Fix website or risk going down in flames
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshanab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Fix website or risk going down in flames Reply with quote

I have used gentoo for years, it has been my distro of choice. But...

This website is seriously broken, If not fixed, it stands to ruin the gentoo distro.

1) The online package database no longer has a search and you can't even scroll to the next page. It was a primary resource, now it is useless.
Ok, it got hacked but that was months (year?) ago
2) There is a separate website that was really nice, I found it in a gentoo forum. The forum is one of the reasons I liked gentoo so much. The people were always so heavy.
which brings me to...
3) I can't find it again because the search no longer works in the forum. It reduces everything to a single word and finds crap or nothing. Or 20 page long diatribes that can't be searched.

C'mon already
HTC_apache: Next convert, my ppc6700 phone
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The search function for packages.gentoo.org is supposed to be in the works, just remember it's an entirely new web app and be patient (although I have to admit, without the search it's of very little use to me at the moment...)

2) You're probably referring to www.gentoo-portage.com, although there are some more alternatives

3) I have to agree with you here, half the time when I want to find something specific I have to use google with "site:forums.gentoo.org"...
nexus780
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your points though I don't think the impact is that big.
packages.gentoo.org is a huge embarrassment but gentoo-portage.com provides more functionality (even though the page seems to load a bit slower but it's still fine).

The forum search is a complete waste of time though, I use scroogle (google but claims to have only 2 days cookie or whatever) with site:forums.gentoo.org now... it's annoying that f.g.o effectively doesnt have a search but it's not the end of the world.

What it does certainly do (especially the two things combined, and the fact that it took forever to even bring back the current simple p.g.o) make Gentoo look very unprofessional to outside observers. The search problem could be an inhibition to newer people. Certainly people who come from other distros may turn away kind of on principle.

In any case, what works great though is Gentoo itself - the ebuilds and portage are getting better and better. And of course the software itself is getting better as well. And the GMN got off to a great start too.

Although I do wanna try my hands on Debian-Hurd (or even better Gentoo-Hurd, will post for that later)...

Anyways, who cares about two minor problems that haver perfectly good workarounds when the software itself is great :)
jshanab
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: The impact is that big. Reply with quote

This started today when I wanted to check out codeblocks.
There is no way to tell what version is in portage. The codeblocks says version 8.2 certainly we can't really be at 1.0??
So I try to search the forum. Go ahead, follow that line of thought. Even veterans may go elseware. Perhaps if the descriptions when you do an emerge --search were a little better...

gentoo-portage is ok. There is one I like a lot better, but for the life of me, I can't find it. I will have to wait till monday, it is book marked at work.
(it is the one with how-tos and graphs.

hopeless, the question is are you as sexy as your avatar? :-)
HTC_apache: Next convert, my ppc6700 phone
Yamakuzure
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: The impact is that big. Reply with quote

jshanab wrote:
The codeblocks says version 8.2 certainly we can't really be at 1.0??
You might want to read a bit more on the codeblocks page. Codeblocks has been without a new release for ages, the 8.02 (2008, February) is brand new, and we had to use nightly/svn builds for what, 2 years now? And if you read the news on the codeblocks page, you will find, that the third news entry on the main page says, that versioning scheme has been changed, what explains the 8.02 version. It's all there on the main page, without any need to search. (I hate to RTFM normally, sorry!)

See here: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-588089-highlight-codeblocks.html
(That is found by the forums search using "codeblocks" as only keyword, by the way...)

Besides that you are right, the forums search is not really usefull. It strips of dots and underscores rather effectively rendering searches relying on them useless.

Using google/scroogle with "site:forums.gentoo.org" is a great hint, though, I'll try that! :)

edit: I have stopped searching packages through websites. I use kuroo for that, which works very great for searching and finding packages when you do not exactly know what you search. A perfect tool when eix/esearch/emerge --search can't be used due to lack of information! ;)
cjubon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://pebuilds.peschke.us/ is another alternative to the - until now, not very appealing - revival of p.g.o.
R.Smith
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to stick my oar in regarding gentoo-portage; it's sometimes really useful and other times exceptionally not. There's loads of cases of: "<use flag> provides support for <use flag>". :?
Sadako
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.Smith wrote:
Just to stick my oar in regarding gentoo-portage; it's sometimes really useful and other times exceptionally not. There's loads of cases of: "<use flag> provides support for <use flag>". :?
I'm pretty sure they just take the definitions from /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc, so that's not really their fault...
R.Smith
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopeless wrote:
R.Smith wrote:
I'm pretty sure they just take the definitions from /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc, so that's not really their fault...

Do you know how someone would go about modifying these USE flag definitions? They look like they need a more helpful overhaul* and I wouldn't mind participating.

*Like explaining what they actually do, what the effect will be package/system-wide and perhaps marking certain flags as "recommended" from a security P.O.V..
cjubon
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.Smith wrote:
USE flag definitions [...] look like they need a more helpful overhaul* and I wouldn't mind participating
I second. Some of those USE flag descriptions are quite embarrassing.
lyallp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: The impact is that big. Reply with quote

[quote="jshanab"
gentoo-portage is ok. There is one I like a lot better, but for the life of me, I can't find it. I will have to wait till monday, it is book marked at work.
[/quote]

I find using http://del.icio.us to be really useful for bookmarks - no more "it's at work, it's at home"
timeBandit
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Fix website or risk going down in flames Reply with quote

jshanab wrote:
1) The online package database no longer has a search and you can't even scroll to the next page. It was a primary resource, now it is useless.
Hardly. You can search it by googling with "site:packages.gentoo.org" appended to your keywords. But keep reading....
jshanab wrote:
3) ... [S]earch no longer works in the forum. It reduces everything to a single word and finds crap or nothing. Or 20 page long diatribes that can't be searched.
"No longer?" If there was a time it worked well, I missed it. :wink:

In both cases, the Gentoo site devs have quietly, secretly, sneakily, helpfully :) provided a solution--if you use Firefox. There are search plugins available for the most-wanted Gentoo site searches.

While viewing any Gentoo web page (forums, main site or Bugzilla), click the drop-down menu control next to the search widget in Firefox's navigation toolbar (usually it's a little G icon, for Google). At the bottom of the menu, you'll see options to add search engines for Gentoo Packages, Gentoo Forums, Gentoo Website, Gentoo Bugzilla and/or Gentoo List Archives. Add the ones you like. Each becomes the default as you add it.

To search the forums, select the Gentoo Forums search engine and enter your search terms. You'll see the Google result for your keywords on "site:forums.gentoo.org." The others are similar. If, after entering your search terms, you middle-click the Search button adjacent to the entry field, the result opens in a new tab.
desultory
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Other Things Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.

For the first point refer to topic "packages.gentoo.org". For the second point refer to topic "packages.gentoo.org alternatives" and bear in mind the it is not an exhaustive list of alternatives. For the third point, refer to topic "Gentoo forum search sucks".

R.Smith wrote:
Do you know how someone would go about modifying these USE flag definitions? They look like they need a more helpful overhaul* and I wouldn't mind participating.

*Like explaining what they actually do, what the effect will be package/system-wide and perhaps marking certain flags as "recommended" from a security P.O.V..
Please file a bug report including your recommended descriptions for specific flags.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: