Minimize the risk of accidental deletions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BillyD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 12:35 am    Post subject: Minimize the risk of accidental deletions Reply with quote

I guess this will be old news to many, but after reading a few posts asking for advice after accidentally deleting files, and doing it myself a couple of times, I thought I would include a tip for those that wish idiot proof their boxes a little more but are unsure how.

Adding the following code to your .profile gives you a few options when using the all powerful rm command.

Code:
alias rm="rm -i"

will ask you a yes or no question before the file(s) is actually deleted, giving you a second or two to think it over.

This can be annoying when you a deleting in bulk, so you can add another alias for the times when you are going to be getting rid of a lot of files:

Code:
alias del="rm"

which will not prompt you for a confirmation.
proxy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2002 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually the -f flag overrides the -i flag...so what normally do (and have come to expect on the systems i have setup) is alias rm to rm -i and what i want to do a mass deltion i just type "rm -f" which is effectivly "rm -i -f"...which of course doesnt ask :)

so by it self the alias is very intuative.

proxy
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After reading through some old posts in the forum today, I came across this handy hint:

If you create a file called '-i' in your home directory as such:
Code:
touch -- -i

if you are ever in ~ and accidentally type 'rm *' with any options (which makes it a bit more flexible than the aliases above) then the shell will expand it out to 'rm file1 file2 ... -i' which rm will interpret as being the -i option.

This is useful if you ever accidentally add a space to the command, for example:
Code:
localhost [~] $ rm -r -f src/ *

Oops! This hint might just save your home directory in this situation!
Kodama
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a tip that have saved my life a few times.

Code:
alias rm='remove'
alias emptytrash='"rm" -r /trash/*'

remove()
{
mv "$1" /trash
}
koala
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meowsqueak wrote:
After reading through some old posts in the forum today, I came across this handy hint:

If you create a file called '-i' in your home directory as such:
Code:
touch -- -i

if you are ever in ~ and accidentally type 'rm *' with any options (which makes it a bit more flexible than the aliases above) then the shell will expand it out to 'rm file1 file2 ... -i' which rm will interpret as being the -i option.

This is useful if you ever accidentally add a space to the command, for example:
Code:
localhost [~] $ rm -r -f src/ *

Oops! This hint might just save your home directory in this situation!

are you sure you know what does the -i option do in all commands you might execute?
meowsqueak
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2003 1:29 am    Post subject: Good point Reply with quote

Yeah, you make a very good point. If I'd thought about this a bit more I would have realised that too. As such, I have removed this 'helpful' little file...

Which leads to an interesting thought - what sorts of filenames can you create that cause trouble? I read somewhere about putting a special filename somewhere so that doing a 'find | xargs rm' ended up removing the root directory. You should use this instead:

Code:
$ find ... -print0 | xargs -0 ...

This handles annoying files with spaces in them too.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: