Gentoo forum changes to phpBB released?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hasten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Gentoo forum changes to phpBB released? Reply with quote

The Auguest 25, 2003 newsletter states:

Quote:
"Over the coming months, we will continue to make changes to the forums to improve their usability and scalability."

From reading this, I'm assuing that you have already made changes to phpBB's source code.

I was wondering if you guys have released the changes you made? It'd be of great value to the phpBB community.

Also, side note: Keep watching for version 2.2. It's going to rock. :D
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they would be compelled to release them under GPL if they give it away for public consumption - but they're not - so they they can keep it secret.

It could be hardware tuning though.
pilla
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we have modifications on the sources, as the sysadmins always are relutant of including patches that are hard to integrate on future versions of phpBB.

It is more hardware/software tuning, like changing parameters on the MySQL database and so on, and also our own theme.

But I may be wrong.
hasten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zhenlin wrote:
I think they would be compelled to release them under GPL if they give it away for public consumption - but they're not - so they they can keep it secret.

It could be hardware tuning though.

Yes, I'm well aware of phpBB's GPL'ed status. I didn't want to be rude and use the GPL as leverage against the Gentoo team.

Also, I don't think it matters whether is for public consumption or not. If you make a change to the PHP code, or the SQL queries, I think you have to release it. I think.... I'm not completely sure though. Help?
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that note in the GWN was a reference to moving the forums back to their original servers. They are currently hosted at OSU and on Debian.
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private modifications are private - no publishing neccessary.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLRequireSourcePostedPublic wrote:

Does the GPL require that source code of modified versions be posted to the public?
The GPL does not require you to release your modified version. You are free to make modifications and use them privately, without ever releasing them. This applies to organizations (including companies), too; an organization can make a modified version and use it internally without ever releasing it outside the organization.

But if you release the modified version to the public in some way, the GPL requires you to make the modified source code available to the program's users, under the GPL.

Thus, the GPL gives permission to release the modified program in certain ways, and not in other ways; but the decision of whether to release it is up to you.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The statement from the newsletter refers to hardware issues that are currently causing some difficulty as well as simply not being as nice as we would like. We use stock phpBB code for stability purposes.
hasten
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

masseya wrote:
The statement from the newsletter refers to hardware issues that are currently causing some difficulty as well as simply not being as nice as we would like. We use stock phpBB code for stability purposes.

Ok. Thanks for the information. If I came off a little brash or rude, I apologize. I was just trying to help the phpBB project along. I should have known better, though. Gentoo is an open source project, hell it's an all source project. If you guys made any changes to phpBB, you probably would release the code without needing me to ask because it's the open source way/mentatlity.

Thanks guys!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Forums Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: