duplicating an installation?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thecooptoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: duplicating an installation? Reply with quote

ive just installed onto a 80GB HD and df says 5% is used .( basic isntallation with genkernel)
I now want to do another installation for a machine with a 60 GB HD

dd wont do it. I dont think partimage will .
is there a way of copying the filesystem across that will give me a 2nd bootable machine without spending a couple of days installing kde and the apps i want ?[/gwn]
BradN
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boot a livecd on the target system and get networking and sshd up, fdisk, format, and mount partitions to /mnt/gentoo.

On the source system, mount your /boot partition, do "mount -o bind / /mnt/gentoo", "mount -o bind /boot /mnt/gentoo/boot", then run:

Code:
cd /mnt/gentoo; tar -cvz . | ssh target-system "cd /mnt/gentoo; tar -xzp"

The bind mounting is the important step lots of people miss, since otherwise you end up copying the contents of udev's /dev, /proc, and /sys to the target, which you won't want. Bind mounting will only pick up the filesystem at its root and not things mounted under it.

Optionally you can remove the -z's from the tar commands if you'd prefer faster copying over effecient network use. Using one command line to clone a machine over a network? Yeah, just try that in Windows...

As a cautionary note, I've had a bizarre issue with KDE when doing this - it won't want to show the desktop contents after logging in. I'm not sure if it's a permissions problem or what, but after I emerge some things (probably baselayout), the problem goes away. It's strange because permissions and everything should be preserved properly...

After things are copied, you just have to install grub, change relevant config files (/etc/fstab, /etc/conf.d/net, etc) and you should be good to go.
nixnut
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo to Duplicate Threads.
Moved in favour of https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=122281

talk is cheap. supply exceeds demand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: