Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Is running Gentoo viable with just a 56K connection?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snoopster77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:14 am    Post subject: Is running Gentoo viable with just a 56K connection? Reply with quote

I managed to get a basic Gentoo system up and running using CD with stage 3 on it. My problem is that I only have a 56K link to the net and the added headache of a 2 hour limit per session. So at the moment there is no GUI and I'm just mucking around with kernel builds and stuff. I'm sort of using this to try and elevate myself out of newbie status when it comes to linux.

However, I would naturally love to have even a basic GUI up and running but I'm guessing that would take 100's of Mbytes. For the amount of phone calls and time spent I would sooner pay someone with some spare bandwidth to burn a snapshot of the complete distfiles directory on several CDs. So that would get me an up to date system but what about when the latest and greatest version of Gnome/KDE/Mozilla/OpenOfice comes out. One of the beauties of Gentoo is it's ability to automatically update but it seems to me that I can't take advantage of this.

Anyone got any thoughts on this? :cry:
Techie2000
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered fluxbox? It took hours on hours to compile KDE and it hogged my memory like nuts. Fluxbox took under an hour to get going. And it very customizable. Also I think its a nice break from the standard boring GUI schemes of windows, gnome, and kde.
Snoopster77
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main problem is not compile time but download time. And yes fluxbox is not as big as KDE or Gnome but the continual maintenance of a Gentoo box seems a bit too much for a 56K modem.
fghellar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5224
Hypnos
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fghellar wrote:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5224

This is a great script. I'm stuck with a modem connection at home and I've used it to compile lists of urls for distfiles, which I feed into GetRight and burn onto CD at work on my Windows workstation. However, a modem _is_ useful for keeping your portage tree in sync ... the ebuild scripts aren't too big, so syncing up routinely is realtively painless.

You can upgrade your system as frequently/infrequently as you like; the tradeoff is the compile time and migration difficulties. Eugenia at OSNews upgrades only once a month; she says each upgrade takes 16 hours, but I think that figure includes file downloads.

Find a friend who'd be willing to wget/GetRight a CD's worth of files every once in a while, and you'll be money.
lain iwakura
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoopster77 wrote:
My main problem is not compile time but download time. And yes fluxbox is not as big as KDE or Gnome but the continual maintenance of a Gentoo box seems a bit too much for a 56K modem.

i beg to disagree. granted, i may have more freetime then the average user, but it is possible to keep "up to date" with 56k. once you get gentoo installed (in chunks, i suppose) then maintaining is easy. i've got kde, gnome and fb on my setup. (haven't updated to 3.02 of kde because, well, i rarely use kde in the first place.)
Swishy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2002 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im also on 56k dialup and I ve found it not to bad for updating , max I ve been downloading updates is around 8hours , admitadly the install took around 2 days , but that was including compiling and im currently running kde 3.02 since then it's only been a matter of a couple of hours for most stuff , and Ive found it no problem typing emerge "whatever" before hitting the sack......

Dale.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: