View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, is anyone of you able to start emerald (for the dropshadows)?

If yes, which version are you running? I have latest git installed, but when I start it, simply nothing happens.
Desktop cube et al works fine though.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
Two quick ebuilds

svn co http://gimpel.ath.cx/svn/gimpel/x11-wm/e/ <- the modified e
svn co http://gimpel.ath.cx/svn/gimpel/x11-wm/ecomorph/ <- the modified compiz
svn co http://gimpel.ath.cx/svn/gimpel/x11-libs/libecompconfig/
svn co http://gimpel.ath.cx/svn/gimpel/dev-python/ecompconfig-python/
svn co http://gimpel.ath.cx/svn/gimpel/x11-misc/ecsm/

Dependencies are still totally incomplete for ecomorph, and as it installs to /usr you currently cannot install both compiz and ecomorph due to file collisions. I'm sure Hannes will fix those soon if we ask nicely :)

libecompconfig, ecsm etc ebuilds will follow this evening after work.
EDIT: added the rest. Dependencies are still a mess.
Your ebuilds compiled and installed fine,- just need to run it now :)
One change I needed to add: dev-python/pyrex as a DEPEND for ecompconfig-python. I didn't have this installed and the configure failed.

EDIT: I too get a black screen with only the mouse visible, even when I login with root. I am not using a recent kernel, in fact I haven't updated anything except e17 for the past several months :/
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka, pyrex added, thanks. Also added a X session file and a xsession .desktop to ecomorph.
So you should be able to start it with either
Code:
XSESSION="ecomorph" startx

or with a display manager (I use GDM)

PS: I moved all E related ebuilds including the ecomorph stuff to a seperate repo.
Code:
svn co http://gimpel.ath.cx/svn/ecomp/

or
Code:
layman -f -o http://gimpel.ath.cx/~tom/layman-ecomp.list -a ecomp

ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a look at your xsession files. I am using something very very similar which is called by entrance:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

### Start enlightenment-0.17 with compiz

# redirect errors to a file in user's home directory if we can
for errfile in "$HOME/.xsession-errors" "${TMPDIR-/tmp}/xses-$USER" "/tmp/xses-$USER"
do
   if ( cp /dev/null "$errfile" 2> /dev/null )
   then
      chmod 600 "$errfile"
      exec > "$errfile" 2>&1
      break
   fi
done

# Register session with wtmp
if pgrep entrance >&/dev/null; then
    echo "sessreg: reached here" >&2
    sudo /usr/bin/sessreg -a -w /var/log/wtmp -u /var/run/utmp -x "/var/:0.Xservers" -l ":0" $USER
fi

[[ -f /usr/local/Xmodmap ]] && /usr/bin/xmodmap /usr/local/Xmodmap
[[ -f $HOME/.Xdefaults ]] && /usr/bin/xrdb -load $HOME/.Xdefaults
/usr/bin/xhost local:localhost
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode force
/usr/bin/syndaemon -d -i 1 -K
/usr/bin/tpb -d
# start e17 with compiz now:
export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
eval `/usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session`
/usr/bin/ecomorph ccp &
/usr/bin/enlightenment_start -evil "$@"
Actually ecomorph, in its earlier version also did not work, so I am not quite as hopeful that this will also work. I probably need to upgrade my system (which is not going to happen anytime soon :roll:).
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, ecomorph is acting chaotically here. I could enter with normal user if I log with root in a terminal, then use a "su holysword", and then start ecomorph with "startx" (and that modifications at ~/.xinitrc) . I thought that was something with a enviroment variable, but even after a "source /etc/profile" I could enter ecomorph by this way.

Then, mystically, I could log using entrance and the .desktop file mentioned above. But no effects at all.

Then I re-emerged compiz-fusion ( I trying to install it in KDE, my secondary session ) and things worked fine. For normal user. Root didn't reconized a lot of plugins, but the Cube, Switcher and etc worked fine... but no animations, for example. After reemerge compiz-fusion normal user could use almost all plugins, while root stays with the same plugins. It sounds like magic XD

There is a anoying bug - and that's the price for bleeding edge XD. Everytime I start ecomorph I must go for ecsm->general option-> desktop size and change something. Anything, I just need to make a change, otherwise I got only one virtual desktop. After that I can't use cube rotation - probably 'cause it couldn't be configured to only one desktop... - and then I must change something at ecsm->cube desktop. Then it works. But its anoying.

And nothing agains python, but I would really love to see the ecomorph configurations in an E17 module configuration window - like bling, for example. I noticed that they are including the shortcuts to Key bindings module... wonderfull :P

I got some slowdown with normal user too, specially when I'm trying to resize a window. This slowdown comes even when I disable all compiz plugins. BTW, root don't have any slowdown.

But all in all I loved Ecomorph *.*

EDIT: those ebuilds were added to any overlay?
math_roc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebuild works well here :d thx

Ecomorph is great, but there is a lot of ayonning things, for now I don't think it's very usable.
I have slowdown when resizing or moving window, I got the ring switcher works once, but never again. neither of the other switcher.
key binding in ecsm, like Super+E for expo, dosn't work, but action like 'mouse to top left' works ;)

The cube almost work too, I can switch left or right, but when I go up or down, in the pager module, it shows I change desktop, but I always have the same window display... and I don't know how to rotate the cube with the mouse.

so I'm back for vanilla enlightenment.

ps: anyone know how much enlightenement is patched? if it's as the old patch (just one line added) perhaps it could go up stream?
this way we can have bleeding enlightenment along with ecomorph
math_roc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again

I go a little further, the main problem, is that the dbus plugin is very chaotic, it loads correctly every 50 lunch ...
and once it works, it don't last long :(

I only want to use the ring switcher (keybindings need dbus plugin loaded) and scale (this one works great with 'screen edge' actions)

and I don't really want to have the Cube, nor Plane or Wall, but then, when I switch desktop, window don't move
so I'm now using Desktop Plane.

Anyway, that's really great!! and I really like scale :D
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fixed the xsession stuff for the ecomporph ebuild. That was quite messy, sorry. Intel and ATI users have to edit things though.

The keybindings are defined in E directly, when using the ebuild. But they only work after restarting ecomorph for some weird reason. And dbus has to be enabled.

The most annoying thing is that starting emerald has no effect. Mine is compiled against current compiz git, and that won't load in ecomorph :(
No dropshadows, no love.
math_roc
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!
I everything (scale + keybindings + DesktopWall + Fade) works great here :d

here is my /etc/X11/Sessions/ecomorph:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
export LIBGL_ALWAYS_INDIRECT=1
export INTEL_BATCH=1
dbus-launch --exit-with-session
/usr/bin/ecomorph ccp dbus &
/usr/bin/enlightenment_start -evil

I had seen a plugin that move windows when raising or lowering a window. Anyone knows which is it?

I think it's quite usable now :)
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I updated my system, and everything still running fine.
Then I tried to use the gimpel ebuild and everything disappeared. Enlightenment starts, but no effects at all ( and no virtual desktop ). I don't know why, but root still able to use everything as usal =S
I'm sure that its a path problem, there's not another explanation. Anyone has idea of where I should start to look?
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holysword, not sure, but maybe things in the config changed.
Code:
bzcat /usr/share/doc/ecomorph-9999/Default.ini.bz2 > ~/.config/ecomp/ecompconfig/Default.ini

and start over. Or simply unpack it, diff it, and adopt the changes manually.

Also make sure to edit /etc/X11/Sessions/ecomorph to your needs. The one that gets installed with the ebuild only works for nvidia cards with nvidia driver.
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah gimpel, I used this bzcat ( and a message appears at the end of emerge telling so XD ).
I'm using nvidia driver too.
And my ecomorph session seems to be working. For root. Not for common user.

What I'm complaining is this strange acting of ecomorph. It works for a user but not for the other... I don't mind if I can "walkaround" it, I wanna FIX the thing!
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to say it, but I'm now experiencing the same problems as those who have built from the ebuilds ( I assume because I also built from the ebuilds now ).

For me, all the plugins that are activated on desktop corners work, but none of the plugins that are activated with keybindings work. I have tried configuring both via ecsm and E's keybindings ( and restarting ).

Oh well. I'll rebuild manually and see if I get everything back.

a) I plead guilty, or
b) Please let me out of here and end the torture
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebuild uses E's key bindings. And it doesn't fully work here too.

We could make this a useflag - unfortunately it's not runtime configurable.
Treovo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like following the installation instructions from the googlecode Wiki lead to repeated PKG_CONFIG_PATH errors.
I've tried to build in /usr/local but was confronted to the same error solved by changing the path. However ecsm does not work.
Code:
ImportError: No module named ecompconfig"

Can someone post more detailed instructions a sto the installation and key bindings process?

Thxs!
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treovo wrote:
Code:

Can someone post more detailed instructions a sto the installation and key bindings process?

The instructions on http://code.google.com/p/itask-module/wiki/Stuff work perfectly for me.

The error above means that you don't have the python bindings installed: ecompconfig-python

Dan

a) I plead guilty, or
Holysword
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Treovo wrote:
It looks like following the installation instructions from the googlecode Wiki lead to repeated PKG_CONFIG_PATH errors.
I've tried to build in /usr/local but was confronted to the same error solved by changing the path. However ecsm does not work.
Code:

Thxs!

Man, I got a similar problem. Try to re-install ecomp-config and see where the make is putting it. Then, when you gonna configure ecomorph use "./configure --lib=PATH" or something similar ( I don't remember exactly ). It worked for me ^^
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple nimrod questions:

1. do I need to have compiz installed separately to do this (or is everything picked up either using the ebuilds here or the itasks guy's web page instructions)?

I went through the itask guy's steps, think I got both started ok and while the appear/disappear animation for the e17 menus looked different from normal, I couldn't find anything to actually 'turn on' some compiz stuff - so I really didn't know if it was half installed or not;

2. so I thought I'd try these ebuilds instead, removed the first install but when I do 'emerge -p ecomorph' all I get is:

Code:

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies \
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "ecomorph" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-wm/ecomorph-9999 (masked by: missing keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

I've looked at the ebuild, man page, etc., and I can't figure out what the keyword I'm missing is;

Treovo wrote:
Code:

Quote:

The error above means that you don't have the python bindings installed: ecompconfig-python

what exactly does that mean? how are they installed (if not through 'make install')? I installed everything from the itask guy's instructions, have python-2.4.3-r4 and pyrex-0.9.5.1a installed, tried making links to various things in /usr/lib/python*/site-package and/or /usr/lib and nothing ever happens except the "no module ecompconfig" msg.
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordic bro wrote:
1. do I need to have compiz installed separately to do this (or is everything picked up either using the ebuilds here or the itasks guy's web page instructions)?

No. In fact there may be some clashes at the moment between compiz and ecomorph.

nordic bro wrote:
I went through the itask guy's steps, think I got both started ok and while the appear/disappear animation for the e17 menus looked different from normal, I couldn't find anything to actually 'turn on' some compiz stuff - so I really didn't know if it was half installed or not;

Install ecsm to activate plugins.

nordic bro wrote:
!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "ecomorph" have been masked.

!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- x11-wm/ecomorph-9999 (masked by: missing keyword)

For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

Add the following to /etc/portage/package.keywords file:

Code:
x11-wm/ecomorph                 ~x86 **
x11-misc/ecsm                   ~x86 **
dev-python/ecompconfig-python   ~x86 **
x11-libs/libecompconfig         ~x86 **

Maybe you only need ~x86 or ** but anyway, both won't hurt.

If /etc/portage/package.keywords is a folder on your system ( which is maybe a better idea ), then add the above to a file called something like /etc/portage/package.keywords/ecomoprh

Keep in mind that the keybindings are broken with the default installation method from the ebuilds at the moment. Look back through the posts for details.

nordic bro wrote:
ImportError: No module named ecompconfig

what exactly does that mean? how are they installed (if not through 'make install')? I installed everything from the itask guy's instructions, have python-2.4.3-r4 and pyrex-0.9.5.1a installed, tried making links to various things in /usr/lib/python*/site-package and/or /usr/lib and nothing ever happens except the "no module ecompconfig" msg.

??? Well ... you need to 2 packages: libecompconfig, which is a C library, and ecompconfig-python, which is python bindings for libecompconfig. I followed the instructions on the itask wiki and it 'just worked'. Re-install ecompconfig-python and keep a copy of the terminal output. If it doesn't work, paste the terminal output so we can verify that you've done it right.

a) I plead guilty, or
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanDan wrote:
Keep in mind that the keybindings are broken with the default installation method from the ebuilds at the moment. Look back through the posts for details.

I made that a useflag, so you should be able to choose USE="e-keybindings" if you want E17 to handle keybindings (that indeed seems pretty broken). If not set, it uses the default.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ VanDan, all set, thanks for the help; the ebuild went fine after adding to keywords file.

VanDan wrote:

??? Well ... you need to 2 packages: libecompconfig, which is a C library, and ecompconfig-python, which is python bindings for libecompconfig. I followed the instructions on the itask wiki and it 'just worked'. Re-install ecompconfig-python and keep a copy of the terminal output. If it doesn't work, paste the terminal output so we can verify that you've done it right.

ecsm is working after using the ebuild but the problem was definitely not missing packages since when using itask method originally I had every thing mentioned installed (did it twice in fact); must be something in my python setup and/or env var but no idea what.

It's interesting that the two methods have you do opposite things - using the ebuild it puts everything in /usr but ecsm in /usr/local; the itask instructions had me do the opposite (bins in /usr/local and ecsm in /usr). I realize both installs are two sides of one coin but still.

This is the message I got from ecsm following using the ebuild

Code:

Info: No sexy-python package found, don't worry it's optional.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/ecsm", line 39, in ?
    import ccm
ImportError: No module named ccm

This is identical to the msg from ecsm following the itask instructions except instead of 'import ccm' failing it was the 'import ecompconfig' line just above it.

When I linked the ebuild's /usr/local*ccm to /usr/lib/python*/site* the GUI finally started wortking. But when originally installing using itask instructions no kind of linking ecompconfig libs+ anywhere did any good at all.

But like I said, it's all working now so thanks again for the help.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, why does ecsm suddenly install into /usr/local? Did they change distutils.eclass? Or did Hannes mess up the setup.py?
/me checks...

EDIT: fixed.
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quite make out from this thread but the ecomorph troubleshooting section makes it sound like emerald will work with this - anyone know that it does? I don't have beryl or compiz installed atm but if I remove ecomorph+e17, emerge compiz-fusion (to get emerald) then install ecomorph from the itask web site, will emerald work?

Also one other thing, some things I have stickied in their own prefs or pinned through devilspie, don't appear on the other desktops (viewports or whatever); and other devilspie settings don't have any effect w/ecomorph running (like they're in the rotation when I move the mouse cursor to bottom left screen, etc. but I don't want them there) - is there any way I can tell ecomorph to ignore those things and/or leave them pinned to all desktops?
VanDan
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nordic bro wrote:
I can't quite make out from this thread but the ecomorph troubleshooting section makes it sound like emerald will work with this - anyone know that it does?

No it won't work. I don't really see why you'd want it either ... maybe for a particular theme. You can always port the theme to E17.

a) I plead guilty, or
nordic bro
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanDan wrote:
nordic bro wrote:
I can't quite make out from this thread but the ecomorph troubleshooting section makes it sound like emerald will work with this - anyone know that it does?

No it won't work. I don't really see why you'd want it either ... maybe for a particular theme. You can always port the theme to E17.

Ok, thanks.

The itask guy mentioned emerald in his instructions and the demo video shows the emerald mgr flipping around with other apps. With ecomorph running and using the e17 dropshadow module I get ghost shadow outlines on the other desktops where a running app isn't - thought maybe I could unload that and use emerald somehow.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: