threads in the forums for details if needed.

Multiple changes in the Summary view:
-- ebuild table new overlay column with Y/N, the tooltip for the column shows the overlay the ebuild is from.
-- ebuild versions are click-able to select the version to use for all other summary info and all other package info tabs.
-- some minor info/display bugs fixed
-- some right click menu changes.
-- NEW User Configs group. This shows any listings for that package that are found in any of the /etc/portage/package.* files.

-- Now handles /etc/portage/package.* files when used as a directory.

Multiple changes in the Dependecies view:
-- dependencies are now followed and shown much deeper.
-- virtuals now handled correctly (a portage dev contributed code, thank you)
-- NEW info columns added {Package, Installed, Recommended, Keywords} to help you check/set keyword status etc..
-- NEW dependencies are now dbl click-able to bring up a pop-up window of that packages details for checking/setting use flags/ keyword status etc.. (some menu options not yet coded)

NEW "Sets" view listing and functionality. This will add package sets functionality that can be used with portage without having to change your package manager to pkgcore or paludis. This will mean you can easily create your own package lists for custom gnome/kde installs, etc.. It is not quite functional, I need to do a little more coding still. Sets view listing and Upgrades view now working with sets. Version restrictions are mostly operational, but may require proper setting of package.mask/unmask if specific versions are required

Terminal:
-- NEW Pause, Play icons/menu options to operate the queue. The timer functionality is not yet coded.

BACKEND:

-- Beginning Support built-in to use pkgcore as an alternate package manager. This was started early last year before pkgcore was ready for use. A lot needs to be done, so If you know pkgcore code at all and would like to help. Please let me know

NEW Plug-in --- etc-proposals, a gtk alternative to etc-update or dispatch-config. Please see it's forum thread for it's ebuild https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-543876.html

NEW Plug-in --- Profuse plug-in, a multi frontend (porthole uses the gtk one) use flag editor.

The cvs version is not yet installable, but runs from a directory that it is checked out to without being installed.

go to our cvs page : http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=96324
and follow the instructions for an anonymous checkout.

The module name to check out is "trunk".

To run it, open a terminal
Code:
# cd trunk
# ./porthole -l -d ALL

To update your copy of the cvs
Code:
# cd trunk
# cvs update

I appreciate any feedback and bugs found especially if you are able to fix it as well :)

Keep in mind that not everything is coded for some of the new features, I hope to get that done very soon.

Known bugs/ incomplete coding
Quote:
-- Deprecated view, the check boxes --Fixed
-- The Sets view and Upgrades view version restrictions are not fully completed. That's right porthole will be able to handle package "sets" with portage when completed.
-- The terminal queue timer is not yet coded, so does nothing.

I know there are more, but I'm out of time now. I have to go to work.. :(

[edit] April 1, 2007 -- added more to changes, bugfixes
[edit] April 15, 2007 -- updated several items
......... -- add etc-proposals plug-in to the list
......... -- add updated Profuse plug-in to the list
[edit] Jan. 31, 2008 -- A long time in coming, but some minor updates to sets support and hopefully all important bugs are fixed.

Last edited by dol-sen on Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:26 am; edited 15 times in total
yoshi314
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, it's much faster now.

the bottom part of the window is always empty (the one with "Summary/Dependencies/Changelog etc). is that a bug or is it not implemented yet?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, it is, indeed, much faster and responsive.

Thanks for this wonderful application.

EDITed, removed silly question that's already answered in the changelog.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blank summary sounds like a bug. What is printed in the terminal? It sounds like maybe some code crashed that is not picked up by pycrash (if you have it installed).
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have committed several bugfixes last night/this morning. Nothing major.

Quote:
-- fixed incorrect save when setting the /etc/portage/package.* files

-- Deprecated & Sets views now will work with the "Upgrades" tool button to upgrade all those selected. Still need to make selected packages work with "Emerge" & "Unmerge" Functions for the Deprecated & Sets views.

--a little more code cleaning/converting to use dictionaries rather than a bunch of single use variables.

Has anyone tried the new Dependencies view? Do you like the added info? Have you tried dbl-clicking a dependency to bring up it's own window?

If you run into problems, please post some relevant debug info printed in the terminal you ran it from so I can figure out what might have gone wrong.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
I have committed several bugfixes last night/this morning. Nothing major.

Quote:
-- fixed incorrect save when setting the /etc/portage/package.* files

-- Deprecated & Sets views now will work with the "Upgrades" tool button to upgrade all those selected. Still need to make selected packages work with "Emerge" & "Unmerge" Functions for the Deprecated & Sets views.

--a little more code cleaning/converting to use dictionaries rather than a bunch of single use variables.

Has anyone tried the new Dependencies view? Do you like the added info? Have you tried dbl-clicking a dependency to bring up it's own window?

Yes, I noticed that feature, it's nice indeed, and very flexible. The bad side is that diving through the dependencies can be a bit of a mess if you open many of these windows, because you don't know too well how they are related unless you keep some order while opening deeper deps.

Quote:

If you run into problems, please post some relevant debug info printed in the terminal you ran it from so I can figure out what might have gone wrong.

So far I found nothing wrong, but I haven't used it for any other task than navigating and searching portage. So, I don't know about the other features.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the dependency pop-ups I put a limit of 1 per parent window. Also the title of each pop-up is the parent package name.

If you come up with a better way or improvement idea I am open to suggestions :)

Perhaps I could pass the entire dependency trail as the title? What do you think?
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
For the dependency pop-ups I put a limit of 1 per parent window. Also the title of each pop-up is the parent package name.

If you come up with a better way or improvement idea I am open to suggestions :)

I think that the current implementation is ok. If you double click another dep it is opened in the same window and that is fine, it helps to keep the inferface simple. And it is fast enough if you need to review another one, you can just put the two windows side by side.

Quote:

Perhaps I could pass the entire dependency trail as the title? What do you think?

Well, that can be ok for a couple of levels, but it would render the title info useless if you dive too deep in the tree, because only the two of three first packages of the trail would be viewable. Even more, I, for example, use a tittleless window style, so titles for me are useless most of the time hehe.

The current implementation shows the package name in all tabs, in one way or another, so that is not a concern, at least for me. But HOW we got to that package would remind the user of the starting point of the navigation through the deps tree. Maybe a simple tree view box above the tabs (kind of a heather, that you can see regardless of the tab you are on) could show this info better.

For example, if I click on the clamav package, I would get its deps on the deps tab, then I double click zlib so a window pops up, with all the tabs for zlib, above that tabs it could be shown something like:

Code:

sys-apps/sed (in big bold letters)
        needed by: clamav-0.90.1-r1

That would remind you how the thing started. Now, in the sed window you go to deps and double click, let's say, gettext. You would see above the tabs in the new window this:

Code:

sys-devel/gettext (in big bold letters)
        needed by sys-apps/sed
            needed by: clamav-0.90.1-r1

That's just an idea, there are much ways this interface could be designed, depending on how much windows will you allow. Another possibility is to keep it all inside one window (without taking into account how many depth levels you go thought), with a navigation tracker, that could be achieved the same way I described, and back/forward buttons. You could also reverse those trees and show the starting point in first place. Just ideas, if you like any of these then use it.

Thanks for bringing us porthole :)
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... I've been working on it and made some changes that should be better.

In the Dependency pop-up windows I have added a couple labels at the top to show what it is a dependency of. I have also removed using the title as the display line. I have added a tooltip that displays the dependency gragh of how you got there. The dependency trail sometimes gets screwed up when you open a bunch of pop-up windows, close them and open some more again, so I still need to do some more debugging.

Give that change a try and let me know if it is better.

Also, there are a few more bugs fixed:
Quote:
-- Dependency icon choice was not considering the /etc/portage/package.use flag settings.
-- removed redundant re-init of portage in the advanced emeerge dialog when saving changes to user configs.
-- fixed set_config again. This time I believe I have it fixed correctly.
-- move some code to backaends.utilities and its own function for code re-use.
-- some more variable names converted to use a dictionary form for grouping together -- makes cleaner code and variable passing between functions.

So, to update your copy of cvs...

in a terminal cd into the the trunk directory and cvs update.
Code:
# cd trunk
# cvs update

dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the pop-up dependency windows tracking the dependency trail that got you to that pop-up window working correctly now.

I have also just committed the first portion of the package "Sets" coding which produces the correct category and package views listings. The remainder of the coding is not yet implemented, so does not work for selecting all packages in the list for group emerge/unmerge/upgrade and observing version restrictions. If you would like to try out the Sets view listings. Create a /etc/portage/sets directory and put in a file containing a package list following package.mask/package.unmask creation rules for qualifying atoms (or copy one of those files if they exist).

Please try out the pop-up dependency windows and test them out for bugs and general interface hang-ups or possible improvements that could/should be made. I would like more feedback since I am the only developer currently working on the code.
unz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I broke porthole some months ago ... and i i'm still tryng to get it back.
Porthole starts but after reading the db it hangs :(
Code:
unz@gUnzLess ~/Progz/trunk $ ./porthole -l -d ALL
GTK Accessibility Module initialized
PORTHOLE: importing MainWindow
PORTAGE setting =  backends.portagelib
PORTAGELIB: portage version = 2.1.2.3
BACKENDS: portage_lib import complete : <module 'backends.portagelib' from '/home/unz/Progz/trunk/backends/portagelib.pyc'>
opt, arg  -l  <type 'str'>
opt, arg  -d ALL <type 'str'>
Debug printing is enabled
('Debug print filter set to ', 'ALL')
*** PYCRASH MODULE NOT FOUND ***
*** For best debug info Please emerge >= dev-python/pycrash-0.4pre3 ***
PORTHOLE: process id = 24071 ****************
MAINWINDOW: process id = 24071 ****************
DBREADER: read_db(); getting allnodes package list
DBREADER: read_db(); Done getting allnodes package list
DBREADER: read_db() create internal porthole list; length=11671
DBREADER: read_db(); Threading info: [<_MainThread(MainThread, started)>, <DatabaseReader(Thread-1, started daemon)>]
DBREADER: read_db(); deprecated entry = media-sound/mozilla-songbird-bin
DBREADER: read_db(); end of list build; count = 134 nodecount = 11500
DBREADER: read_db(); end of list build; final nodecount = 11634 categories = 149 sort is next
DBREADER: DatabaseReader.sort()
DBREADER: sort(); finished
DBREADER: read_db(); end of sort, finished
DBREADER: DatabaseReader.run(); finished
libglade: ['gnome-base/libglade-2.6.0']
MAINWINDOW: __init__(); glade file = porthole.glade
MAINWINDOW: Prefs.myarch = x86
DependsView: Depends view initialized
VIEWS: Category view initialized
VIEWS: Package view initialized
MAINWINDOW: init_data(); Initializing data
BACKENDS Utilities: get_sync_info();
BACKENDS Utilities: get_sync_info(); last_sync = Thu Apr 12 13:07:06 UTC 2007
MAINWINDOW: __init__(); is_root = False
TERMINAL: ProcessManager; process id = 24071 ****************
Porthole-Terminal
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); x = 0
PackageNotebook clear_notebook()
VIEWS: Populating category view;
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); reset package_view
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); init package_view
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); reselect category & package
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); reselect category & package (maybe)
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); last_view_setting Nonechanged: x = 0
MAIN: setup_plugins: plugin path: /home/unz/Progz/trunk/plugins/
MAINWINDOW: Showing main window
MAINWINDOW: on_window_state_event(); event detected
MAINWINDOW: on_window_state_event(); event detected
MAINWINDOW: setting menubar,toolbar,etc to sensitive...
MAINWINDOW: db_thread is done, reload_view()
MAINWINDOW: Made it thru a reload, returning...
DATABASE: db_update(); db_thread is done...
DATABASE: db_update(); db_thread.join...
DATABASE: db_update(); db_thread.join is done...
DATABASE: db_update(); db is updated
DATABASE: load() loading 'db' from file: /home/unz/.porthole/descriptions.db
DATABASE: load() file does not exist :/home/unz/.porthole/descriptions.db
READERS: DescriptionReader(); process id = 24071 *****************
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); x = 0
PackageNotebook clear_notebook()
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); reset package_view
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); init package_view
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); reselect category & package
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); reselect category & package (maybe)
MAINWINDOW: view_filter_changed(); last_view_setting 0changed: x = 0
PACKAGE; get_properties(): No ebuild found for x11-misc/gtkcairo!
!!! Name error in : missing a version or name part.
READERS: DescriptionReader(); No description for gtkcairo
READERS: DescriptionReader(); No description for gvpndialer
PACKAGE; get_properties(): No ebuild found for sys-auth/policykit!
READERS: DescriptionReader(); No description for policykit
READERS: DescriptionReader(); No description for xwinwrap
READERS: DescriptionReader(); Done

I'm on ~x86 and use beryl/xgl ... i can't understand where is the problem

Code:
[ebuild   R   ] dev-lang/python-2.4.4  USE="berkdb gdbm ipv6 ncurses readline ssl -bootstrap -build -doc -nocxx -tk -ucs2" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] gnome-base/libglade-2.6.0  USE="-debug -doc" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/pyxml-0.8.4  718 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/gtk+-2.10.11  USE="X jpeg tiff xinerama -debug -doc -macmenu" 0 kB [3]
[ebuild   R   ] dev-libs/glib-2.12.11  USE="-debug -doc -hardened" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] dev-python/pygtk-2.10.4  USE="opengl -doc -examples" 0 kB

dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don;t know :? There is nothing in the debug output to point at anything.

Only things I can see from it are:

1) gtkcairo is a depricated package and no longer in the tree. I doubt that it is causing a problem as it did not affect my system before I unmerged it. (Also policykit is also no longer in the tree)

2) you have "GTK Accessibility Module initialized" I have not ever used it. It may be possible that porthole is not doing things correctly for it, and causing your hang.

Have you tried any of the menu options, view selector? Nothing responds? does the window redraw if you cover it up with a different window, then expose it again? When was the last time you updated your cvs version? There was a time a while back that it was not populating and showing the categories and packages properly, but I don't think I had committed the changes that caused it until it was working.
unz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dol-sen wrote:
I don;t know :? There is nothing in the debug output to point at anything.

Only things I can see from it are:

1) gtkcairo is a depricated package and no longer in the tree. I doubt that it is causing a problem as it did not affect my system before I unmerged it. (Also policykit is also no longer in the tree)

2) you have "GTK Accessibility Module initialized" I have not ever used it. It may be possible that porthole is not doing things correctly for it, and causing your hang.

Have you tried any of the menu options, view selector? Nothing responds? does the window redraw if you cover it up with a different window, then expose it again?

It starts ok, but as soon as starts reading db, it locks. The window can't be redraw.
dol-sen wrote:

When was the last time you updated your cvs version? There was a time a while back that it was not populating and showing the categories and packages properly, but I don't think I had committed the changes that caused it until it was working.

The problem is not in the cvs code, porthole "stable" does the same.
I think there are some packages versions that break your code. Maybe gtk+ ones.
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

All seems to be stable for now, though I haven't tested too deep the thing. If I find anything I will report back. The main issue for me is the speed, it takes quite a bit of time to calculate de dependencies, though for the most part, it must be a problem related to portage itself, and not porthole. To display the package list on bigger categories, like kde-base, takes also a very long time. Portage fs is ext3.

dol-sen wrote:

I have also just committed the first portion of the package "Sets" coding which produces the correct category and package views listings. The remainder of the coding is not yet implemented, so does not work for selecting all packages in the list for group emerge/unmerge/upgrade and observing version restrictions. If you would like to try out the Sets view listings. Create a /etc/portage/sets directory and put in a file containing a package list following package.mask/package.unmask creation rules for qualifying atoms (or copy one of those files if they exist).

This seems to work ok.

Quote:
Please try out the pop-up dependency windows and test them out for bugs and general interface hang-ups or possible improvements that could/should be made. I would like more feedback since I am the only developer currently working on the code.

I like it simple, and functional, and porthole is just that. I think that the only downside is the speed in certain areas. But probably that could only be changed by using any kind of database like kuroo does.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed for calculating dependencies will be better when I disable a number of the debug print statements. I have left a number of them active so far to help track any mistakes I may have made. If no one finds any I will disable most of them. Porthole is probably slower at creating the dependency tree than portage because we follow most everything in order to show it's status. Also the dependency tree we build could use a good cache. There are often dependencies of dependencies that are repeated, so a caching lookup would help speed things.

Also porthole does use a database internally, it is created at startup from scratch and it caches all the data displayed as it is required for faster repeated showings of that data. I do agree though that many things could be improved if the whole portage tree was designed around a good database. I have even thought of the possibility of making porthole use a database as an option, but the tree is constantly changing. One of the ways that porthole's speed is better than emerge, even though they both use the same portage code is that porthole loads portage code with it's initializations once then uses it over and over for inquiries. Emerge has to load and initialize itself and portage code every time you run the emerge command which is a big overhead in time.

Anyway there are more speed improvements to come, but for now I need to concentrate on finishing a few things to get this out as a release.
unz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i found out that if i login as root, i can use porthole.
If i login as normal user i can't, even if i 'su' from a terminal.
My normal user belongs to portage group too. :roll:
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a permissions problem somewhere.

There have been a couple users with what turned out to be permissions not correct for x and other things, but there have usually been some error messages printed in the debug terminal. I go back to the gtk Accessibility module, try if you can disabling it and see if it works as a user.

Also check the xorg logs for any messages that might be relavant.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, :) I have committed a few more changes:
Quote:
-- Upgrades view now handles sets, and the beginnings of package version restrictions if they are set for package in a package-sets file. The recommended version should be correct,but the Upgrades/Emerge command does not yet pass on the version desired for the merge.

-- Several interface bug fixes, category not being re-selected when returning to a view. the package view checkbox column in the upgrades view disappearing.

-- Separated out the "All" and "Installed" views so that each can be open to different category and package selections.

dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have finally gotten around to committing the etc-proposals plug-in for porthole's trunk cvs version. Please keep in mind that I will be putting in a request for sourceforge to move the porthole/plugin_projects directory to porthole's cvsroot.

Since it consists only of the one directory and one file it is probably easiest to just create the directory in your cvs, then copy or download the one file to it.

Code:
# cd trunk/plugins
# mkdir /etc-proposals

Download the file...

Start your porthole cvs version and go to the Settings==>Plugin Settings menu option, enable it and its' ready.
Since it needs to run as root it will start the etcproposals command with the graghical su command set up in porthole's settings.
I do need to update it slightly for use with version 1.1

Also, the other plug-ins in the plugin_projects directory are out of date for use with the current cvs version (trunk) of porthole. Also the gen_use plug-in was not updated with all the changes to portage and the /etc/portage/package.* files. The profuse plug-in needs only a little updating to work correctly. I will commit those changes shortly.

[edit] Profuse plug-in now updated and ready to use. [/edit]
star.dancer
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the continuing work. I am having trouble getting the CVS version to work though. The same error occurs if I install it or run it locally from the download directory. crash_root.html is empty.
Code:
localhost trunk # ./porthole -l -d ALL
/home/myusername/temp/porthole/trunk/trunk/config/configuration.py:25: DeprecationWarning: The sre module is deprecated, please import re.
  import sre
PORTHOLE: importing MainWindow
PORTAGE setting =  backends.portagelib
PORTAGELIB: portage version = 2.1.3.16
BACKENDS: portage_lib import complete : <module 'backends.portagelib' from '/home/myusername/temp/porthole/trunk/trunk/backends/portagelib.pyc'>
opt, arg  -l  <type 'str'>
opt, arg  -d ALL <type 'str'>
Debug printing is enabled
('Debug print filter set to ', 'ALL')
pycrash module initializing
If a crash occurs check the /var/log/porthole/crash_root.html file and post it to porthole bugs
PORTHOLE: process id = 6307 ****************
MAINWINDOW: process id = 6307 ****************
DBREADER: read_db(); getting allnodes package list
libglade: ['gnome-base/libglade-2.6.2']
MAINWINDOW: __init__(); glade file = porthole.glade
MAINWINDOW: Prefs.myarch = amd64
DependsView: Depends view initialized
VIEWS: Category view initialized
VIEWS: initializing Package view_model: All
VIEWS: initializing Package view_model: Installed
VIEWS: initializing Package view_model: Search
VIEWS: initializing Package view_model: Upgradable
VIEWS: initializing Package view_model: Deprecated
VIEWS: initializing Package view_model: Sets
VIEWS: initializing Package view_model: Blank
VIEWS: Package_view._set_model(); changing to 'All' view model
VIEWS: Package view initialized
MAINWINDOW: init_data(); Initializing data
BACKENDS Utilities: get_sync_info();
BACKENDS Utilities: get_sync_info(); last_sync = Sat Oct 27 03:07:27 UTC 2007
MAINWINDOW: __init__(); is_root = True
TERMINAL: ProcessManager; process id = 6307 ****************
Error in sys.excepthook:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/pycrash/pycrash.py", line 113, in __exceptHook
    self.onExceptionRaised(self.__numberOfExceptions)
  File "./porthole", line 86, in onExceptionRaised
    self.saveToFile(save_file)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/pycrash/pycrash.py", line 281, in saveToFile
    fd.write(self.getCrashDump())
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/pycrash/utils/Html.py", line 493, in getCrashDump
    return self.convertStringDump( super(HTMLPyCrash, self).getCrashDump() )
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/pycrash/utils/Html.py", line 483, in convertStringDump
    dumper.parseString(dumpString)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/pycrash/utils/Html.py", line 406, in parseString
    except ExpatError: #this is not a well formed XML string
NameError: global name 'ExpatError' is not defined

Original exception was:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./porthole", line 236, in <module>
    myapp = MainWindow() #config.Prefs, config.Config)
  File "/home/myusername/temp/porthole/trunk/trunk/mainwindow.py", line 234, in __init__
    self.process_manager = ProcessManager(utils.utils.environment(), False)
  File "/home/myusername/temp/porthole/trunk/trunk/terminal/terminal.py", line 96, in __init__
    self.sesbus = dbus.SessionBus()
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 216, in __new__
    mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/_dbus.py", line 105, in __new__
    bus = BusConnection.__new__(subclass, bus_type, mainloop=mainloop)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/dbus/bus.py", line 121, in __new__
    bus = cls._new_for_bus(address_or_type, mainloop=mainloop)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like I did not get the dbus setup correct when run as root. It is not being used for anything yet, the terminal just has the capability of adding to the queue via dbus request from other apps. I rarely run porthole as root anymore and had not tested it as root. I will comment it out or fix it in the next while. Try running porthole as your user (the user should belong to the portage group). It will ask for a sudo password depending on how you have sudo configured for emerges.

I will most likely be setting porthole up to use dbus in the future. With dbus It should be quite easy to separate the main window and terminal processes so you can close the mainwindow with the terminal running still. It should also be relatively easier to create a dock applet to monitor the emerge queue and things. There may also be a new glsa gui dock applet (not by me, I'm far too busy or I would have had a new porthole release finished already) in the works that will automatically check for glsa's and update your system accordingly. Also in the works is a new universal backend that will run on dbus to interface with the gui frontend for all portage/pkgcore/paludis supplied information on your system. It should make it easier for all gui frontends to gather system/package info no matter what language the gui is written in.

Sorry for the long delay in getting a new release out. I've been so busy that it has been hard to keep my mind into coding/debugging mode.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you that might have thought that porthole was dead.... NOT YET! :D I think I've finally gotten the last of the main bugs fixed for a new release.

You may find a bug or two still, but you shouldn't find anything significant. There are a few things that I have not had time to complete like the timer functionality and sets support is not 100%. For sets support you will have to manually set package.mask/unmask so portage will match any atoms you specify in the sets package list. You could otherwise end up with an installed version that portage thought was preferable than what you specify in a sets file.

Please update your cvs copies and let me know if you find something that needs fixing. I will begin the last of the updates needed to install it properly with an updated ebuild.
RMX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news?
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I can get to testing the install and ebuild process to make a release this weekend. I have updated most of the help files for the changes.

I won't have updated translation files for this release, especially since it is long, long overdue.

I am finally going to get some weekends off :D , although I have tons of work around the house and yard to catch up on.
dol-sen
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've managed to get some time for some final install testing. It seems that I did not get the relative module imports correct for proper importing for both local and installed versions. I am working on fixing my mistakes.

hopefully only another day or two.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: