Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Samsung K3 mp3 player metamorphosis
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Have you done this firmware upgrade ?
Yes, I had problems but now it's working.
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Yes, thanks it's working great !
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
No, I'm scared.
33%
 33%  [ 1 ]
Yes, and it broke my player :(
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

darjeeling
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Samsung K3 mp3 player metamorphosis Reply with quote

Hi guys! [Excuse my english, this is not my first language]

Great news for those of us who owns a samsung K3 mp3 player! In fact, I've found a new firmware for the K3: it's a korean firmware. I've found it on an another forum... (anythingbutipod.com)

Here's the new fonctionalities brought by this new firmware :

• No more needs for id3 tags. Files are now organized in folders and are read by their filenames.
  • K3 can now read plain txt files.
  • Customizable user equaliser!
  • 2 new fonts for the display.
  • New animations while playing music. A lot better!
  • ... and, the best of all : no more MTP mode ! YES! Your mp3 player will now be detected as a USB component. This firmware change it to UMS mode instead! :D
  • and more fun stuff...

Ok, now for the installation part (steps to do in windows, sorry guys) :

1. Download the firmware and extract the 2 files (YPK3.img & YPK3.rom).
    2. Copy the 2 files to the root folder of the K3. If you cannot copy the files, format your K3. Copy the files in the root folder or in the data folder if you have it.
    3. Unplug the K3 and turn it on. It will automatically upgrade the firmware when switched on. The firmware update process will take about 20 seconds.
    4. It will now complain about not enough space to create database (or some message like this) : but at this point, you're supposed to see the K3 in “My Computer” as a removable device. Format the player in FAT32 from there.
    5. Disconnect and switch on your K3 again.
    6. Maybe the K3 will display a white screen and will seems to be freezed : don't panic! :-)
    7. If this happens, plug your K3 and copy again the 2 files extracted before in the root folder or in the data folder of the K3 if you have it.
    8. Disconnect and turn on your K3 again. At this point mine functioned perfectly.

Browse all the menus and explore them. If you still have problems with your new firmware, just copy the files of the old firmware to the root folder and restart it. Don't forget that you have a “reset button” at the back of the K3. It helped me too.

And finally ... don't forget to boot Gentoo and transfert some stuff to your “new” player ;-)

Link to the korean 4.03 firmware : http://www.yepp.co.kr/support/support_file_down.jsp?pds_num=1665&seq_num=1
Link to old 1.04 "classic" firmware : http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/index.asp

Last edited by darjeeling on Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
pragmatine
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great guide - works perfectly (even though I use Ubuntu, I used to use Gentoo so I know how great the community is here on these forums).

Originally I was disappointed my YP-K3 seemed completely incompatible under Linux (even the latest version of libmtp was flaky at best) but this firmware makes it everything I could want - as well as being available as usb mass storage, it also plays Ogg/Vorbis too.

Also you only need windows for the first firmware copy step (in fact if you can get libmtp working okay with it, then you could even probably do it all under Linux) after that you can format as FAT32 under Linux and re-copy the firmware if needed too,

Thanks again.
curian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey.

yeah, I made the upgrade too, rocks. the problem is that the transfer rate is damn slow. I get only ~60kb/sec. any idea what could possibly cause this?

edit1: I was fiddling around with different usb devices and stuff. on windows the player is much faster, plus, which is more interesting, a plain usb pendrive on linux is capable of only ~200kB/sec.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi !

The link on the corean driver is not working anymore. Do you know if it is a new one?

EDIT: forget about this, it is a new korean firmware, 4.0.6, in 3 colors and with some removed bugs. I fond it on a french forum

Direct links:
blue
red
lime

Will the FM radio work after the upgrade?

EDIT: I think that I must try ti know for sure.
curian
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the radio works just as good.
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the format in fat32 step. I try to do it, but it didn't worked. I get not new hdd in my box when my usb camera is just working fine. So it must be no problem with my fstab setting or kernel setup or hal setup.

Another issue it at it was becoming very hot. The shop where I buy it just changed the device, it was one week ago. I am not sure if it goes wrong because of me or because of device failure. I also don't want to take the risk to get in trouble again if it was my fault, because they will not change the device again but send it to samsung and it will take time.

I done the format in gentoo with fdisk and was choosing W95 FAT 32 the first time. After restarting the device, it was not possible to mount it. I try several time to format the k3, and at the end, I try the other fat32 formats. I also try with cfdisk. Things begun to seriously go wrong after reformating the k3 as logical partition, it was even not rebooting anymore.

So, which fat32 format must I use, W95 FAT 32 as the first try, or another format?
linuxexplorer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

I tested this new firmware update and it worked almost perfectly. But now are some menu items in korean and not in german or even english!!
Does someone also discovered this problem?

Thanks and Greets, Linuxexplorer
linuxexplorer
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry guys

i just solved the problem... there was a menu item language... 8)

Greets, linuxexplorer
gzaa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wohooo, it works, I followed the instructions from this forum http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14516 and downloaded the 4.06 manual firmware, because the automatic told me that my device has already the newest firmware, which was not true, my had 3.05. Anyway, manual way worked for me, it's nice to have it as usb mass storage, i like this way much more than mts with ID3tags :roll:
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to do the upgrade fully with gentoo. As the forum was down, I done a little howto on the wiki: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Samsung_K3
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not linux related, install method uses windows... etc.

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Off the Wall.
darjeeling
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dominique_71 wrote:
I managed to do the upgrade fully with gentoo. As the forum was down, I done a little howto on the wiki: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HARDWARE_Samsung_K3

Great guide ! Thanks for the greetings at the end of the howto ;-)
s3cr3ts
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CAn someone help me please? i did everything fine but then i reached the part where the screen turns white and you have to reinstall it. yes the screen did turn white. and the i tried dragging and dropping the ypk3.rom file onto the data folder. but then the "no entry" sign kept coming up. and i can't do anyhting bout it. my mp3 is left white.
bos_mindwarp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no ipod, no care
darjeeling
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people write me about the "white screen" problem. Like I told at point 7 :
Quote:
7. If this happens, plug your K3 and copy again the 2 files extracted before in the root folder or in the data folder of the K3 if you have it.

First : Remember, even if the screen is white, you can access the folders on the K3. So you can put those 2 files in the ROOT folder or in the DATA folder. If everyone have done it before, why can't you ? I'm sorry but I have no answer about this ! [But maybe someone else can?]

Second : I suggest to do this firmware upgrade when you are covered by your 30 days warranty =)

Good luck ! And like I told, it worked for me the first time. So I have no real workaround if you experience problems...
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you to follow the wiki article and do the upgrade fully with linux. I suggest that because you have greater control that way, and also because it worked fine for me that way.
DRyann
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I followed the step (working under linux), and in the end, my screen turned blank.
So i didn't panic, and tried to copy the files again. HOWEVER I was not able to access the player anymore... How can I solve this issue?

Please...
asturm
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No OGG, no care

...I wanted to write at first, but since the newest firmware seems to support ist, this nice little Samsung made it on my successors-to-iRiver-H120. Which now consists of only 2 players (Cowon iAudio7 and the Samsung). Things will get interesting when they reach 24 or 32 GB with flash.
Cartroo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for posting this - I just followed the wiki page instructions to the letter and it worked an absolute treat. I had been annoyed that I had to transcode all my OGGs into MP3, and the MTP interface is less than perfect, to say the least.

For anybody who's doing this now, I used the 4.10 firmware, which you can get from this link:

http://www.yepp.co.kr/support/support_file_down_sms.jsp?pds_num=1701&seq_num=1

I harvested that from this thread on some forums:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23194

Seems to work fine, although you must remember to change your language back to English (or appropriate). It's the third option down on the settings section, but they put that option in English as well. Oh, and that firmware version only seems to have one .IMG file, which is the default blue colour scheme.

Of course the best bit is that the main menu options now sparkle! ;-)
Dominique_71
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks! Reply with quote

Cartroo wrote:
I had to transcode all my OGGs into MP3, and the MTP interface is less than perfect, to say the least.

Too bad! :twisted:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: